Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharpening used burrs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sharpening used burrs

    Does anyone know if a company exists that sharpens old grinder burrs? I have a mazzer mini doser and generally replace the burrs at around 100 to 150kg or depending on when the clumping starts! This however leaves a lot of the burr and I wondered if they could be re sharpened?

    Cheers

  • #2
    Unless the burrs are made of lead I sincerely doubt that they need sharpening every 100 to 150kg

    Comment


    • #3
      Can you explain the clumping another way?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CoffeeBloke View Post
        Does anyone know if a company exists that sharpens old grinder burrs? I have a mazzer mini doser and generally replace the burrs at around 100 to 150kg or depending on when the clumping starts! This however leaves a lot of the burr and I wondered if they could be re sharpened?

        Cheers
        Anything is possible, however however I imagine getting some one to jig up to do it here in Aust would be an expensive process.
        At about $50 a set your probably better off buying new.
        I recall years ago we used to have dreadnought rasps chemically resharpened (acid) they lasted for a while but were never as good a a new tool.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
          Unless the burrs are made of lead I sincerely doubt that they need sharpening every 100 to 150kg
          I bought a set of non genuine burrs for my Rocky once, they were a few dollars cheaper than the genuine article, big mistake, reckon I got about 10kg out of them before they needed replacing again, the next set being from Rancilio, they were still going strong when I sold the machine a few years later.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Yelta,

            That was my conclusion but just wondered if anyone knew of any machine shops offering sharpening services for difficult items. Finding genuine mazzer blades is an issue too as there are few places that stock them and the vast majority of retailers don't advertise that their product is not genuine before purchase (online)!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CoffeeBloke View Post
              Can you explain the clumping another way?
              Humidity, static electricity, coffee oils from darker roasts, etc....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CoffeeBloke View Post
                Thanks Yelta,

                That was my conclusion but just wondered if anyone knew of any machine shops offering sharpening services for difficult items. Finding genuine mazzer blades is an issue too as there are few places that stock them and the vast majority of retailers don't advertise that their product is not genuine before purchase (online)!
                Any of the sponsors who sell Mazzer should be able to source genuine Mazzer burrs.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CoffeeBloke View Post
                  Thanks Yelta,

                  That was my conclusion but just wondered if anyone knew of any machine shops offering sharpening services for difficult items. Finding genuine mazzer blades is an issue too as there are few places that stock them and the vast majority of retailers don't advertise that their product is not genuine before purchase (online)!
                  A Google search turned up a couple of supposedly genuine Mazzer suppliers, have a read here Mazzer Burrs - Coffeetime re genuine burrs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've looked at flat burrs before and thought they should be really easy to sharpen. It's the planar outer surface that is usually blunt. Grab some 1200 grit wet/dry, a mirror and go for it I say. It would (should) be more $$ in skilled labour for someone to do it mechanically than the replacement cost.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, any good machine shop will be able to grind the plates but as they normally have a minimum charge, it is probably no cheaper and possible more expensive than buying a new set.

                      As per c_m post directly above.....have a go, you surely cant bugger them any more than they already are if they are genuinely worn.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I stil think this whole thing is a non issue.... to quote the wisest of the wise, on this forum in any event.... Attilio (Fresh_Coffee)... when the exact same topic came up a while ago (the question of worn burrs on a Mazzer Mini)...

                        "And if it is in home use, you will never know because you wont wear out a set of these plates in home use in somewhere around 25 years at say 300 grams a week average use!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks everyone for your input. I'll have a go and see what happens, lost nothing after all!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X