Mazzer or what else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer or what else

I`m a novice looking to set up a good grinder and espresso machine.
    lets just talk the grinder.
    My 1st choice is a Mazzer grinder not sure which one yet, like I said I`m a novice.
    Any thoughts please

Depends on how you are going to use it,

How many cups of coffee will you make a day?

Will you be using it for more then one kind of coffee plunger/drip/espresso?

Whats your budget? Mazzers can be $3500 or they can be $400 depending on the model and if its new/used.

I think its a good choice, I have a mazzer super jolly and I like it. If I was spending the money again I would probably buy a HG 1 HG one - tools for building better coffee

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      Its for home and I`m thinking of pairing it up with one of these machines (yet to finalize my choice)

1. Giotto rocket Premium Plus

2. Isomac Tea Due Coffee Machine

If I can find a cheap used Elektra model I`ll get that as well as one of the above.

I`ll be making 2 per day maybe 4 on the weekends. Price no more than $1300
      I`m ok with new or used as long as it dose a good job

cheers

Comment

Mazzer or what else

Like muppet_man said, can you give some more information on the intended use. Have you thought about the compak k3? I have a k3 touch, and I love mine.

Comment

Mazzer or what else

Well there we go. Spoke too soon. I think the k3 or mazzer mini would be fantastic for you.

Comment

used for milk biased coffee ....

Comment

Mazzer or what else

Espresso only, or plunger/drip/aeropress as well? If so, you may be better off with a stepped grinder. But if just espresso, you'd be better off with a stepless such as the k3 or mini.

Comment

I don't want to rain on your parade, but why are you fixated on a Mazzer? I'm certainly not dissing the Mazzer, but there are a heap of other grinder brands out there that will do a great job for you, dependent on what you want from it of course. Where are you located? My suggestion would be to head into a local grinder supplier, ideally a site sponsor and have a look and feel of the grinders on offer. Also, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the sticky topic located at the top of the grinder area about choosing a grinder for the first time, its good reading.
                All the best,
                Steve.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                  I`m from Brisbane and my drink of choice is double flat white.
                  I was given the brand of Mazzer to start that was my reason to go there.
                  I`ll have a look at the k3 and read sticky topic as I can do with some more reading ;-)

Comment

For the volume of coffee you are anticipating, may I suggest you look at a manual solution.

I am in a similar situation where I basically make coffee's for myself and the occassional guest. I found it hard to justify spending the dollars required for a quality electric grinder, when a manual grinder would service all my anticipated quantity needs.

After thoroughly reviewing all brands/models available, I chose the Rosco Mini Hand Grinder from Portaspresso, and couldn't imagine being any happier with the precision tool. The workmanship is exemplary, and just as importantly, the quality of the grind is consistent and first class.

I bought mine about 4 months ago, and has averaged two sessions per day since. I thoroughly enjoy the tactile feel that hand grinding allows, and after a while you develop a "sixth sense" as to whether the grind settings are correct, mainly from the resistance you feel when grinding. When changing to a different roast, I am finding I can now nail down the grind size change needed after about one alteration on the inbuilt scale.

Operation is simplicity itself. I use a small precision scale to measure out 18.2g and I can grind that for my 18g VST basket in approx 40 seconds using a slow steady turn. Clean up consists of a quick 5 seconds (literally) sweep of a tooth brush around the outlet, while holding the grinder over the sink. That 0.2 grams of grind retention is about a single beans worth!

Another aspect of a manual grinder is the ability to offer guests the option to do the grinding themselves. They usually enjoy the novel experience and helps them to feel involved in the coffee making experience

Cheers!

Comment

Just looked at the K3 first impression is that it looks better than the mini and cost less

Comment

Mahlkonig Pro M $1300ish rrp (i have one that i am keen to sell, but thats for another thread) Baratza's from $200rrp and up are awesome little grinders aswell. As Lovey said there are so much more great grinders to choose from. Even a second hand anfim would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcat69 View Post
                          Just looked at the K3 first impression is that it looks better than the mini and cost less
                          I have a Mini and wouldn't change it for quids, having said that the K3 has gained an excellent reputation here and certainly seems to be good value for money, of these two I'm pretty sure you will be happy whichever way you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            I have a Mini and wouldn't change it for quids, having said that the K3 has gained an excellent reputation here and certainly seems to be good value for money, of these two I'm pretty sure you will be happy whichever way you go.
                            I don't think I would describe the K3 as better. The durability and grind quality is said to be on par. The grind adjustment color on Mazzers is superior as in my humble opinion the overall aesthetic. Mini E's also have a convenient portafilter holder and make less mess. K3 dosers have a built in tamper that cant be removed and is imho pretty ugly, if you remove the doser lid they they again look a bit weird.

Comment

Mazzer or what else

Originally posted by muppet_man67 View Post
                              I don't think I would describe the K3 as better. The durability and grind quality is said to be on par. The grind adjustment color on Mazzers is superior as in my humble opinion the overall aesthetic. Mini E's also have a convenient portafilter holder and make less mess. K3 dosers have a built in tamper that cant be removed and is imho pretty ugly, if you remove the doser lid they they again look a bit weird.
                              Not having used a mazzer. I can't comment on the performance, but I can on appearances. I prefer the k3 to the mazzer mini doser. But the mini e in comparison to the k3's looks. However, I would suggest a doserless grinder for the OP rather than a doser. This leaves the k3 push, or mini e, and the mini e is a lot more price wise...

Comment

Working...
                              X