Adjusting a K3T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting a K3T

just got my K3 touch and am having a little trouble setting it up, I cant get it to grind any finer than like a fine sand, if I turn the adjustment to the finer direction it wont pick up the beans and just spins with nothing coming out, Have I missed something in the initial set up?

The adjustments that need to be made to go from a fine "sand" texture to fine "powderish" grind are quite small.

I use the vertical edge of the black plastic collar on mine as a pointer to line up the dots. The numbers are pretty meaningless other than to give you a point of reference to return to.Try 1 or 2 dots finer at a time from where you had the "fine sand texture". Pinch the grinds between your fingers. A good starting point is where the grinds are starting to hold together without leaving a fingerprint. If you see a fingerprint go a touch coarser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000211(1).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	733830

You may have already clogged the internals with fine grinds if nothing is coming out. If this has happened, remove the hopper and try vacuuming out while using a long bristled grinder brush to loosen the grinds. Be careful about shoving anything up the chute too vigorously. There is a small plastic V shaped clump breaker at the exit of the grinding chamber into the chute. If you push something too far up the chute it is possible to have the fingers of the V pointing into the grinding chamber instead of pointing down the chute. This will cause grinds to be retained in the chamber rather than flow freely down the chute. If you shine a torch up the chute you can see the clump breaker as per photo below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000302.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	733832

If none of this works consult your Grinder User Manual on how to remove the top burr to thoroughly clean inside or to reposition the clump breaker correctly if need be. Care needs to be taken with the burr carrier thread when reassembling so as not to damage it through cross threading by not aligning properly before tightening. Once the stop screw is removed the burr carrier is removed by turning clockwise and reassembled by turning anti-clockwise which is opposite to normal threads.

Comment

I bought A K3 Touch last Saturday. When I first set it up the grind was quite fine where it was. I played with the grind settings to see what adjustments could be made and found that after moving it to quite a course setting that I could not move it back to the fine setting I had before. It took quite a while of moving it back and forth quite forcefully to eventually get it back into the fine range. I checked the manual to see if perhaps there was a locking nut (for shipping) that needed to be loosened but the manual is very confusing and it's for 4 different grinder models, it's hard to tell what paragraphs related to what models.

Comment

When adjusting a grinder to make the grounds finer make sure it is completely empty or if there's beans in it that it is running.

Java "Hurray for the finer things in life" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
          When adjusting a grinder to make the grounds finer make sure it is completely empty or if there's beans in it that it is running.

Java "Hurray for the finer things in life" phile
          Elementary my dear Java, ain't it amazing though when you have been using machinery of any type for a long time how you take these simple and obvious things (to us) for granted.

Comment

Yes...of courser. Thanks Javaphile.
            It's amazing how when you get a new toy you try to do the right thing and go through the manual but for some reason the knowledge you built up from previous experience goes out the window.

But my opinion of the tiny manual still holds, it's a bit rubbish. Many of the item numbers in the text don't relate to the numbers on the images. Also the setting switch according to the manual can apparently be set to position 1 or 2 but the switch on my machine has M or T.

Comment

Originally posted by CDJansen60 View Post
              I bought A K3 Touch last Saturday. When I first set it up the grind was quite fine where it was. I played with the grind settings to see what adjustments could be made and found that after moving it to quite a course setting that I could not move it back to the fine setting I had before. It took quite a while of moving it back and forth quite forcefully to eventually get it back into the fine range. I checked the manual to see if perhaps there was a locking nut (for shipping) that needed to be loosened but the manual is very confusing and it's for 4 different grinder models, it's hard to tell what paragraphs related to what models.
              This is basically what has happened with me and I agree the manual is rather confusing. From the coarse setting that it is at now there doesnt seem to be enough movement anticlockwise to get a finer grind

Comment

Check this recent thread people http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...-grinding.html good information relevant to the K3T.

Comment

Originally posted by CDJansen60 View Post
                  But my opinion of the tiny manual still holds, it's a bit rubbish.
                  I'm not sure what instructions come with the grinder these days but the download for the Compak K3 from the Compak web-site clearly states :-

"Note that you should only change grind settings when the machine is on and burrs are in motion. If you do not do this, the burrs will gunk up and cleaning will be required. Changing the grind settings when the burrs are not in motion will cause the grinder to only make very coarse grinds or no grinds at all."

http://www.compak.es/docs/manual_Gourmet_8ID.pdf
                  Page 20 near bottom of page "Preparing coffee grinder"

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                    I'm not sure what instructions come with the grinder these days but the download for the Compak K3 from the Compak web-site clearly states :-

"Note that you should only change grind settings when the machine is on and burrs are in motion. If you do not do this, the burrs will gunk up and cleaning will be required. Changing the grind settings when the burrs are not in motion will cause the grinder to only make very coarse grinds or no grinds at all."

http://www.compak.es/docs/manual_Gourmet_8ID.pdf
                    Page 20 near bottom of page "Preparing coffee grinder"
                    Interesting, bit an Achilles heel.

Comment

thanks for that info

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                        Interesting, bit of an Achilles heel.
                        I think you'll find this is common to all flat burr grinders no matter the brand.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, its a good idea not to adjust the grind fineness while the grinder is switched off unless you know it is totally empty. This is especially valid when changing to a finer grind setting.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                          I think you'll find this is common to all flat burr grinders no matter the brand.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, its a good idea not to adjust the grind fineness while the grinder is switched off unless you know it is totally empty. This is especially valid when changing to a finer grind setting.
                          Have never experienced it with the Mazzer Mini, mind you I weigh each and every shot and never leave beans in the hopper, the grinder is always empty when I finish using it.

Comment

Yeh, I've never had a problem making the grind coarser while the K3 burrs are not rotating. But I always have the burrs rotating (or grinder empty) when making the grind finer.

Comment

Thanks for that link CafeLotta.

That manual is much better than the one in the box, which is for (I check last night) 7 of their grinders and certainly doesn't have the paragraph you quoted in it. In fact it states "Remove the hopper lid. Fill the hopper with coffee. Replace the hopper lid. Press the ON/OFF button and open the shutter to let coffee through. Remove the dispenser lid and turn the grind regulator to the desired setting." To me this meant the grinder had to be powered on but not that it had to be running. But as you say it does make sense that the burrs need to be running, especially if you are adjusting finer.

Comment

Working...
                              X