Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K3 regular cleaning. Rice?

Hi Members
    With a new, @ one month old, K3 push I have turned my attention to the need to regularly clean
    i am aware of the Grinderz system but recently read online that grinding through uncooked rice grains is an acceptable alternative.
    Comments please

Regarding rice, the K3 is designed for grinding coffee not rice, besides it's totally unnecessary, don't use it.

Remove the top burr carrier and give every thing a good brush out, then clean up with a vacuum cleaner every few month and all will be well.

Comment

There have bean (ha, pun not intended) many posts over the years about rice and coffee grinders. Basically, don't do it. Rice is too hard. Ruin your burrs. As Yelta said, brush it, vaccuum it. And you should be set.

Comment

Many thanks Yelta and David8
        will just have to eat the rice. Ha

Comment

Maybe have a read of this thread - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...tml#post497143 - before removing the top burr carrier.

Removing the hopper and giving the internals of the grinder a good vacuum while using a long bristled grinder brush will usually suffice for regular cleaning. Removing the top burr carrier (if you feel confident to do so) is only required if the grinder seems to be clogging or has changed in the way it grinds noticeably. There is the potential to cause thread damage if threads aren't lubed or are misaligned when reassembling.

Page 24 of this manual gives some details on disassembling/assembling - http://www.compak.es/docs/manual_Gourmet_8ID.pdf

Comment

It's not possible to clean the grinding chamber of a grinder without removing the burr carrier, unless your seriously ham fisted replacing it without crossing the threads is a simple process, here's a link to a good clip explaining the process Coffee Tech: Grinder Cleaning & Calibration - YouTube

Lubing the thread is unnecessary, grease of any type is a magnet for debris and will only serve to make the cleaning process more difficult, I used a Rocky for 10 years and a Mazzer Mini for the past 3, never used grease or any other lubricant and have never experienced a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
              Lubing the thread is unnecessary, grease of any type is a magnet for debris and will only serve to make the cleaning process more difficult,
              Sorry Yelta but I can't agree with you on this one in regard to the Compak K3. It appears that you haven't used one? Not using lube is asking for trouble on this grinder. Big difference between using H1 food grade grease sparingly and caking it on. If used correctly, there will be little residue to collect debris. I've never had an issue using it. A stiff long bristled brush will loosen most of the grinds on the K3 without removing the top burr carrier. Removal is only neccessary if a difference in grinding is noticed or maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a more comprehensive clean depending on frequency of use.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                Sorry Yelta but I can't agree with you on this one in regard to the Compak K3. It appears that you haven't used one? Not using lube is asking for trouble on this grinder. Big difference between using H1 food grade grease sparingly and caking it on. If used correctly, there will be little residue to collect debris. I've never had an issue using it. A stiff long bristled brush will loosen most of the grinds on the K3 without removing the top burr carrier. Removal is only neccessary if a difference in grinding is noticed or maybe 2 or 3 times a year for a more comprehensive clean depending on frequency of use.
                No need for apology CL, your right, have never seen a K3 in the flesh so to speak, how do they differ from similar grinders in the burr carrier thread area, material used, the way the thread was cut or something else, what will happen if lube is not used?

Have worked with machinery most of my life so understand the difference between sparing use of grease and slathering it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  No need for apology CL, your right, have never seen a K3 in the flesh so to speak, how do they differ from similar grinders in the burr carrier thread area, material used, the way the thread was cut or something else, what will happen if lube is not used?
                  Can't comment on Mazzer, Rocky, Baritza etc as I haven't had any hands-on with them. I guess as with all manufactured items, the materials used are in keeping with the price point in the market that they slot into.

The brass top burr carrier on the K3 is one serious lump of metal. The alloy body of the grinder is obviously a softer metal than the brass. As previously mentioned when the threads engage you can feel resistance so if lube isn't used, eventually there's only one likely result - the softer metal will come off second best. I'm sure in the past most of us have learnt the hard way that softer alloys need to be treated with care. As long as people are aware of this, it isn't really an issue.

The classic "I'll get the car fixed over the weekend" usually came unstuck when that extra 1/4 turn stripped a thread in an alloy part which wasn't available late on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe as fewer people get their hands dirty these days, lessons such as these are learnt in a different manner?

Comment

Working...
                  X