Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grinder to get?

Hi,

I have a breville bes860 machine with the inbuilt grinder.

Just recently the grinder seems to have stopped working but the machine and steamwand is still working fine. I cleaned the grinder out but it is still not working and if I can’t get it to work I am thinking of getting a separate grinder to use with this machine and maybe upgrade the machine at some point in the future when it stops working.

I am not sure what grinder to get. I would be looking at most $500 budget but would prefer less than that. I have been looking at the rocky or k3 push at top end of budget. I am not sure about the breveille smart grinder but would probably prefer a different brand. I don’t make that many coffees so would be looking at a doserless mode and something not too massive in size. I would appreciate any advice on what grinders to consider.

Thanks for any advice.

I am quite satisfied with my Sunbeam EM0480 and the EM0450, but advice from around the site is I could be doing much better if I upgrade. For me, money is the issue and will be for a while yet. I'd say it depends on your level of expectation for your coffee. Don't take this wrong and I am not being rude, but my experience of machines with built in grinders is not impressive; having said that, they were also all before I got into making proper coffee so maybe I could have improved things if I knew then what I know now.

What I am getting at is you may be just fine NOT going top of the range just now - chances are you can get at least the equal of what you had for quite a bit less than $500.

On the other hand, depending on where you are, you could go visit one of the site sponsors and see how the experts make it - if that blows your socks off you might want to go as good as you can afford right now - the grind IS important in making great coffee. If your taste buds require it, pay the money for the best you can get - note that might NOT be the most expensive.

Comment

Is the issue what would you like to have in several years time?

Certainly better grinders do give a richer tasting coffee and will last a long time with domestic use.

Assuming that in the next 2 years the machine will die what would you like to get to replace it?

How keen and how fussy you are about coffee is a personal thing.

Comment

I've been through a EM0480, Smart Grinder and now have a K3.....wish I saved myself the fuss and not to mention money by just buying a K3 off the bat.

The K3 is built like a tank compared to the appliance brands and will last you a long time if you look after it.

It's definitely bigger though.

Comment

the smart grinder is hard to beat at the price, but if you can afford a K3 why not?

Comment

Nabsie, we must have followed the same train track... Like you i had a EM0480, smart grinder and now a K3. Also now knowing what i know i wish i had have just bought a K3. I didnt think there would be a big difference between the each but there is.

When it comes down to it you need to work out what your budget is and be satisfied it is what you want. Many people on here can give you plenty of info. It might be worth while email the site sponsors..

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If i was to upgrade the machine when it dies it would be to something like a silvia or oscar thereabouts. Just looking for something that will last a while and work with a new machine at some point.

Might try to email the sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack View Post
                Thanks for the replies. If i was to upgrade the machine when it dies it would be to something like a silvia or oscar thereabouts. Just looking for something that will last a while and work with a new machine at some point.
                Given this it really seems like the K3 is the best option, although best to have a look at it in person to see if you like the ergonomics some people find it a bit fiddly. Just to note I don't own one yet but the K3 is on my personal upgrade list.

Comment

Working...
                X