Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky feed issue

Hi guys,

So recently I bought a Rancilio Rocky doserless grinder. Generally it has been performing very well, but on a few occasions it appears that the feed of beans from the hopper to the burrs has been disturbed. Two or three times, mid-grind, coffee has stopped feeding down, and the burrs sound exactly like they would if you were running it without any coffee. It is almost like it doesn't have the power-I emptied the hopper each time (it was no where near full) put just a few beans in and it goes fine. Any ideas what could be happening? I ran some grindz through it this afternoon in case it was a cleaning issue.

What sort of beans are you using?
    Sometimes large and/or oily beans can get caught on the way through.

Comment

It is a Guatemala Pacamara at the moment, but it has happened with another bean as well. The former are quite large beans. Is it just a matter of only putting a minimal amount in the hopper?

Comment

Well actually sometimes more can be better. The extra weight can help with the feeding.
        Another option (at you own peril) is to maybe remove the finger guard.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
          Another option (at you own peril) is to maybe remove the finger guard.
          Yep removing the finger/bounce guard will help.
          The Rocky has always had a little trouble digesting large beans, Maragogype is a variety that gave my Rocky fits. THE MARAGOGYPE COFFEE | Italian Espresso

Comment

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Why did they put a "Finger Guard" in the hopper.....because some times you have to help the beans down a little !!
              ..Actually some folk think that device is a "Pressure breaker" to stop the weight of a full hopper of beans pressing down too much into the burrs ?

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                Why did they put a "Finger Guard" in the hopper.....?
                Because most people need to be protected from themselves.

Comment

It's a finger/bounce guard, never heard of it referred to as a pressure breaker.

Comment

Working...
                  X