Could my grinder be burning my beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could my grinder be burning my beans?

I have a silvia with PID that has been consistantly been producing burnt shots since i bought it.

I bought a new Breville smart grinder with it and no matter what grind/tamp combo or pid temp from 106 down by 1 degree each time to 90 there is still a burnt taste in the crema and shot residue. I always thought it was me or maybe the silvia but then had an idea that because of the constant burnt taste that maybe it happened before the shot.

I have not yet been able to try another grinder but did (at the risk of burning it out) start and stop my grinder so it never
    reached a high speed while grinding a shot, less than 1 second on at a time and low and behold no burnt taste!

Was wondering if any more experienced snobs had heard or come across this problem.

Mine was consistently sour the whole time when using the SG because it could not grind fine enough

Comment

Do the grounds smell burnt when they come out of the grinder?

Comment

What beans are you using Ozcutter? If you roasted them yourself, how dark did you do so?

Comment

Oki, it will grind fine enough to choke.
          Barry, several types of locally roasted beans all fresh, reliably and all with much the same result.
          dski, I will check and let you know

Comment

Perhaps the next time you buy beans, ask the roaster to grind some of them so you've got a baseline to measure your grinder against.

Comment

you might be over extracting. how long is a shot taking? 25-30 secs? usual question, are you making singles or doubles? I'd try a few shots ground coarser and see what happens (apologies if you've done this). might also be worth giving the grinder a good clean.

Comment

Argh! beans beans beans. Have tried a bean from a coffee van i particularly liked a coffee from and managed to get hold of a kilo and immediate difference, was definitely a lighter roast thanks Barry.
                Richard, coarser seems to be the solution. Running a bit coarser shots are taking about 20 seconds but no burnt taste. As soon as i go finer burnt taste comes back

Comment

Do your 20 second shots taste sour at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozcutter View Post
                    Argh! beans beans beans. Have tried a bean from a coffee van i particularly liked a coffee from and managed to get hold of a kilo and immediate difference, was definitely a lighter roast thanks Barry.
                    Richard, coarser seems to be the solution. Running a bit coarser shots are taking about 20 seconds but no burnt taste. As soon as i go finer burnt taste comes back

tried the coarse grind and increase the dose? (been out of e-mail contact for a few weeks. it is still possible to do this if one travels far enough)

Comment

Working...
                    X