Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compak K3T Easy Newbie Q's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Compak K3T Easy Newbie Q's

    A couple of quick ones.

    To anyone who only drinks only a couple of cups a day, do you use the timer? I'm finding that I weigh the beans per shot and then just let it run. (1-2 shots per day for me) I can't see much advantage to the timer given my type of use? Or maybe I'm missing something in my workflow? A good tool for the higher usage users though I suppose.

    New Burrs!! Everyone on the forum seems to be getting new burrs lately.. I know there are a lot of variables, but how long / how many kilos of beans would a k3 go through before needing new burrs. I've only done a touch over a kilo, so I'm just curious.

    Grind Retention. After I've ground a shot seems to be a bit left over (or built up), at the very top of the shoot, and I usually just use a skewer or something to knock it out before I use it next. Also on and around the burrs. The burrs look to keep a reasonable amount a grind on or around them and also down in inside the lower burr (if that makes sense). I'm guessing this is all normal, but how often to you guys get rid of the old grind?

    Thanks heaps!

  • #2
    It has been a while since I owned a K3T.

    Originally posted by bowds1122 View Post
    To anyone who only drinks only a couple of cups a day, do you use the timer?
    No. I think I may have used it when making french press but not for espresso.

    Originally posted by bowds1122 View Post
    New Burrs!! Everyone on the forum seems to be getting new burrs lately.. I know there are a lot of variables, but how long / how many kilos of beans would a k3 go through before needing new burrs. I've only done a touch over a kilo, so I'm just curious.
    The life of burrs is something like 300kg. So you have plenty of time.

    Originally posted by bowds1122 View Post
    Grind Retention. After I've ground a shot seems to be a bit left over (or built up), at the very top of the shoot, and I usually just use a skewer or something to knock it out before I use it next. Also on and around the burrs. The burrs look to keep a reasonable amount a grind on or around them and also down in inside the lower burr (if that makes sense). I'm guessing this is all normal, but how often to you guys get rid of the old grind?
    I used to use a skewer to knock out the old grinds. These days I just pulse the grinder, dump the first bit into the knock box and then start my grind.

    Comment


    • #3
      I use the timer, I don't get why people have issues with it. At 5.45am I am not up to weighing beans and I make a lot less mess with the timer than without. I find it pretty consistent.

      I never worry about retained grinds, I just give the first coffee to the wife...

      Comment

      Working...
      X