Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from Rocky grinder - anything to be gained?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upgrade from Rocky grinder - anything to be gained?

    Well its been 4 years since my Rancilio Rocky/Silvia combo - both which have served me well. However, its time for an upgrade on the expresso machine I'm currently looking at replacing the Silvia with a Diadema Junior HX machine but would like to leave the Rocky as is. Would i be 'bottlenecking' my Diadema machine by doing this - and should (If I could) upgrade the Rocky as well and what would i gain out of upgrading it.

    I basically use the machine once a day, twice on weekends. (To make 2 cups on average)

  • #2
    Shortly after I bought the Bezzera I sold my 10 year old Rocky and upgraded to a Mazzer Mini.

    There was an improvement, however not exactly a game changer.

    The Rocky is/was a very good little grinder, it served me well.

    PS, I'm more than happy with the Mazzer, don't see any further upgrades on the horizon.

    Comment


    • #3
      What did you notice in the improvement? *as i can't really fault anything about the Rocky, its compartment is the perfect size for me as well (fits 250grams in perfectly)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by su888 View Post
        What did you notice in the improvement? *as i can't really fault anything about the Rocky, its compartment is the perfect size for me as well (fits 250grams in perfectly)
        That was three years ago, as I said, I recall an improvement, however, the Rocky was a very good little grinder so the improvement was not enormous.

        If Rocky is doing the job why change?

        Of course if you have the spare cash and the desire why not?

        Just reread your last post, (fits 250grams in perfectly) do you store your beans in the hopper? definitely not recommended, beans go stale very quickly stored in this manner.

        Suggest, storing in one way valve bags and adding to the grinder as required, this may improve your coffee more than upgrading the grinder.

        Comment


        • #5
          i recently had a Rocky with doser that I bought used... it had a few mods done to it at the time... one was the clear tube mod around the hopper to stop it vibrating, and the other was the stepless mod... (also had the sweeper mod for the doser if thats the same as yours)

          to me, it worked really well for me to be able to make the fine adjustments... I guess most people say that once you have a better machine, you will need the stepless adjustment to get the best out of it... since then, I have used a Macap and now a Mazzer super jolly... and going by memory, I didnt think I would have noticed the difference with my taste... I would say the rocky is noisier and slower than the Macap (after I changed the burr) and the Mazzer...

          Since you already have it, I would suggest modding it to see if it can cope with you new machine, and the good thing is that these mods are fully reversible...

          Overall, I liked the rocky, but only got rid of it because I wanted a Mazzer, and had too many grinders in the house

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            That was three years ago, as I said, I recall an improvement, however, the Rocky was a very good little grinder so the improvement was not enormous.

            If Rocky is doing the job why change?

            Of course if you have the spare cash and the desire why not?

            Just reread your last post, (fits 250grams in perfectly) do you store your beans in the hopper? definitely not recommended, beans go stale very quickly stored in this manner.

            Suggest, storing in one way valve bags and adding to the grinder as required, this may improve your coffee more than upgrading the grinder.
            No i have no desire to upgrade something that is fit for purpose, my question was more if it would be a hinderance using a Rocky on a Diadema Junior since its a pretty reasonable upgrade from a Silvia.

            Point taken about avoid storing the beans in the hopper (they proably last a week or so on average before i get a new bag). I will proably leave my Rocky alone as upgrading it seems to be one of little benefit.

            Comment


            • #7
              When I upgraded from a Silvia to a Giotto I got a Compak K3 to run alongside my rocky, which has a stepless mod.

              The Compak is slightly quicker, but not significantly, grinding 18g in about 17 seconds, compared to about 20 in the rocky.

              It's really hard to say that the k3 is better. I prefer it, it feels more precise than the modded rocky, but I haven't really tested it properly.

              Bottom line, make your rocky stepless for a huge improvement.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by su888 View Post
                No i have no desire to upgrade something that is fit for purpose, my question was more if it would be a hinderance using a Rocky on a Diadema Junior since its a pretty reasonable upgrade from a Silvia.

                Point taken about avoid storing the beans in the hopper (they proably last a week or so on average before i get a new bag). I will proably leave my Rocky alone as upgrading it seems to be one of little benefit.
                A week in the hopper they will be well and truly stale. Any excess in my hopper goes back in the bag when I'm finished with the grinder.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I upgraded the old Sunbeam EM6910 to a Giotto Rocket about 12 months ago and used my old em0480 (which was well out of it's depth) to start with - was hard to justify (to my wife!!!) the purchase of a new grinder too. Shortly after I managed to get a free Rocky grinder through a points program at work and this made a world of difference. The difference in shot quality was huge and would probably be as good as, if not better than most cafes. Depending on the beans I have to grind at dial settings 9 or 10 and get continually good results on my shots. I'm guessing a better quality grinder will probably produce better results again but I don't think it would be like the huge difference I saw on my original upgrade to the Rocky. I would say if your Rocky is in good condition it may be worth sticking with it for now rather than just upgrading for the sake of it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                    A week in the hopper they will be well and truly stale. Any excess in my hopper goes back in the bag when I'm finished with the grinder.
                    Silly question but how do you get the excess beans into a bag? Do you flip the unit upside down and get it out through the doser?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sorry, I use a different grinder. I just remove the hopper and pour them out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Probably the most common criticism I've heard with the Rocky, is that the step changes between stops is excessive for fine-tuning espresso shots. Other than that, it is basically a domesticated Rancilio MD-40...

                        There are a couple of very simple and fully reversible mod's that can be applied to the Rocky, that will overcome the step-change issue and if you're happy with everything else your Rocky does for you, I can't really see the need to go any further than this. You can do a search in the Grinder thread to find that Mod, and it will probably cost you less than a dollar to complete...

                        All the best,
                        Mal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have been using my Rocky with my Diadema Perfetta for several years and anything lacking in my shots is due to my skills not the Rocky.
                          I have never felt that the step-changes were too 'gross' to fine tune the grinder, I frankly don't think my best shots could be much better on this machine.
                          I think past a certain point with the grind it is more about the other variables than the grind.
                          When Rocky (the grinder, not me) has had his day I will probably go to a MM but that is a few years in the future.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If someone in your local area has a different grinder maybe you could invite them over for a grind off and a coffee or two..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                              I have never felt that the step-changes were too 'gross' to fine tune the grinder
                              G'day Rocky...

                              I wasn't ascribing to that statement particularly but for some people it has been something that caused them a problem. It is of course easily overcome via the adjustment of dose size but this can be a difficult skill to acquire for some. I owned and used a Rocky D/L for several years and found it to be an excellent little grinder...

                              Mal.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X