Mazzer Mini bean storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazzer Mini bean storage

I have a Mazzer Mini and up until now have only been putting in enough beans to make the coffees I want in a session. I've read that I should have the weight of more beans on top to get a better grind but I don't want to keep all my beans in the storage funnel because I fear they will go stale. One YouTube video I watched recommended putting on the lid, closing the sliding tab and storing. But this is hardly airtight.

Do I continue my current practice or is there a way to keep the beans fresh in the storage funnel?

If you like the coffee the way you are doing it, stick with it and keep your beans fresh. They will go stale if stored in the grinder.

I do the same as you with my Breville Smart Grinder, adding just enough beans when I grind and I like the results.

Barry

Comment

Further to Barry's comments, I pour approximately how much I need into the funnel, and then weigh the grounds in my basket.

I generally have a bit left in the neck, so probably getting a bit of staleness in each cup, but haven't noticed a problem with the taste. I'd rather this than wasting 10-20% of the bag for "ultimate freshness"

Comment

I store my roasted beans in a one way valve bag, leave the hopper empty, weigh the beans for each shot, grind them, brush out the delivery chute, turn the grinder on againfor a couple of seconds so that it spits out any loose grounds that may be floating around then dose, takes a few seconds but freshly ground beans every shot.
        The grinder is a Mazzer Mini.

"should have the weight of more beans on top to get a better grind" perhaps so, I prefer fresh coffee to an imperceptible/marginal improvement in the grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          I store my roasted beans in a one way valve bag, leave the hopper empty, weigh the beans for each shot, grind them, brush out the delivery chute, turn the grinder on againfor a couple of seconds so that it spits out any loose grounds that may be floating around then dose, takes a few seconds but freshly ground beans every shot.
          The grinder is a Mazzer Mini.
          Excellent. This is what I do bar weighing the beans. That will be the next step.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            "should have the weight of more beans on top to get a better grind" perhaps so, I prefer fresh coffee to an imperceptible/marginal improvement in the grind.
            Yeah, this recommendation makes sense if you entertain a lot or go through heaps of coffee in a day, as it will maintain a consistent grind throughout, until you reach the top of the hat covering the grinder throat. I don't worry about weighing each shot but otherwise I do pretty much the same as you Yelta....

Mal.

Comment

When I first got my Mazzer Mini Electronic I did a little experiment. I weighed equally timed doses with the hopper containing 250 g all the way until the hopper was empty. I found that there was no real difference in doses as the hopper load changed. I didn't think that the quality of the grind changed either.

Comment

Working...
              X