Rice as Grinder Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice as Grinder Cleaner

For years my cleaning technique for my Compak K3 T and Rancilio Rocky before that has been an expensive dose of Grindz, an occasional vacuum and a FAR more occasional disassemble and clean.
    But sheesh! Grindz is a pricey item, especially if you use it as often as you should. What is the current consensus on cleaning a grinder with uncooked 2-minute white rice?

-PW

Originally posted by pwp View Post
    For years my cleaning technique for my Compak K3 T and Rancilio Rocky before that has been an expensive dose of Grindz, an occasional vacuum and a FAR more occasional disassemble and clean.
    But sheesh! Grindz is a pricey item, especially if you use it as often as you should. What is the current consensus on cleaning a grinder with uncooked 2-minute white rice?

-PW
    Mine hasn't changed. I also tried 2 minute microwave grindz Chicken noodles. They were crap!

Most of us here paid plenty for our grinders. <$5 (when purchased in bulk) is a very small investment in doing things correctly.

Comment

Save the rice for your curry PW, it may or may not work but I'm never gonna know Would rather spend half an hour every now and again cleaning it (Mini Mazzer) manually, it's an easy job.

Comment

I've been using rolled oats (not as hard as rice) bought from supermarket it seems to do its job. never used Grindz so really can't compare though.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          Mine hasn't changed. I also tried 2 minute microwave grindz Chicken noodles. They were crap!

Most of us here paid plenty for our grinders. <$5 (when purchased in bulk) is a very small investment in doing things correctly.
          It still doesn't make it a necessary one, and I'd rather buy half a pound of coffee...

There are three questions here, yeah?

- Does it do the job?
          - Does it damage the grinder?
          - Does it leave residue?

I've not heard much "why" from anyone opposing the use of the "popular alternatives", but then I've never tried it myself since the burrs on my Preciso are easily-cleaned/accessible.

Comment

I ran par boiled rice (bought at my local Asian grocer) through my HG one. I was using it to season the burrs but I'm sure that it would do a fine job of cleaning them too. I'd much prefer to run it through an electric grinder... it was quite a workout with a hand grinder!

Comment

Rice has no more place in a coffee grinder than coffee does in a rice cooker!

It's easy enough to clean most grinders by hand so harden up and give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                Rice has no more place in a coffee grinder than coffee does in a rice cooker!

It's easy enough to clean most grinders by hand so harden up and give it a go.
                Too right...

Takes about 10 minutes after every roast session while I've got the vacuum out cleaning up in general. Too easy...

Mal.

Comment

Well thanks for the cleaning viewpoints and for the rice-related humour.
                  Like most things, there are generally no shortcuts.

-PW

Comment

I bought a large pack of Grindz years ago. Still going. Though I only use it every few months, and only a small amount. If you do use rice, I think it should be cooked and hardended rice, not "raw" rice.

Comment

I have always cleaned my breville smart grinder with raw medium grain rice and never had a problem with it the breville happily chomps away at rice. The rice is very good at absorbing moisture and oils and cleans the grinder a treat. I also pull apart the grinder burrs and inspect for damage every time as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkfalz View Post
                        ..... If you do use rice, I think it should be cooked and hardended rice, not "raw" rice.
                        ?? What sort of "cooking" are you thinking of ?...some form of roasting ?
                        Most people think of rice cooking as boiling , which certainly wont harden it !
                        I have used "raw" (dry..as it comes in the packet) rice to clean my grinder several times with no issues.

Comment

I'm not sure exactly why people have this great desire to feed rice into their much loved and cared for grinders, removing the burr carrier every now and again and giving the grinder a good clean out is a quick and simple process.

I suspect the rice/Grindz solutions are used by those who don't feel confident in pulling the top off the machine, or, perhaps it's simply a lazy way of doing the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            I'm not sure exactly why people have this great desire to feed rice into their much loved and cared for grinders, removing the burr carrier every now and again and giving the grinder a good clean out is a quick and simple process.

I suspect the rice/Grindz solutions are used by those who don't feel confident in pulling the top off the machine, or, perhaps it's simply a lazy way of doing the job.
                            OR..It may just be a good way of getting the stale oily coffee residue out from in the fine groves of the burrs whilst using a safe, cheap, organic product, and avoiding any risk of equipment damage or invalidating the warranty..
                            Another option i have contemplated would be to use a hopper full of dry ice ( CO2) pellets as used for industrial cleaning !
                            They are hard enough to mechanically clean the components without damage, but evaporate quickly to leave no residue at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post

Well I certainly used Grindz exclusively while my grinder (k3) was under warranty. Didn't feel like potentially voiding the warranty, and the Grindz stuff seems to do a great job (and when purchased in a 500g container is not expensive).

Comment

Working...
                              X