Sunbeam EM480 - topped jammed on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM480 - topped jammed on

I have stuffed my EM480 in the cleaning process and wonder if anyone has suggestions.

I took the top of the grinding chamber (the silver grind adjustment "ring") off to clean the burrs. I got some water inside the plastic insides of that part so took it apart to dry. Clearly I have put one of the plastic pieces back in the wrong orientation. I put the top back on, using the arrows to line it up as usual. It clicked and turned as it normally does but did not quite go back. The machine now won't work either.

Now I can't get it back off and looking at it from the top, parts of the plastic are sitting down, instead of being flush. (bit hard to describe I know). I can twist it around and the button on the side will pop in the normal way that allows you to take it off. It just won't lift off and I can't take the top burr out either.

Is there a way to get the top off (the silver adjustment ring and the plastic below) from the motor chamber.... are does anyone have a suggestion? It looks like some screws will hold it in, but if I take some screws out they are so far down, the chances of getting them back in are slim.

I have tried some force, without luck - and was hoping to save it. Any suggestions?

So you can take the hopper off?

I think maybe you're not taking the turn far enough. The pop-out of the button is not where the top comes off, it just lets you turn the top further to where you can take it off. Turn the top till the button clicks, then push it in and turn the top till it stops again.

The upper burr should come out at that point, with a straight pull up. The top will lift off. The upper burr goes back in with the flat section to the rear of the machine. (look at the base of the upper burr - there is a flattened part on the metal rim. That goes to rear.

The not-working bit - I think maybe you haven't put the micro-switch back correctly. It is a small plastic bit with a spring that connects to a plastic 'pad' that has to sit just right inside the brown plastic base. The microswitch pokes up through the brown base and lets the machine turn on. The spring goes DOWN. As you turn the silver part a ramp pushes down the switch and lets the motor run.

Comment

Journeyman

Yes the hopper comes off, but no amount of force I can use will get it twisted any further (button in or out). It is pretty clear to me because I put the plastic parts of the ring back in the wrong alignment that something is now blocking it from coming back. (a bit like a ratchet... it slid past something and then locked)

The only thing I can think to try is to see if something can be released from the motor side to take the whole top off. Either that or enough force to break the plastic holding it and hope I can repair it or buy a new part.

If nothing works, I will have to try an appliance repair place..... luckily I have a spare grinder, otherwise this weekend would have been very bad.

Comment

You can't release it from the motor part. I had mine apart to remove all remains of cockroaches that were in there when I got it.

You said it gets around to where it is clicking but is the pointer reaching where the numbers are?

Try turning it upside down, turn the silver part to button-click then press the button and see if it will go further.

Comment

OK, I just took mine apart to see if I can work out what you might have wrong. Buggered if I can see how you could jam it like that. I cannot get my silver collar to go back on in the wrong place.

In the 1st pic you can see the flat part of the upper burr closest to the spout. Mine doesn't have arrows so that's how I make sure I don't have the burr in backwards.
          In the 2nd pic you can see at left the button - note T piece is UP - and the microswitch on which the spring/button rests. That rectangle has an exact position so the top fits snugly before you do up the screws. If you've displaced it and the srping/button has fallen inside (check for rattles) then the machine will not run.
          In the 3rd pic you can see the button poking through the cover and the top of the T poking into the channel where it will stop the silver collar turning until you push the button.

The T piece will not let you put the collar back in ANY position except the right one - if your clicking is happening before the pointer gets to the numbers, I think you might have the button upside down - don't know if you removed it or not. When working properly, the T stops the collar until you press the button and move the collar a little bit more to stop the button coming out again.

If you put the spring/button with spring up I guess it is possible the spring is now pulled and jammed in the channel and stopping the collar. Other than that I can't think of what might be stopping it from turning past the button-push position. The button-push position on mine is when the pointer on the collar is at the end of the gradations for grind. i.e. at 25 I think. Then I push the button and the pointer moves around to match the pointer on the base near the button.

Can you think of anything you did that is different from this description?
          Attached Files

Comment

For more detail about this grinder, have a read of http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...w-machine.html

Comment

Journeyman,

The issue is underneath the settings collar, not the body containing the lower burr.

If you look at the pic I pinched from the other entry you directed me to... the curved plastic pieces that should be flush (one is where the arrow is.. there are four of them) are sitting a couple of mm below that flush. So the piece I am having trouble with is screwed to the bottom of that settings collar. In other words, turn over the collar and look at the round shaped piece that is held on by four screws. There are four springs underneath that piece with columns holding the springs.

You could be right - perhaps I caught the microswitch
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                You can't release it from the motor part. I had mine apart to remove all remains of cockroaches that were in there when I got it.

You said it gets around to where it is clicking but is the pointer reaching where the numbers are?

Try turning it upside down, turn the silver part to button-click then press the button and see if it will go further.
                And yes - the arrow gets to the numbers but no "clicks". Can't get the arrow back to align with the arrow on the lower body.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7 View Post
                  Journeyman,

The issue is underneath the settings collar, not the body containing the lower burr.

If you look at the pic I pinched from the other entry you directed me to... the curved plastic pieces that should be flush (one is where the arrow is.. there are four of them) are sitting a couple of mm below that flush. So the piece I am having trouble with is screwed to the bottom of that settings collar. In other words, turn over the collar and look at the round shaped piece that is held on by four screws. There are four springs underneath that piece with columns holding the springs.

You could be right - perhaps I caught the microswitch
                  Hi Steve

Where are you? I have a spare 480 and could use it as a guide, as could JM (Vic) or probably numerous other CS'rs.

FWIW, I agree w JM, I cannot see what could have done that, however it must be possible...

TampIt

Comment

The attached is a pic of all the pieces. I never took that bit apart on mine so hadn't thought about what is in there. Bottom left is the bit that sticks up through the top. The lugs on the hopper engage those raised bits and push down the half circle on the back of that piece, which pushes it through the half circle hole on the top left piece to engage the microswitch.

I tried various ways and you CAN reverse that bottom left piece and wind up with what you describe - the 4 raised bits don't push through the holes in the silver part. What I am having trouble picturing is how that would stop you removing the collar once assembled. If you turn your machine upside down, do those 4 raised parts move at all? Up or down? If you push on them with a knife, do they move?

Did you try the unlock process with the machine upside down? Maybe try turning the collar to button click, then while keeping a little pressure on the turn, bang the machine (not too hard, OK?) on the bench - if it's that half-circle ledge it might drop it enough for it to move further.

Try getting a thin blade knife and turn the collar as far as you can then wiggle the knife in above the button and see if you can get extra movement that way.

EDIT: Doh! Thanks Java...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Journeyman; 10 February 2014, 11:26 AM. Reason: Add the pic... :(

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                      The attached is a pic of all the pieces.
                      Java "You forgot the pic!" phile
                      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Journeyman

Thanks for doing that. I have tried sliding a knife... no luck... but what I forgot to say was those "lugs" that are sitting down are now off-set from the slot - probably about 10-degrees - so I suspect I might have broken something. Although it did not feel like that when I replaced it.

I might try a little more downward force on them now I have seen your photo... and then try twisting. Oh and the upside suggestion you make.

Comment

Working...
                        X