X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Grinder for Coffee While Travelling

Hi Guys,
    First time post here!
    Been perusing the CS forum for a while now and I've gotta say that I've learnt so much from people's suggestions on here.
    Thought I'd actually register today so I can get in on the discussion.

I'm after a nice portable burr grinder that I could take travelling with me to make plunger coffee with fresh beans away from home. Probably something in the <$200 range.
    Also thinking about getting an Aeropress, I've heard some good things about them.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Johnno

Various hand grinders will do the job. Hario skerton hand grinder, kyocera, porlex. .. they'll all do the job for you. All well within price range but require a little more elbow grease than just pushing a button. My camping combo is an aeropress n hario grinder although I've tried a porlex and preferred it so will be going to that when the hario dies or more likely lose it!

Comment

yeah the Porlex is a nice bit of gear for camping etc

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. That porlex does look like a nice piece of gear.

I probably should have mentioned that I really want it more to leave in my locker at our ski club over the winter, so electric is still good...unless you think a hand mill would give better results? I gather you'd get a better quality burr than in an electric one as you're not paying for the motor etc.

Comment

The Porlex Mini also fits nicely inside the Aeropress, so is handy if your luggage space is limited. After a while the handle occasionally tends to come off the spindle when grinding, but no big deal. Aeropress + Coava/Able Disc (instead of filter paper) + Porlex Mini is a pretty hand combo. I used this exclusively when based in London for 3 months and really got to like the style of coffee I was making.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
            The Porlex Mini also fits nicely inside the Aeropress, so is handy if your luggage space is limited. After a while the handle occasionally tends to come off the spindle when grinding, but no big deal. Aeropress + Coava/Able Disc (instead of filter paper) + Porlex Mini is a pretty hand combo. I used this exclusively when based in London for 3 months and really got to like the style of coffee I was making.
            +1 for this setup. It's what I use at work and when travelling. I've got a Porlex mini and a kyocera and although the burrs appear to be the same I much prefer the feel of the Porlex... and like BOSW said, it fits inside the Aeropress!

Comment

I suppose it depends on how portable and how many coffees you are likely to make.

If you start offering free coffee you may be so popular you will never get to go skiing.

I don't know of a electric grinder that I would call portable.

How fragile are plastic hoppers?

I have a porlex it seems to work well I was cautious about grinders made with glass parts because they may break.

However well made glass can be surprisingly tough.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnosmith View Post
                I'm after a nice portable burr grinder that I could take travelling with me to make plunger coffee with fresh beans away from home. Probably something in the <$200 range.
                Did someone say they wanted a Lido 2? I think someone said they wanted a Lido 2.

Comment

Great. Thanks guys!
                  Think I'll go out and grab the Porlex/Aeropress/Disc combo. Sounds perfect.

Just out of interest, how long does it normally take to grind enough beans for a cup?

@don - I hear you! Probably making for a few at a time...although the delicious aroma of freshly ground beans will attract hangers-on I'm sure :-)

@Dragunov - That Lido 2 does look like a beauty, but is it worth the (considerable) extra money over the Porlex?

Comment

Ah damn it seems my post from yesterday got swallowed by the ether. It said something about requiring moderator approval?

Suffice to say, I was sold on the Porlex, but then after you suggested it Dragunov the Lido 2 looks so damn pretty! I do like the idea of supporting a small organisation, even if it is significantly more costly. Has anybody used one of these? Sure looks like it works well

Comment

they're fairly new (and many of us are on the waiting list for the new shipment), but definitely sounds like a good choice for filter/press. from what i know the porlex has the same issues as the harios/kyoceras - poor performance on filter grinds due to lower bearing issues which is what the lido was designed to work against.
                      otherwise, for the same amount of money, a breville smart grinder or sunbeam em480 might do the trick

Comment

They are coming direct to Oz and will be available at around the same time. Will help keep post costs down.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                          They are coming direct to Oz and will be available at around the same time. Will help keep post costs down.
                          They do look like good portables (me thinks camping and holidays)
                          Who'd stock them Chris? Do you hold OE stuff?

Comment

We'll be stocking them but they're not coming from OE

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                              We'll be stocking them but they're not coming from OE
                              Do you have any idea of cost or when it will be available?
                              Ta

Comment

Working...
                              X