Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice between K30 Vario or Mazzer Robur Electronic

Hi,

I have owned a Malkonig Vario for about a year and a half, but am now looking to find my ultimate home grinder. The thing is I can't decide between a Mazzer Robur Electronic or a K30 Vario.

The thing that worries me about the Robur is simply coffee wastage. The K30 Vario has nearly no wastage. But the problem is, will the K30 lack the flavour the Robur produces. I would hate to think I am spending the same amount of money on the K30 Vario and not getting the same quality (or close to) in the shot.

If anyone out there has owned both machines before and can report on difference in quality of shots between the two, I would greatly appreciate your input. Or if anyone has owned or does own a Robur Electronic, I would like to hear what you do to manage coffee wastage and if it is worth the wastage (or you wish you hadn't bought it).

Any other suggestions about an ultimate home grinder or input that might be helpful to me about the above grinders would also be welcomed.

Thank You.

Are you sure the K30's don't retain much coffee? Thats not what I've heard. I've worked with Robur E's and they waste a tremendous amount of coffee. 60 + grams between making a grind adjustment and seeing the effect. Easy to blow 250gm of coffee when dialling in a new bean. I like them in a busy cafe but would stay away for home use. Robur manuals waste a bit less.

Comment

I have owned a Robur-e for a couple of years now, wouldn't swap it for anything else currently on the market.

Retention and purging is a non issue for me. It retains, I purge.

A cafe client of mine has 5 Mahlkoenigs on the bench, they purge them as well, if one has been off duty for more than a few minutes.

They opened a second cafe and put in 5 Robur-e's. The head barista there is opening their own place..... Robur-e and Kony-e (for decaf).

Read Matt's (designingbycoffee) comments in the 'large conical users' thread.

Nuova Simonelli have a new grinder on the market (or at least in production); the Mythos One. I'll stick with the Robur.

I would only consider a changeover if something completely new comes on the market in terms of burr technology, rather than bells, whistles
      and grinder heaters!!

Comment

According to a youtube video interviewing a representative from Mahlkonig, the K30's only retain about 2 grams of coffee in the chute.

Does the Robur really waste that much coffee? Wow! That's what worries me about buying one for home use.

What would you suggest for a top of the line home grinder?

Comment

chokkidog do you have any idea of grams of coffee you have to purge?

Can you dose by weight and manually sweep out the coffee from the chute?

Have you made any modifications to your Robur?

Comment

Some purge 1 shot, some 2, so it depends on how your 1&2 shot timers are set.

Brushing out the chute? Not practical.

Mods?...No

Dose by weight? Not me, no need. Consistent, repeatable technique.... works every time.

Comment

I don't believe that the Robur et al grinders are especially suited for home use. I tossed up between the Kony-e and Robur-e some time ago and really, the Robur is just way overkill in my opinion. Settled on a Kony-e and could not be happier. Macap also make some very decent big conical grinders, so wouldn't leave them out of the equation...

It's all a very personal decision of course, but having a behemoth Robur sitting next to my Diadema (purely for home use) was bordering on the ridiculous. The Kony is quick at around 7-8 seconds for a 20g grind and that is plenty fast enough for how I operate. I know the Robur and other uber conicals can do this in under half that time but then the coffee would be waiting for me to get to it, with my routine in my workspace - Horses for courses of course, of course...

Mal.

Comment

Thank you for your input so far. So does anyone own a K30? Would it be a risk buying one as far as parts and service go? There does not seem to be much on the internet in Australia about them.

Comment

Another grinder to consider would be the Elektra Nino. Grind retention on these is a lot less than the Robur. Not sure who the importer is. I know of a couple of units that were self imported when the Australian dollar was higher. They are a very well built grinder, not seen very often here.

Comment

The HG One I tried at MICE seemed very nice, but I didn't love what was in the cup (which may have been beans or machine).

Comment

If you are considering the K-30, is there a reason why the Major isn't on your list; both being big planars?

Comment

I think that goes to the heart of the topic, and what are "we" comparing?

What does "ultimate" mean to any particular person?

I understand the K 30 has 65 mm plates, in which case it is in super jolly and macap mx territory (major has significantly larger plates).

With regard to K 30 vs robur E. They are not the same except in the similar characteristics of their programmable functionality and use in cafe / commercial circumstances.

Also with regard to the quote in the original question: :...If anyone out there has owned both machines before and can report on difference in quality of shots between the two..." we seem to keep going back to the same old misunderstandings. If there is a difference in the character in the cup between the two ("quality"), what does it mean? That they may be a little different? That doesnt mean that one is better then the other, or just that there is a difference. And of course what one individiual likes or thinks is significant, may mean nothing to someone else. You have to do the comparison yourself to see if there is any importance in it for you.

And of course with regard to "wastage". Anyone that runs a grinder in the home, which is not designed for that but instead is designed to be used in a cafe situation with infinitely larger volumes running through, probably has to accept whatever the grinder of his choice does, if he wants to have it in his kitchen.

Its one for the prospective owner I believe to sort for his particular wants and circumstances.
                        Last edited by TOK; 22 May 2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

With respect to the OP but it's a curious thing when good intentioned people ask ' which grinder' when in fact they are asking;
                          'do I want a planar or a conical'?

As you correctly point out TOK, there is some homework to do before the question of 'which grinder' can be considered.

Finegrind; if you google something like ' vario k30 v Robur-e' you might find one or two comments.

Good luck on your quest. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by FineGrind View Post
                            Any other suggestions about an ultimate home grinder or input that might be helpful to me about the above grinders would also be welcomed.
                            I thought long and hard about the grinders you are considering. In the end I got a HG-ONE and am extremely happy. Didn't particularly want to hand grind (might motorise it in the future), but haven't found it a chore at all. Its ridiculously easy to dial in and ridiculously consistent. The main thing I love is that I swap coffees usually at least twice a day (home roaster who does lots of experimenting), and there's nothing to do (unless you're really fussy and do a quick brush of the burrs). If I have people over, I just get someone to do the grinding, there's always plenty of volunteers. So for a home grinder, definitely worth thinking about.

Comment

Hi Finegrind
                              Second everything here
                              I bought a Robur last year, and like Chokkidog reckon it's great. Agree too with Mal - it is way overkill for home only!

On the down side, it does take at least 2-3 double baskets worth for any grind adjustment to kick in properly, so if you like to constantly swap beans brew to brew, avoid it like the plague! In fact, if you like measuring beans, and started trying to do that with a clean Robur - you wouldn't get any grounds out the other end with only 17g in! Would all end up in the burrs and chute
                              Having said this - with this grinder I'm not too fussed about a perfect pour each time (gasp!) as this grinder is much more forgiving than my Macap before. I've recently swapped beans, and have had some pours that have been well and truly over a minute (or more!) - and the results have been fine, barely any bitterness (but getting a little cold!). So I just let the grounds run through as they come, and adjust using tamp/dosing until the new adjustment comes through.
                              I purge maybe 5g at the beginning of the day to get out the "plug" and leave the rest to fate! I don't find retention causes that much of an issue in flavour for me - just slightly less crema…

In the end, if it is home only, I'd ponder long and hard.
                              I bought mine at a time where I started roasting lots of beans for friends, and needed to occasionally grind a bag or two for them. It is super fast (3-4 secs for a double) so can knock off 250g pretty well (not that it is really designed for this). I have also have run some coffee appreciation / marriage courses etc with larger groups in the past - and doing brews for lots of people is much easier with something like this in turn around. It has also helped me fine tune my roasting no end - I find the extra clarity helps me see more clearly what is going on in the cup & the profile.

So again - horses for courses!
                              Happy hunting
                              Cheers Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X