Compak K10 Fresh - won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compak K10 Fresh - won't start

My K10 fresh won't start if I set the grind fine. I can hear it humming but the motor doesn't turn. If i wind out the grind setting then it will go and it will keep grinding as I adjust the grind finer again but once it has stopped it won't start again.
    I read that some of the 2012 models had capacitor issues but I mine tested ok at 13.98 for a 14 micro F cap.
    The grinder is 18 months old.

Gavin

Yes the K10 does seem to have a reputation for this starting problem, there have been several users on other forums with the same issue.
    If you bought it new, the vendor should be helping you out with this.
    Im guessing it had a 12 month warranty, but "Goods fit for purpose" etc, springs to mind, and that is not a cheap domestic appliance.

Comment

Nah it's gone, you should sell it to me cheap ;-)

Comment

yea, we have the same issue with our K10, bought off a CS sponsor, Mark of CRA couple of years ago. put it in our cafe in Jakarta. the problem was the capacitor according to the experts, had that changed out. it's better as it doesn't get stuck as much. but from what i hear form our baristas it does get stuck bout 2-3 times a day. haven't really been able to solve the problem.

if it gets stuck we usually clear out the hopper, use a key(allen?) and unwind it. then it would operate normally again.

Comment

Sounds to me, as though the capacitor may be a little undersized for the job...

Have you been in touch with Compak to see what they have to say about it? If you get no joy there, see if you can locate a 16-18mF motor-start/run capacitor (up to a max of 25mF) and try that. Should give you more torque at start-up as well resistance to stalling while running...

Mal.

Comment

Bames, I have been tempted to sell the thing...I will see what joy I get through Coffee Roasters and Compak first.
            Mal do you ever have this sort of problem with your Kony?

Comment

Originally posted by Fulcrum View Post
              Bames, I have been tempted to sell the thing...I will see what joy I get through Coffee Roasters and Compak first.
              Mal do you ever have this sort of problem with your Kony?
              I have done circa 9000 doubles across 2 Kony-E. Never had a stall. For mine- the best conical on the market for top end home espresso.

Comment

Kony-E vs Elektra Nino

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                I have done circa 9000 doubles across 2 Kony-E. Never had a stall. For mine- the best conical on the market for top end home espresso.

How does the Kony-E compare with the Elektra Nino? I have the Elektra proudly sitting on my bench and was purchased after close review of many articles comparing it with the Robur-E.

Comment

This is a bit of a basic failure for what is a high end commercial m/c sold at premium price.
                  curious also that it seems to afflict both 240 and US spec 110 volt models ?
                  i am very surprised the agent/importer and the home company has not jumped all over this issue .
                  Reputations are not always built on lack of problems, but how problems are dealt with.
                  Have any of the Compak retailers raised this with the wholesaler/ importer ?

Comment

Yes- not good- however it is in all likelihood one of a tiny percentage of the many hundreds if not thousands of K10F in the field. Forums tend to get loaded with negative stuff which can skew our impressions of what is the reality. It's also possible that these users with issues are grinding too fine/too low.

Not too long ago, we had one example where the espresso zone was very poorly set (waaaaay too fine). I could imagine how this one could easily have stalled. We pulled it down and recalibrated it- one happy grinder

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                      How does the Kony-E compare with the Elektra Nino? I have the Elektra proudly sitting on my bench and was purchased after close review of many articles comparing it with the Robur-E.
                      same here, looooveee my elektra. The design, the power the simplicity of use, minimum coffee waste when changing beans are more then excellent. Design is so cool

Comment

...I read that some of the 2012 models had capacitor issues but I mine tested ok at 13.98 for a 14 micro F cap.
                        The grinder is 18 months old.

Gavin
                        If you google " K10 stalling" or "K10 failing to start"...you will find several discussions over on the HB forum that may be useful.
                        The issue seems to date back for several years, and there have changes to the motor start system at some stage.
                        So i expect Compak are well aware of the problem as should be your supplier.
                        There are references to capacitors much bigger than your 14 microF unit.?

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                          I came very close to buying the Kony and at the moment am regretting my decision
                          As for grinding too fine I don't think that I am. I would think that a grinder in this class would be able to choke up an espresso machine without too much effort. I have even set my duetto down to 8 bar and running 22g baskets to try and slow things down. Any suggestions most welcome.

Well no help from the supplier other than check the cap so I rang Compak Australia. Unfortunately Dean is out of the country so it will be a bit before I can get his input.
                          In the meantime I have put in a 16 microFarad capacitor to see if that improves things.

blend52: Yes I saw those threads and they seem to have different setups; some with bigger caps and some with multiple caps.

Comment

blend52: Yes I saw those threads and they seem to have different setups; some with bigger caps and some with multiple caps.
                            It's possible that Compak have opted for a change in design of the motor circuit that allows for higher value cap's (100+mF) for start-up and after the motor is up to speed, this is switched out and a lower value cap (~25mF) is left in circuit to allow the motor sufficient running torque.

Hard to know unless we see an official schematic/explanation...

Mal.

Comment

Well no help from the supplier other than check the cap...
                              Disave would have imported your grinder. Did you try them?

Comment

Working...
                              X