Macap M4D - Early impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macap M4D - Early impressions

I just picked this baby up this morning and had it dialed in after two attempts. Chris@talk coffee advised I turn the micrometric adjuster back about 10 times as its set too fine out of the box. 9 times would have done it. It appears that one full turn of that adjuster changes the pour time by about 5 seconds. I then attacked the timing feature. I read that it doses at about 2gms a second and I wanted 16gms. So I tried 7.5, 8.0 and 8.5sec and 8.5 did it. The time can be adjusted in 5 / 100ths. So I could get 8.45 or 8.55 seconds if I really wanted to fine tune. Repeated and weighed 3 times and all were exactly 16gms and more importantly great shots with a great taste. Clumping is there but they are soft and break easily when the group handle is shaken. I was told that once the burrs settle down this clumping becomes even more insignificant. Clumping and grind retention as mentioned many times on USA sites and this site are non issues. It is an accurate, consistent and sophisticated grinder and I'm delighted with my purchase. I really don't understand why this grinder has had such a bad rap.

Chris often gets thanked for his service but he really does deserve it. He clearly explained why it was better than its biggest rival, the Mazzer mini e and gave valuable advice on how to set it up when I got it home. While my old grinder (K3T) was very good this really feels like a step up in quality. As big Kev used to say - I'm excited.

I can't recommend this highly enough.

Thanks again Chris.

My pleasure barri. Happy that you like it!

The software upgrade on these has lifted the bar way clear of the mini-e and the only reason you'd consider a Mazzer (and it would have to be a SJ-E to even go close) is that the worm drive doesn't allow for gross grind changes rapidly. These continue to be the aspirational grinder for home users who want a top-end planar grinder. They blow all competitors into the weeds.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Yep Barri agree 100%. I don't have the .5 second facility but can't say I need it. The M4D is a little p###er of a grinder. As TC says the next step is to a monster sized animal............ :-) and I'm [and the SOH] not ready for that.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Mono View Post
        The M4D is a little p###er of a grinder.
        Bit harsh, mate.

Comment

Here's a piccie. Tried to show the new display but ended up too bright
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks great!

Cheers

Comment

I had a play with one of those a while ago and found it was a bit fiddly to change time settings. I had to hold down the top button for 10 secs to activate the menu, then go through a bunch of menu settings to get to the right point, change the settings, then go through the menu again to exit. It seemed overly messy for a procedure that was needed to be done often. Is that still the same or have they improved it?
              Simon

Comment

Originally posted by stafe View Post
                I had a play with one of those a while ago and found it was a bit fiddly to change time settings.
                The V2 software updates are explained but work the same way. This grinder is simple and intuitive- as owners will no doubt agree with.

Best not attempt to setup a mobile phone

Comment

Originally posted by stafe View Post
                  I had a play with one of those a while ago and found it was a bit fiddly to change time settings. I had to hold down the top button for 10 secs to activate the menu, then go through a bunch of menu settings to get to the right point, change the settings, then go through the menu again to exit. It seemed overly messy for a procedure that was needed to be done often. Is that still the same or have they improved it?
                  Simon
                  Couldn't disagree more. Most grind on demand grinders operate in a similar way and I've used the menus on a quamar and mazzer. I've found the macap menu system simple and elegant. If I want to change the timing of my single basket, for example, I enter menu mode, one long press, select the single, turn the dial down to desired time, accept that setting turn the dial to exit and select that. A process that takes less than 20 seconds and that includes the the time to enter menu mode. The dial makes progressing through the menus back or forth as fast as you want.

Its so simple that I figured it out without reading the manual.

Comment

I don't do singles so I have the single mode set for 1.5s which I use to flush any stale grinds left and 10.2s for my double. Occasionally I need to alter that timing with a change of beans but if i need to top up i just select the 1.5s single mode. Works a charm for me. :-)

steve

Comment

10 sec is bloody fast for a double!

A completely different beast I know but the smart grinder takes 40 or so from memory for a double.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
                        10 sec is bloody fast for a double!
                        Nar, 4 seconds is fast- Robur territory

Comment

Wow, that's a huge factor in speed. Over ten times faster than a domestic grinder and over double the speed of something like the M4D. M4D would be plenty fast for me!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Mono View Post
                            I don't do singles so I have the single mode set for 1.5s which I use to flush any stale grinds left and 10.2s for my double. Occasionally I need to alter that timing with a change of beans but if i need to top up i just select the 1.5s single mode. Works a charm for me. :-)

steve
                            The new version 2 software allows for 3 programs. Like you I use the first as a purge or top up, second for singles and third for doubles. Really easy

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                              Nar, 4 seconds is fast- Robur territory
                              Ahh , now dont bring a knife to a gun fight !
                              .... Compak R140...1kg in <30 secs !!
                              Compak R140 | Talk Coffee

Comment

Working...
                              X