Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd grinder

Hi,
    I have a Mazzer Super Jolly grinder I use with my Rocket r58 - I want a second grinder to use for staler beans so I dont have to keep readjusting the Super Jolly (yes I know that is lazy).
    Not fussed on price - but want something compact.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Budget?? How much were you thinking to spend, helps our suggestions. Is it just for stale beans only?

Comment

Mainly stale beans, no budget (lots of money to spend). The only thing I want is something not as big as the super Jolly.

Comment

Macap M2M or M4D?

Comment

Originally posted by Faatshank View Post
          Mainly stale beans, no budget (lots of money to spend). The only thing I want is something not as big as the super Jolly.
          Question, .... If money is no issue, why are you bothering with stale beans ?
          Presumably, since the beans are stale anyway, the quality of the grind is not too important either,
          Mazzer mini ?.......but I really do not understand this situation. ,!

Comment

I should clarify - when I say stale beans I probably dont mean stale beans. I am referring to beans that are over a 1.5 weeks old and I need to adjust my grinder to a finer setting to extract the same amount of crema had the beans been under 1 week old. So not really stale, but in decline..... Does this make sense?

Comment

I like the look of the M4D - thansk for the tip.

Comment

I should clarify - when I say stale beans I probably dont mean stale beans. I am referring to beans that are over a 1.5 weeks old and I need to adjust my grinder to a finer setting to extract the same amount of crema had the beans been under 1 week old. So not really stale, but in decline..... Does this make sense?
                Im going to hazard a guess and say that you have not been at the espresso game for long.

Why spend $200-$2000 on a grinder to use on "stale" coffee when you could just let all your coffee go stale and just leave your current grinder on the same old setting?
                I can understand wanting a second grinder to use with a different coffee but if it is just to prevent having to change the grind to suit a different aged coffee, maybe your money would be better spent on a barista course of some sort as what you plan on doing would be counterproductive to making quality espresso.

EDIT: How much coffee are you buying at any one time?

Comment

Why not just adjust the super jolly grind?

Comment

If you have no objections to a hand grinder then the HG1 may be worth considering.

Comment

Luke - you guess wrong. I have in fact been in the espresso game for many years and from my experience it is not uncommon for the enthusiast to have 2 grinders. Perhaps I am missing something but I don't see the problem in having 2 grinders simply from a convenience perspective. One grinder (super jolly) for the fresh coffee which I roast myself and a second grinder for the not so fresh beans (or like you pointed out, perhaps for a completely different bean). As I pointed out in my original post this was purely for convenience purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_G View Post
                        Im going to hazard a guess and say that you have not been at the espresso game for long.

Why spend $200-$2000 on a grinder to use on "stale" coffee when you could just let all your coffee go stale and just leave your current grinder on the same old setting?
                        I can understand wanting a second grinder to use with a different coffee but if it is just to prevent having to change the grind to suit a different aged coffee, maybe your money would be better spent on a barista course of some sort as what you plan on doing would be counterproductive to making quality espresso.

EDIT: How much coffee are you buying at any one time?
                        I don't see how it could be counterproductive to making quality espresso. I would assume he has more than one coffee and wants an easy way to have a grinder close to being dialed in for some of his older coffee, while still maintaining the other grinder dialed in for his fresher coffee.

Comment

Luke - you guess wrong. I have in fact been in the espresso game for many years and from my experience it is not uncommon for the enthusiast to have 2 grinders. Perhaps I am missing something but I don't see the problem in having 2 grinders simply from a convenience perspective. One grinder (super jolly) for the fresh coffee which I roast myself and a second grinder for the not so fresh beans (or like you pointed out, perhaps for a completely different bean). As I pointed out in my original post this was purely for convenience purposes.
                          Beans need to be dialled in each and every day (with adjustments often required throughout the day) so unless you plan on buying 30 or so grinders you're still going to have to adjust the grind collar at some point so (to quote Nike) Just Do It mate and forget this bizarre, if not ridiculous, quest for a not-so-fresh-beans grinder. If you truly have that much money to throw around I'm pretty sure you could find something better to do with it!

Comment

Thankyou Senior Members for your constructive and helpful feedback - not sure my post warranted terms like 'Bizarre' and 'Ridiculous' or even the suggestion that I should take some sort of beginners course. But them the breaks. Thanks to all those who made meaningful suggestions in response to my original post.

Comment

Thankyou Senior Members for your constructive and helpful feedback - not sure my post warranted terms like 'Bizarre' and 'Ridiculous' or even the suggestion that I should take some sort of beginners course. But them the breaks. Thanks to all those who made meaningful suggestions in response to my original post.
                              And I thought the suggestion to use your hand and wrist to adjust the grind collar every once in a while, thereby saving yourself a pocketful of cash, was meaningful :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X