Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doser vs Doserless for Home Use (Mazzer Mini vs. K3 & M2M)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doser vs Doserless for Home Use (Mazzer Mini vs. K3 & M2M)

Hi All

After many years of faithful service, I have decided to retire my Breville grinder and upgrade.

I have done a little research and looked into the Compak K3, Macap M2M and Mazzer Mini. I very much like the idea of the Mazzer Mini- reliable, fine grind adjustment, high build quality and exceptional performance. But... I don't like the doser. I just don't think the volume of coffees made in my house (approx. 4 per day, sometimes 1-2 more)warrants one. But then again, the Mazzer seems to be the standard by which all of grinders in this price range are judged.

So, those who have a Mini and use it for regular domestic use- what's the doser like? Do you find it wastes coffee or retains it? How is the upkeep of it? Or am I splitting hairs..?!

Many thanks for your guidance!

Originally posted by greenplastic View Post
    .....looked into the Compak K3, Macap M2M and Mazzer Mini. I very much like the idea of the Mazzer Mini- reliable, fine grind adjustment, high build quality and exceptional performance....the Mazzer seems to be the standard by which all of grinders in this price range are judged....!
    A good trio of grinders, and replying to some of your points:

The mazzer is no more reliable than the Macap or the Compak. All are long lived and extremely reliable.

The mazzer has no more "...exceptional performance..." than the other two.... all perform as intended.

And I realise I am being being picky, but in regard to Mazzer being a "standard....." only if we believe the hype that has been circulated around the net for a few years and which is now outdated (eg a few years ago there was a big gap in availability between low end grinders and the Mini.....not so now. You have to be able to interpret what's written in the www). That said there is no doubt Mazzer is a top quality manufacturer of cafe series grinders. The Mini is their small cafe or office offering. But there are other manufacturers that also build top quality grinders and you mentioned Macap and Compak above. If you line up grinders from all three manufacturers, that compete in the same size / design class, is mazzer any "better" than the others in the field of intended use (cafes)?

And lastly to your question. Given the three models mentioned (note the different price brackets) no I wouldnt waste my time paying considerably more for the mini doser for your home use (besides, if you were comparing all in doser models, I would take the Macap over the Mazzer because I like their dosers better). However given the three mentioned, my pick would be to make your choice between the Macap and the Compak. Both excellent, reliable, long lived grinders from good name manufacturers. They wont last any less or perform any worse than the mazzer.....

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks for your reply TOK.

So essentially, the extra money for the Mini isn't worth it for my use? Would I just be paying for the doser?

How about the dose adjustment on the M2M/K3? I like the idea of not being restricted by notches as I have had trouble with dialling in grinds with my current grinder- one notch down is too course, one notch above is too fine.

Are there any other models that you could recommend?

Comment

The Macap and Compak are both very well designed doser less (grind on demand grinders). Its whatever you want to get used to. I use a macap doser at home, however both my sons have doser less (grind on demand) grinders and when I visit them I use their grinders. Coincidentally, one has the macap, and the other has the compak. Both excellent grinders. As I said, its whatever you (want) to get used to. The doser can be used (and i do) as a "grind on demand" by simply grinding into the doser and straight back out, however the doser less grinders are far easier to clean and in home use, more straight forward to use.

I gather you mean "grind" adjustment. All are available as stepless or micrometric adjusters. however I personally prefer a good stepped grinder. there is a lot of hoo haa (again, outdated info on the net OR info concerning cheap end stepped grinders NOT modern cafe type grinders) written on the www about stepped adjusters. When you arrive at this level of grinders there is nothing wrong with stepped adjusters...the steps are small, and if necessary you adjust your technique slightly (as all good baristas should be doing with all manner of ever changing coffee making variables). Stepped adjusters are far superior when using the one grinder to do more than one type of grind and can quickly be put straight back to where they were before.....

I wouldnt complicate the issue. You already have three great grinders to choose from and the two cheaper ones represent great value when you compare with other far lesser grinders that compete in similar price brackets. The life span of these grinders can be measured in decades rather than just years...

hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks again for your reply TOK.

Originally posted by TOK View Post
          You already have three great grinders to choose from and the two cheaper ones represent great value when you compare with other far lesser grinders that compete in similar price brackets. The life span of these grinders can be measured in decades rather than just years.
          If I were t spend a little more, would I get a better grinder? I ask because you have twice mentioned That these are great when you compare them with similarly priced machines. What about a step above? Is it worth it?

Comment

If I were t spend a little more, would I get a better grinder? I ask because you have twice mentioned That these are great when you compare them with similarly priced machines. What about a step above? Is it worth it?
            Sunroof and leather seats. You're buying options, not grind quality.

Tick the doser option = you pay more. Tick the timer option = you pay more. Tick the digital timer over the analogue timer option = you pay more.

Comment

I own a Mazzer Mini, if I had to consider a new grinder I would certainly look closely at both the Compak and Macap, have heard lots of good reports about them.

Having said that, I'm perfectly happy with the Mini and see no reason to upgrade now or anytime in the future, after a bit of use I came to terms/learned to live with the doser, seems this is the main area of concern with the machine, oh, and if speed is important, I can tell you the Mini is not a speedster.

I'm sure whichever of the three you choose you will be one smilin son of a gun.

Comment

Thanks again for your reply TOK.

If I were t spend a little more, would I get a better grinder?..... What about a step above? Is it worth it?
                Depends on any individual's definition of "BETTER". Better as in "grind quality", OR better as in an offering of features in toto in any given model machine, that will make one machine "better" in toto for an individual to use, than some other machine.

In terms of grind quality, No. You would need to be able to tell the difference. Most people cant on the palate until they go to an entirely different price bracket where the difference between the grinders is significant. And even then, does a difference between two grinders mean that one is better than the other, OR....just that they are different. What is the definition of "better" to any given individual?

So... in your price bracket, for your 4 cuppas a day, the three grinders in your shortlist are already great grinders...all of them.

After that it just comes down to features that appeal to you as an individual and that make your use of the grinder more pleasurable than some other grinder.

With the three mentioned, the most significant difference is between the doser and the two grind on demand grinders.

Aything more than that is ust splitting hairs and fueling the usual insecurity that people develop from reading too much stuff (detail) in forums, lest they may decide on the "wrong" grinder. Fear not, all three are great grinders. Choose one, and enjoy

Comment

GP,

The M2M is a quite a bit smaller than the K3 if that is of any relevance to your decision. Both great grinders. In my experience (and it may only be me) you need a few more beans in the chute/hopper of the M2M to prevent 'popcorning' than is the case with the K3. No biggie. Both do the trick for me. I tend to use the M2M more, as I like the stepped grind adjustment.
                  Cheers

Comment

Hi All

After many years of faithful service, I have decided to retire my Breville grinder and upgrade.

I have done a little research and looked into the Compak K3, Macap M2M and Mazzer Mini. I very much like the idea of the Mazzer Mini- reliable, fine grind adjustment, high build quality and exceptional performance. But... I don't like the doser. I just don't think the volume of coffees made in my house (approx. 4 per day, sometimes 1-2 more)warrants one. But then again, the Mazzer seems to be the standard by which all of grinders in this price range are judged.

So, those who have a Mini and use it for regular domestic use- what's the doser like? Do you find it wastes coffee or retains it? How is the upkeep of it? Or am I splitting hairs..?!

Many thanks for your guidance!

GP, IMHO you should also consider a good used Titan conical- eg Compak K10, Wega 8, Mazzer Kony, Elektra Nino. You can pick one of these up for around the same price or even less than a Mazzer Mini and they bring out a whole new level of flavour complexity. Not to mention their build quality means they are likely to last at least as long as a new mini if you can find a good used one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                      GP, IMHO you should also consider a good used Titan conical- eg Compak K10, Wega 8, Mazzer Kony, Elektra Nino. You can pick one of these up for around the same price or even less than a Mazzer Mini and they bring out a whole new level of flavour complexity. Not to mention their build quality means they are likely to last at least as long as a new mini if you can find a good used one.
                      I think for the volume of coffees that I'll be making these guys would be overkill! I love the idea of them but space wise, I don't think I could afford their footprint in my kitchen.

Do the conical burrs really make that much of a difference? My current grinder is a conical burr...

Comment

I think for the volume of coffees that I'll be making these guys would be overkill! I love the idea of them but space wise, I don't think I could afford their footprint in my kitchen.

Do the conical burrs really make that much of a difference? My current grinder is a conical burr...
                        From my experience, YES, the large conical burrs (not small ones like Breville) really do bring out more complexity and depth of flavour than flat burrs. It is well worth exploring in my opinion, however if footprint is an issue then that could well be a deal breaker right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                          ..... if footprint is an issue then that could well be a deal breaker right there.
                          ....and don't forget the "retention" or clean out issues when big commercial Conicals are used for just a few shots per day.

Comment

Don't be seduced by the bigger is better school of thought Greenplastic, for home use commercial grinders are overkill and introduce another set of problems.

One of the three grinders on your original list will do everything you want and need.

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                              ....and don't forget the "retention" or clean out issues when big commercial Conicals are used for just a few shots per day.

ZERO retention issues with my Elektra Nino

Comment

Working...
                              X