Suggestions for manual grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for manual grinder?

I've been given an older coffee machine which I am working on at the moment, and am looking for suggestions on grinders.

I was thinking about getting a manual grinder as they tend to be less expensive than an electric but from what I gather they can still produce a high quality grind. I would generally only be making a couple of coffees at a time, so time and effort taken is not a big concern.

What manual grinder would be best? Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

Matt

Hi MattyRay

This would be the first place I'd look for a manual grinder if you're not using it for travel so much…

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...-lido-2-a.html

However, if the budget is tight, and you're using it with a machine, something like a Breville Smart Grinder may well suit your needs better…

Cheers Matt

Comment

Thanks for that. I had been eyeing that one off but was hoping to spend a little less :-). We actually use a Breville Smart Grinder at work and it does work well, but is slightly more expensive than the Lido 2.

How do the Hario Skerton and Mini Mills compare in regard to the Lido 2 with regard to function and grind quality?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt
        Here is a good place to start…

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/3...ch-presso.html

But a scroll through this grinder thread has lots of reviews on hand grinders - unfortunately the consensus seems to be that small, cheap hand grinders are great for travel with manual methods like an aeropress - but too slow, fiddly and a little inconsistent for use with a machine. A cheap brevile grinder on special is probably your best bet, or look in the for sale section for a second hand Compak or Rancilio Rocky?

Comment

Thanks for that info.

Maybe I should just wait a bit longer and spring for the Lido or a Breville... :-)

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRay View Post
            Thanks for that info.

Maybe I should just wait a bit longer and spring for the Lido or a Breville... :-)

Matt
            If your only pulling a couple of shots here and there and don't mind a work out go the Lido2 for sure. Grind quality for espresso is excellent.
            Check out the Lido2 thread for more of my thoughts.

Comment

I'll do that Steve, thanks for that!

Comment

Hand grinder would be your cheapest option if you dont mind spending a couple of minutes of labour intensive hand grinding prior, given me tasty results and all part of the morning ritual. Comandante or Porlex both with ceramic burrs

Comment

Hario skerton is fine with my Aeropress but it is hard work for espresso grinds. Fairly big steps in the grind adjustment, but it might depend on how good your machine is.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the information. I think I might borrow a hand grinder first to see if it's for me, and make a decision from ther.

Cheers!

Comment

Try out a Hario hand grinder. Japanese quality. You can't go wrong.

Comment

You should get a LIDO3 when it comes out....

There's a SCAJ event, and OE did a booth there..

google "SCAJ LIDO3" and find the link to the coffeegeek thread...

Comment

Hi Matt,

If you're in Melbourne, come and have a play with our demo Lido 2. They are a seriously high quality bit 'o kit.

Chris

Comment

Thanks again for the suggestions.
                            Chris, I'm in Adelaide unfortunately, but thanks for the offer. The reviews I've read are pretty positive, so when the time comes I'd be happy to buy on reputation.

Regards,

Matt

Comment

The Cafe de Tiamo is great quality and good value. I love the glass bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X