Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting a Breville BCG800

Hi all

I've been trying to get my BCG800 back to functional status for about a year. At least 6 months back I got fed up and bought a BCG820 and using that happily.

However I was hoping to get my BCG800 back running again so I can run decaf beans on one and caff beans on the other (please don't judge, caffeine keeps me awake if I drink it later than 3-4pm).

So, the issue: takes 2-3 presses with max amount set to fill a 2 shot basket. I think it all started about a year ago whilst grinding beans when I heard a crunch and since then the BCG800 has needed 2-3 presses of 2 shots to get a 2 shot basket full. I've cleaned it at least 10 times and only last week unbolted the bottom grinder to find a solitary coffee bean stuck below it which may have been there a very long time. I put it back together and still needs 2 presses but since getting rid of that bean the grind is more consistent.

Any ideas? It's almost like even though I choose 2 shots on the grinder I only get 1 shot output, and compared to the BCG820 the 'fauly' BCG800 is very slow.

Thanks
    Adam

The gears start to wear and don't mesh smoothly. This increases strain on the motor and slows the burr speed meaning a slower output.

Only way to fix it is to find a scrapped grinder with a dead PCB or burrs and build one from the two. Breville dont sell spares for these grinders.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just wait for this BCG800 to die for good and invest in yet another BCG820.

Comment

You may consider upgrading to a Macap or Compak or similar flat burr grinder.
        I like the Breville and use one at work but the fact remains that it's an appliance and really won't last more than a few years.

Site sponsor Talk Coffee has a good write up about coffee grinders and the right one to choose.

Read here: Buying guide- coffee grinders | Talk Coffee

Comment

Working...
        X