Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BCG820 grinder setting problem

Hello All,

I can be considered a novice in the area of grinding and brewing espresso, however been a fan of drinking it forever.

From all I have read, I learned that a grinder is as much, if not more, important as a espresso machine. Unfortunately, I had bought my first espresso machine when I learned this fact and had already bought a Krups XP4020. However, after reading many reviews and considering the economics side of thins, I settled on a Breville BCG820.

I modified the filter holder on my krups on a lathe (opened the bottom) to use unpressurized baskets and was able to find a double basket that fits pretty nice. I usually do single shots on the double basket and this might be a mistake in itself, I dont know, thats why I am here to learn.

The main problem I am having is the setting on the grinder. I cant seem to find a good setting. If I set it to fine grind, the machine seems to choke and I dont get any espresso flowing that the water inside the basket boils sometimes. Sometimes I get a very very fine flow and it passes the 30 sec. mark by a lot and it becomes bitter.

If I set it a little coarser, then I get spatter everywhere, the holes of the basket seem to clog and spatter coffee outside the machine, the open basket doesnt collect a nice flow from the center, like in most open basket videos.

I dont know what I am doing wrong. Does the machine lack the pressure to use a fine grind? Should I never use a double basket for single shots? How do I find the right setting on the grinder? Any helps is appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to CS!!!

Wondering about the beans you are using? Tell us about those too,please.

There will be answers to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by onehate View Post
      Hello All,

I usually do single shots on the double basket and this might be a mistake in itself, I dont know, thats why I am here to learn.

Should I never use a double basket for single shots? How do I find the right setting on the grinder? Any helps is appreciated.

Thanks.
      Hi Onehate,

I'm interested in the single shots in a double basket comment. Are you filling the double basket with a double shot of coffee (approx 18g) or are you only using enough grinds for a single shot (approx 9g) in the double basket?

If the latter, I'll suggest you use a single basket and adjust the fineness of the grind until you get a nice pour.

Comment

Its easier to make doubles than singles. See if you can get them right first.
        Seems you are getting a big difference for one click change in grinder settings. Is your grinder well?
        You can also vary the dose.

Comment

Working...
        X