Help me pick a grinder at or under $1600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a grinder at or under $1600

I'm looking at purchasing a Profitec 700 soon and can't decide on a grinder.
    My budget is $1600 and I've decided that I want a doserless model.

Generally, I only make 1 or 2 milk based coffees a day on weekdays, although I'm hoping that will change when I step up from my current machine/grinder combo and include more macchiatos etc.

I'd love to hear some opinions but after some research, I've whittled the list down to:

1) Super Jolly
    Cons; Retention and size although it's currently at the top of my list.

2) Baratza Forte
    Cons; Possible issues with build quality after reading a number of reviews and few retailers stock it which also makes me worry about quality. Mazzers are built like tanks and time tested.

Super easy to clean and recalibrate though and looks kinda trendy.

3) Eureka Zenith 65e
    Cons; Not stocked at all in Australia? Well reviewed and almost a perfect package(?)

All the features I could hope for really including value for money. I just wish the site sponsors stocked it. Not sure why no one has picked it up yet.

4) Quamar m80
    Cons; Seems to suffer retention issues too and not commonly recommended compared with Mazzer.

I want good, sturdy build quality, low retention and doserless. Quick, quiet and clean are bonuses that I'd value highly. Personally, I'm not a fan of doser models because they seem to be messy (we have a doser model mazzer mini at work).
    Last edited by Marxy24; 15 October 2015, 12:03 PM.

Why not a Macap M4D?

Comment

I might cop a bit of flack about this but I think it's a bit ugly. They also seem a bit messy although I'm probably exaggering a tad.

Comment

Have you looked at the Profitec T-64? That's one quick grinder.

Comment

You're right. They do seem super quick and initially it was at the top of my list. They also seem pretty quiet! I struck it off my list because I couldn't find many reviews and I worry about heat potentially affecting taste in the end product although that's probably completely unfounded.
          I also worry about build quality in the long run but that boils down to general lack of reviews and a couple of comments on the UK coffee forums. I also noticed the little rubber sleeves on the portafiler supports had worn away a bit on one of the YouTube videos.
          Again, mostly unfounded stuff all based on heresay but Mazzers are still recommended commonly.

I'd hate to spend all that cash and try explaining that a need a new grinder to the missus in a few years.

If anyone has had a chance to compare this and the models listed, and has a preference for this one, I'd seriously consider it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Marxy24 View Post
            I might cop a bit of flack about this but I think it's a bit ugly. They also seem a bit messy although I'm probably exaggering a tad.
            Well, beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but they look fairly inconspicuous to me. Mess? Bugger all in my case, but I've always used an OE dosing funnel with it....never tried without it. And, um, they're a great, fast, grinder.

Comment

If you're pulling two shots a day, you'll get more heat from sitting your grinder beside your coffee machine than from the grinding itself! I wouldn't worry about build quality. If you're happy to buy a profitec machine, you should be happy to buy a profitec grinder. Same engineering, same quality control. I hear you on the reviews, but with Mazzer so dominant that's expected. Go play with one and see what you think, or just get the Super Jolly (I'm hoping to buy a super jolly or a Macap M4D)

Comment

I suggest scratching off 2-4 from your list, add the T-64 and the M4D, and maybe a higher ranged Compak as well, and see who distributes them for you to go have a play with. If you don't want to purchase another grinder down the track, the Quamar and Baratza won't do the job, and if the Eureka has no support in Oz there's no point buying it.

Comment

Don't over think it. Or over internet it. ;-D

I can't understand why the SJ is at the top of your list. Noisy, slow, big and not made for the home environment.

You'll have to buy the short hopper if you are limited for height.

Can't fault the M4D for home use.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                    I can't understand why the SJ is at the top of your list. Noisy, slow, big and not made for the home environment.
                    Bloody love my SJ for home use. It's no noisier than the coffee machine. Grind retention not really a concern for me, I always do a 1-2sec purge. The overall footprint isn't really that big but I guess if your limited in height by low cupboards you'll need either a short hopper or just pour beans in the collar, which holds more than enough for a double. 12-13sec grind time for my double is more than quick enough for me. Plus I just love the looks and solid build of it.

Have to disagree with you on that one chokkidog - Prefect home grinder in my experience.

Comment

Have you comsidered an Hg one? A bit slower as its a hand grinder, but for one or two coffees??

retention - once you suss out static if
                      that's an issue - is virtually zero.

its not noisy. Only sound is that of beans being whittled down.

easy to clean.

looks cool.

~$1400

Comment

Originally posted by CaffeinatedAndrew View Post
                        Bloody love my SJ for home use. It's no noisier than the coffee machine. Grind retention not really a concern for me, I always do a 1-2sec purge. The overall footprint isn't really that big but I guess if your limited in height by low cupboards you'll need either a short hopper or just pour beans in the collar, which holds more than enough for a double. 12-13sec grind time for my double is more than quick enough for me. Plus I just love the looks and solid build of it.

Have to disagree with you on that one chokkidog - Prefect home grinder in my experience.
                        Glad to hear someone discount retention as an issue when selecting a grinder.

Great that you like your SJ, don't want to take that away from you... an opinion based on personal experience has more weight.

Still.... the M4D is top of my list for low volume home use.

Comment

Originally posted by Marxy24 View Post
                          There is a fully chromed model too that looks pretty awesome next to a shiny espresso machine...

Mal.

Comment

But for looks, even just seeing the machines in person makes all the difference I reckon. I used to think the Profitec grinder looked ugly as heck, then I saw it in situ and was almost tempted to buy one on the spot! Black M4D is just as appealing as Chromed imho. Internet research is important, but the amount of times my hours of research have been wasted by walking into a shop and trying what is on offer... Too many.

Sturdy build quality and doserless are good factors. Looks, that's a good factor too, although obviously does nothing positive for the grind. Heat and retention really isn't something worth worrying about, at the end of the day 90% of your coffees won't suffer for a stray gram, and if they do, purging is easy.

Comment

Hi,
                              I sold a Mazzer mini and bought an M4D about 7 years ago. I love it and would replace it with the same grinder again
                              Cheers Dr Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X