Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't choose a new grinder <$500

Hi guys,

I have a Sumbeam Café Series grinder. I use freshly roasted local beans and make decent expresso / latte with my Rancilio Silva.
    But always wanted to upgrade to a better quality grinder.
    Am hoping that one of these 3 will make an improvement to my coffee.

I am wanting to spent under $500 and have investigated :

Rocky
    Macap M2m
    Compak K3

M4, Mazzer Mini / Vario and Jolly seem a little out of my price range.

Was leaning towards the Macap M2m after good reviews but the Compak is stepless and 58mm burrs.
    Not sure if there is a difference in quality of grind with these 3 if so, would love to hear your opinions.

All advice appreciated.

If you tend to make mostly 1or 2 at a time, a lido hand grinder punches well above its price-weight. What are they now? About $250? I've got one, which I love.

just a left field suggestion anyway.

Comment

G'day "Cmars9"...

Of the grinders you have listed, I'd be leaning more towards the Macap or Compak; they're both a step up from the Rocky.
      Don't worry too much about the Stepped/Stepless argument as the steps on the M2M are small enough so as to not create any "dial-in" issues. Plus, should you wish to grind for other coffee brewing methods now and again, you will really appreciate the 'quick-change' aspect of a stepped adjustment grinder.

The other thing you mention about the 50mm vs 58mm burr-set size. In theory, it probably will make a small difference in grind time but practically, I don't think it would amount to much. You can't get into a Site Sponsor to get some hands-on demo comparisons, can you? Would make your decision process much simpler...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        G'day "Cmars9"...

Of the grinders you have listed, I'd be leaning more towards the Macap or Compak; they're both a step up from the Rocky.
        Don't worry too much about the Stepped/Stepless argument as the steps on the M2M are small enough so as to not create any "dial-in" issues. Plus, should you wish to grind for other coffee brewing methods now and again, you will really appreciate the 'quick-change' aspect of a stepped adjustment grinder.

The other thing you mention about the 50mm vs 58mm burr-set size. In theory, it probably will make a small difference in grind time but practically, I don't think it would amount to much. You can't get into a Site Sponsor to get some hands-on demo comparisons, can you? Would make your decision process much simpler...

Mal.
        thanks,
        I live in the country so its a bit hard to get any grinders in shop.

I found a Macap M2m for $400 delivered brand new.
        I also found the compak k3 for about $450.
        They seem to have the same features so i might just get the Macap unless the grind quality is not as good?

Thanks

Comment

Must search for a container of 'em at that price.

Comment

The grind speed on the M2M and K3 is very similar. If anything I reckon the M2M goes faster (and it's not even available in red).

Comment

Originally posted by Cmars9 View Post
              thanks,

Thanks

If it a bloke on gumtree, that price is ex-GST.

Comment

I am in the exact same position, looking at the Macap m2m and K3, and have also been quoted the exact same price as you, if it's the same guy, he is selling the m2m for $390 making postage only $10, thats a great price, unsure if he is a site sponsor but I think he is a coffeesnob member.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                  If it a bloke on gumtree, that price is ex-GST.
                  Wondering if he pays tax, GST or has anything in the way of bricks and mortar support and even if he doesn't, they're still stupid prices. Can't be any other way to make profit by selling at loss. Dodgy Bros.

Comment

thanks,

I also found the compak k3 for about $450.
                    They seem to have the same features so i might just get the Macap unless the grind quality is not as good?

Thanks
                    Welcome to CS!!!!

My 1st thought on your post was a whole heap of warning bells.

Caveat Emptor on this......

I appreciate funds are at a premium for most of us. But do consider making a deal where you will get great after sales service.

And for that, we have great site Sponsors who step up to the mark to help we learners on our coffee journey.

Good luck with your choices.

Comment

Rocky
                      Macap M2m
                      Compak K3
                      Leaving supplier issues aside for the moment... the Rocky is not a bad grinder. The primary reason it is so common is because of its pairing with Silvia. However, this association is short-sighted - there is no real basis for it beyond aesthetics (eg matching the red toaster with the red kettle). The other two grinders listed are better.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
                        Welcome to CS!!!!

My 1st thought on your post was a whole heap of warning bells.

Caveat Emptor on this......

I appreciate funds are at a premium for most of us. But do consider making a deal where you will get great after sales service.

And for that, we have great site Sponsors who step up to the mark to help we learners on our coffee journey.

Good luck with your choices.

Yea its just an ebay shop with a best offer of 375 and 25 delivery.

Comment

Different bloke to the gumtree guy. No address and like the tree guy- can't contact him either.

One of our suppliers has confirmed that he was selling grey import stuff (without GST?) and with no manufacturers warranty in the past....He is not authorised as a seller of Rocket and is not being supplied by the ECA (Aust importer) so it's quite probably still grey. As for the other gear, who knows?

The rest of us do the right thing (....and ultimately pick up the pieces for drop ship enterprises when it all turns to merde)....
                          Last edited by TC; 15 October 2015, 02:03 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Can this business and person be named so we can all see if we are talking about the same person/business, buying stuff on the net is hard and can be a trap, the web site I went to looks professional, but talk_coffee is correct, I can't see a contact phone number, email address or physical street address on the site I went to.

I need to buy off the net, I live in northern nsw, 3hours from Brisbane, and 8hours from Sydney so I can't just walk into a shop and talk to a salesman and look at machines, or even try a coffee from a demo machine,(how good must that be though, to actually try before you buy, I wouldn't buy a car unless I test drove it, and some coffee machines cost more than cars), so I use sites like coffeesnobs to help me make my decision, the more info I can get about both the product and the businesses selling them the better.

Sorry to the OP we have shifted away from grinders a little

Comment

Tony,

My best advice to you is send a quote request out to the Coffee Snob sponsors using the quote form.

You will find all can send to you in NSW, are real businesses and deal with authorised importers or resellers.

Comment

Working...
                              X