Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to Mazzer Kony

Hi all,
    Interested in some input from fellow snobs with a bit more experience than myself in grinders.
    My current set up is a expobar Minore 111 and a Mazzer Mini e with super jolly burs.

I was considering upgrading Minore at one point to a GS3, however I am now thinking I will keep the Minore and upgrade my grinder to a Kony.

My objective is to achieve a better taste. I am trying to achieve the same result as I get at my local cafe with the same beans (Seven Seeds Espresso blend) which I can not currently do with my set up. I have been trying for many years with this set up with dossing,grind,temperature. They are using Roburs and La Marzocco's.

Do you think this will get me closer to the result I am looking for or will the Minore still be my weak point, (and maybe my skills as well)
    Cheers

I can't comment on taste differences, I jumped straight into gs3/kony combo and I find myself disappointed by most cafes these days.

I'm not too clued up on the grind retention on the Mini's, but if I had my time again I would probably look into something with a little less grind retention for my home use (4-5 coffee household). That's not to say I'm not happy with the Kony, it just means I've had to take out the anti-static grid from the chute and brush it out fully to get it close to 1:1 in/out for single dosing. So this add's a few seconds on top of my usual routine, got it down pat but would be nice to not have to do it

Comment

i have both a mazzer mini manual and the kony e at home, using it with my Rocket R58 there is a definite taste difference.
      I was very skeptical at first also, but am glad i purchased the kony

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I have read about retention and it does concern me a little. I would plan on weighing and single dosing each shot, which is what I currently do anyway. I read about some people using a small blower on HB to clean the grinds out of the shoot of the Kony. How many grams do you think you need to clear out before each shot?

Comment

Hi Davie,

Large conical grinders are not suited to the technique you choose to use.

If after an initial morning purge, you can taste the difference using your technique, you should purchase something more appropriate. I'd suggest you consider doing it by hand. The Lido E will be a better match.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chris. My main concern is taste.

If I achieve closer to what my local caffe can then I will be happy. I don't mind dumping a few grinds.

I only make about 8 of a weekend (2 for me and 2 for the wife each sat and sun).

Comment

If you are absolutely dead-set on getting a large conical grinder, there's more around than just the Kony/Robur-E units...

If I was buying a large conical right now, would probably be looking very closely at a Macap M7D; better all-around design in my opinion...

There is also the "Compak E10 Conic OD" and the "Elektra Nino MK" But I don't know who sells the Nino...

Mal.
              Last edited by Dimal; 13 February 2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Thank Mal. Not dead set on the Kony.....wouldn't go the Robur due to its size.

Chris - I've just done a bit of research on the Lido and it sounds good. How do you think this would fair in taste to a Large conical such as Kony?

Comment

M7d properly dialled in even without a grind purge in the morning is so much better than 99% of the cafes it isnt funny. Wouldnt dream of pre weighing doses into it- totally unecessary.

Comment

Yes, love the conicals and I for one would not go back.

Davie, I think the Lido E will help you make up your mind without the initial need to spend well over $2k. It will do everything a big conical will in terms of cup quality.

It won't be difficult to on-sell any Lido if you decide it's not for you.

Chris

Comment

Davie, if you really want a Kony to grind as you describe you will have to modify the grind chute. There some CS who have done this and are very happy about it. They also replace the bean container with a variety of tubing. So with the advice given you may find some grinder that doesn't require modifying. That said my modified Kony-e is the best thing that happened to my coffee - well almost!

Comment

I've just gone through this process, spent weeks looking at all the options, I would have got a HG-1 if i could but my upgradeitis wouldn't stretch that far, settled on a kony but then i came across a near new Robur for $1100 so I went for it, thinking if its too big i can always sell it. I've had it for 2 days and i dont find it tedious at all. I single dose and brush the shute after each shot, bit like using a manual in the sense that there is a process involved in making the coffee. I've ordered a timer relay switch so I can have timed shot grinding if I am in a hurry, i will probably look at some sort of hopper mod to replace the giant hopper.

If think you want a large conical just get one, only regret i have is that i didn't get to try a HG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by awinner View Post
                          I've just gone through this process, spent weeks looking at all the options, I would have got a HG-1 if i could but my upgradeitis wouldn't stretch that far, settled on a kony but then i came across a near new Robur for $1100 so I went for it, thinking if its too big i can always sell it. I've had it for 2 days and i dont find it tedious at all. I single dose and brush the shute after each shot, bit like using a manual in the sense that there is a process involved in making the coffee. I've ordered a timer relay switch so I can have timed shot grinding if I am in a hurry, i will probably look at some sort of hopper mod to replace the giant hopper.

If think you want a large conical just get one, only regret i have is that i didn't get to try a HG-1.
                          What grinder did you have previously, and have you noticed a difference in taste with the Robur. Doesn't the HG-1 use the same burrs as the Robur, so I wouldn't imagine that much difference in taste between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Davie View Post
                            What grinder did you have previously, and have you noticed a difference in taste with the Robur. Doesn't the HG-1 use the same burrs as the Robur, so I wouldn't imagine that much difference in taste between the two.
                            Its an extreme change, my previous grinder was a rocky and yes, I still use a rancilio silvia, the taste difference is massive, so much so that I'm not convinced that upgrading my machine will make a difference.

As for the HG-1, it not the taste. I think it just might be more aesthetically pleasing in the kitchen along with less wastage.

Comment

As a matter of interest Davie...
                              What is your preferred coffee drink?
                              Espresso, Long Black, Lungo, etc...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X