Super Jolly heavy-duty custom handle for regulation ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Jolly heavy-duty custom handle for regulation ring

Good looking modification Sprezz, what size bolt did you use? looks to be about 6mm on my Mini.

Comment

Be careful putting a handle on that allows more leverage - if the collar has been installed correctly and has clean threads, you barely need the handle at all, and if it's stiff enough that you need extra leverage you risk snapping off the handle where it exits the collar. I've seen Mazzers with no handle fitted as they have been allowed to get clogged with coffee in the threads and very stiff to turn, to the point where the handle breaks off, and instead of fixing the stiff collar it's just had another handle fitted to another of the holes in the collar, which soon snaps off, and this repeats until all the collar holes have broken bits of handle in them.

Comment

Think its more cosmetic than providing extra leverage Morgan, in fact if anything the handle looks shorter than the original, = less leverage.

Regardless, you make a good point, keep your Mazzer clean, particularly the threads of the burr carrier.
        Last edited by Yelta; 26 March 2016, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Morgan is correct: my biggest issue with Mazzer. Resin-stuck threads. I cleaned this one and applied Inox MX6. The Mazzer pin was bent and a new one was $$ so I made a 'forefinger' one out of Delrin, M5 x 35mm x 1mm t/p and two suitable washers.

Cost: $3.00

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
            Think its more cosmetic than providing extra leverage Morgan, in fact if anything the handle looks shorter than the original, = less leverage.

Regardless, you make a good point, keep your Mazzer clean, particularly the threads of the burr carrier.
            It is shorter and ... I dare say it looks better. Next one out of wood!

Comment

Originally posted by sprezzatura View Post
              Morgan is correct: my biggest issue with Mazzer. Resin-stuck threads. I cleaned this one and applied Inox MX6. The Mazzer pin was bent and a new one was $$ so I made a 'forefinger' one out of Delrin, M5 x 35mm x 1mm t/p and two suitable washers.

Cost: $3.00
              I'm with you on the M5 x 35, but 1mm t/p????

PS I clean the Mini pretty regularly, have never had a problem with clogged thread.

Comment

Sorry, Yelta: 1mm thread

Comment

Yes ... this is an old girl. Heavy use, dark blend. I cleaned it up and ... well, I just plugged it in and adjusted the grind and ducked out of the café and five old ladies asked me if the coffee machine was working because they're really looking forward to their flat whites [emoji14].

Comment

Working...
                  X