• Baratza Sette

First pics I've seen of the new baratza
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	758604
    Looks really nice!

Some nice features too. Not much love for Baratza on CS though. I wonder if its weighing works with the bin, or just the pf holder? Sorta grown attached to having a bin.

Comment

This looks like the bin in this picture - so appears it is getting weighed. Cylinder shape not good for pouring grinds into basket though.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	sette-270-isolft.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	741839

Comment

I just learned that they will be working with acaia to integrate wieght/app in the new baratza
        Baratza Reveals the Sette: One Rotating Ring to Rule Them All | Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine
        Last edited by Alexpid; 3 April 2016, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by simonko View Post
          Cylinder shape not good for pouring grinds into basket though.
          Looks to have a spout on the front

Comment

Unless it is much better built than the Preciso it is replacing, it will be just another appliance grinder. A fancy one with great looking features and gizmos, but is it another a throw-away with a short life and little resale value ??.

If Baratza put more resources into improving the quality and longevity of their products and less into designing and making new models, they could have some good gear. But they keep releasing new designs that don't seem to have been properly tested, then they sell parts for upgrades to overcome the problems experienced by users.

The Etzinger burrs (used in some models) are very good, but they are mounted in plastic housings and driven by plastic gears. The wear and flex of these parts requires frequent adjusting and re-calibration.

It will be interesting to see if they have learned anything from the Preciso and use more metal and less plastic in this one.

Comment

3 years now with a Preciso, 50 kg through it, it could die now and it's served its purpose in ways that more expensive grinders wouldn't have. No frequent adjustments, no recalibration either beyond changing the grind as beans mature.

Sure I've just recently replaced the burr holder for the second time, but it's a sacrificial $4 part that was designed to crack should a rock or such be encountered. Much preferable to me than stalling the motor or wrecking the burrs. Baratza aim at a price point - one would hope anything more expensive is superior in certain ways.

I'll check out reviews of course of this 270W, but the weighing method (if accurate which I'm sceptical of) has captured my attention.

Comment

With a retail price of $500, might as well get a Compak K3 or a Macap M2M instead, both proven and reliable grinders.

Comment

3 years now with a Preciso, 50 kg through it, it could die now and it's served its purpose in ways that more expensive grinders wouldn't have. No frequent adjustments, no recalibration either beyond changing the grind as beans mature.
                  Maybe I got a lemon. I gave up on my Preciso in just under 2 years, and probably less than 30 Kg's. As it got older it needed frequent adjustment and re-calibration, and very frequent cleaning - and not just a quick clean, but a complete strip down, scrub down and reassembly. For the first year it was good, but eventually it was so high maintenance that it was more trouble than it was worth, so I scrapped it.

Comment

3 years now with a Preciso, 50 kg through it, it could die now and it's served its purpose in ways that more expensive grinders wouldn't have.
                    50Kg is nothing for any of the many Italian/Spanish made grinders recommended here. Several wouldn't even be run-in yet...

When you have a grinder that has processed upwards of a tonne of coffee and still asking for more, then you can say you've got your money's worth...

Mal.

Comment

...if you indeed will be putting a tonne through it. If not, you'll be paying for longevity never needed and reliant on good resale prices to get your money's worth. Good resale's easier to pick once after a grinder's been out many years and gets a reputation, but a bit of luck when just released. Wait those years and you're missing out on the latest tech if that's indeed important. I do feel both buying high and buying low strategies do have merit however.

Comment

i like the different styling, especially the way you cant see the tapered rear base from the front corner view,looks like the figure 7.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by artman View Post
                          .. looks like the figure 7.

cheers
                          It's meant to, sette being italian for seven. It also weights 7 pounds .

Comment

Originally posted by roburu View Post
                            It's meant to, sette being italian for seven. It also weights 7 pounds .
                            i guess the heavy duty 10 pound version will be a two piece affair!!??

cheers

Comment

...if you indeed will be putting a tonne through it.
                              Will happen one day...

Wait those years and you're missing out on the latest tech if that's indeed important.
                              No, not important in the slightest.
                              Ongoing and reliable quality in the cup is what I consider important...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X