Upgrading from mini e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from mini e

Im thinking about upgrading from my mazzer mini e. I have found a compak k10 pb conical with doser. Are they good? Any other grinders to consider?

The Compak K10 is an excellent grinder. As far as doser mechanisms go, I believe they are nicer to use than Mazzers- a better feel IMHO. You should consider any similar Titan conical, but you certainly won't go wrong with a K10.

Comment

Just read about the grind retention in these large conical burr grinders!!!

Not really suitable for a one coffee drinking household like mine. I drink 3-4 double every day so flushing a double shot each day is pretty much.

Im staying with my mini e - for the moment

Comment

Originally posted by Alexpid View Post
        Just read about the grind retention in these large conical burr grinders!!!

Not really suitable for a one coffee drinking household like mine. I drink 3-4 double every day so flushing a double shot each day is pretty much.

Im staying with my mini e - for the moment

Once you experience the improvement in taste, you will be prepared to live with the retention. The retention is something that can be minimised via technique. Different conicals have different degrees of retention.

Comment

I guess you are talking about single dosing?

I use that with my grinder for drip coffee already, so I know the drill.

The plan is to buy a second hand k10 or Major restore it and set it up to single dose.

Comment

I single dose with my Compak K8 Silenzio. I used to think I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, but it's actually quite a simple and quick process to brush the chute once you get used to it. The end result is almost zero grind retention so it's worth it. The bonus is that I have a commercial grinder with a commercial doser for when I'm making multiple coffees for guests.

Comment

Well a lot of benefits I see... So I just have to find the right grinder at the right price.. A mazzer major doser is the best in my budget range right now. K10 is double price.

Comment

Conical and zero retention.... OE Lido E grinder | Talk Coffee

Comment

Do the larger grinders need a large amount of coffee each day to keep producing good grinds? I read something about seasoning the burrs...

Comment

Do the larger grinders need a large amount of coffee each day to keep producing good grinds? I read something about seasoning the burrs...
                    No they don't- they are far more consistent that flat burr grinders. Seasoning is when you change the burrs and install new ones- something you will need to do very rarely with a conical. When you do, seasoning takes anywhere from 2kg to 10kg of coffee depending on the grinder. My Nino took 2 kg and it settled down.

Comment

Well a lot of benefits I see... So I just have to find the right grinder at the right price.. A mazzer major doser is the best in my budget range right now. K10 is double price.

A Major still has flat burrs. I've tried them- great grinder, but conical gives a greater taste depth profile. I would recommend you save up for the K10.

Comment

From our conical range, recent experience is that with Mazzer, the answer continues to be yes. I reckon they take 2000 shots to settle.

Compak K and F series seem right straight out of the box. Macap is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                          From our conical range, recent experience is that with Mazzer, the answer continues to be yes. I reckon they take 2000 shots to settle.

Compak K and F series seem right straight out of the box. Macap is good too.
                          Crikey, so that means I have only 1,852 shots to go, better have another coffee.

Comment

I agree..I have played with the k10 belonging to a mate of mine and it produces much better depth than the major. I have owned a major for a while now and when I do decide to step up it will be a Compak conical for sure. Definitely try them out first if you can.

Comment

Wow - great feedback!
                              Now I'm not scared of grind retention or dosers anymore! I might just buy this:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	741970
                              900 aud is a steal right?

Comment

Working...
                              X