Seasoning burrs, a misleading term.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoning burrs, a misleading term.

We frequently hear discussions about seasoning burrs, I can picture people loading their new grinder up with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme to carry out this mystical seasoning process, the term is totally misleading.

What in fact is happening is a process of running in, the same thing as running in a new motor, what happens is rough edges and any irregularities are worn off and to a degree polished, the parts bed in and reach a state of stability where they begin to perform at their optimum, hopefully for a long and trouble free life.

So I'm calling the term seasoning b*ll*hit, bedding in or running in would indicate exactly what is happening,

Seasoning is the process of adding salt, herbs, or spices to food to enhance the flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning

Agreed seasoning is not the right term but I have nothing against Simon and Garfunkel Don't forget we also season our espresso machines after a chemical backflush (ie pour a seasoning shot).
    I'll accept 'running in' or 'wearing in'. Bedding in? Let me sleep on that one.

Comment

So long as you don't baste....

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
        Agreed seasoning is not the right term but I have nothing against Simon and Garfunkel
        Or the Stones.

Comment

You can, of course, 'season' a wok or cast iron plate by oiling and heating.....I guess that's where the questionable use of the term 'seasoning' has migrated from...

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
            Or the Stones.
            Indeed...or the Stones

Comment

So we should oil and heat our new burrs before use?

Comment

Did the Stones do a cover of Scarborough Fair?

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                  Did the Stones do a cover of Scarborough Fair?
                  No, but they sang 'Thyme is on My Side'

Comment

I can already see the next hot topic: "Is variable or constant rpm better for running in my Mazzer Mini?"

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                      I can already see the next hot topic: "Is variable or constant rpm better for running in my Mazzer Mini?"
                      Very good point Mr Jack, and perhaps there is an opportunity for an enterprising designer in the concept, we have pressure profiling in espresso machines, I foresee the introduction of speed profiling in grinders along with the flavour nuances produced by grinding at different speeds.

Remember you saw it here first GRINDER SPEED PROFILING

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                        Very good point Mr Jack, and perhaps there is an opportunity for an enterprising designer in the concept, we have pressure profiling in espresso machines, I foresee the introduction of speed profiling in grinders along with the flavour nuances produced by grinding at different speeds.

Remember you saw it here first GRINDER SPEED PROFILING
                        Of course, you should reduce grinder speed towards the end of the grind, to offset the impact of heating due to friction and avoid "shocking" the coffee, which would otherwise occur with a sudden reduction in speed to 0 rpm.

This replicates the "fatigue effect" which occurs in manual grinding, resulting in a much more satisfying espresso. The effect is even more pronounced at larger grind sizes for filter coffee.
                        Last edited by MrJack; 27 April 2016, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Speed variability already exists with the EG-1. The variation during grind is only a hack away

Comment

In ski racing, they call it "detuning".

Basically after the metal ski edges are tuned (ie: sharpened) the preparer then slightly rounds off the edge near the very front of the ski.

This stops the ski hooking up too aggressively.

Comment

Working...
                            X