Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EK43 Mahlkonig - HOME USE

Hi all,

Im looking into getting a new bag grinder, I have been looking at the ek43 mahlkonig. Can someone tell me if these are suitable for home use also. I understand they are a large grinder and I also see you can get an attachment for them for espresso. Just wondering if they are more of a fuss to use for home and better just as a bag grinder?

I guess im thinking of doing away with my current bag grinder and my smaller grinder i use with my machine should the EK be suitable to use for both.

Kind regards,

Chris

Originally posted by coffeechris View Post
    Hi all,

Im looking into getting a new bag grinder, I have been looking at the ek43 mahlkonig. Can someone tell me if these are suitable for home use also. I understand they are a large grinder and I also see you can get an attachment for them for espresso. Just wondering if they are more of a fuss to use for home and better just as a bag grinder?

I guess im thinking of doing away with my current bag grinder and my smaller grinder i use with my machine should the EK be suitable to use for both.

Kind regards,

Chris
    I can tell you I used one of the EKs at work to grind decaf filter coffee, then espresso (a little messy) and then the best ground filter coffee I've ever had through a grinder with a quick adjustment of the dial.

I refrain from engaging in grinder discussions but my choice when I finally select a grinder with be between an EK43 and the Ditting KR805 with magnetically seated cutters.

Comment

I assumed it might be a little messy. It might be what i'm trying to work out is it worth it? I guess i wont have to hold the portafilter there long as it will grind the required amount pretty quickly.

Comment

I assumed it might be a little messy. It might be what i'm trying to work out is it worth it? I guess i wont have to hold the portafilter there long as it will grind the required amount pretty quickly.
        There's a great little funnel that snaps on to a portafiltre to guide the throughput. Site sponsors have them.

We drink a lot of filter coffee but I tune and test espresso machines. I also have 2-3 different coffee roasts at any one time. The EK just seems more and more like the right grinder for our purposes.

Comment

Similar to you i roast a few different blends which i try through my home grinder. However it means removing thr beans that are in there to do so. I have used the ditting i have as a home grinder but felt it was not the most ergonomical grinder to use. Im sure the EK isnt the best either but hey i will see what others have to say.
          Thanks for your thoughts
          😉

Comment

Same thoughts here with the Ditting. I work on Ditting grinders and they're rock solid. I suppose the cutters are about the same price - I think RRP EK43 hovers around $.6K for a set.

I'll be interested in what other forum members say as well. I'm not convinced either. I've used the '43 so I'm familiar with it is all.

Comment

When i was at MICE i was actully surprised how big the EK43 was. Should have taken more notice at the time and had a better look and a play with one.

Comment

When i was at MICE i was actully surprised how big the EK43 was. Should have taken more notice at the time and had a better look and a play with one.
                Artisan Smith makes a beautiful wooden hopper for the '43. If I get one I'll drop it down a bit - maybe a recess on my work bench. The small hopper looks good on them.

Comment

... which reminds me: I saw an image of a chopped down '43. It may be more user friendly (I am not tall) if one doesn't grind directly into 1 kilo/500g bags.

Comment

Hi all

New to site & enjoying all the info

On the EK43 Mahlkonig has a new one due late 2016 called the EK43 Barista
                    Maybe this is what you saw sprezzatura ?

This article has a pic of the new Barista model in front of the taller original model

Last edited by Mania; 30 April 2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

<deleted> sorry dbl posted
                      Last edited by Mania; 30 April 2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

There isn't any other grinder that can go between different kinds of coffee, roasts, brewing styles, make them all taste great and still do it with practically no wastage. I love our EK43 at work, We use it for SO espresso, decaf and filter, and switch between during service, once you get used it shots are incredibly repeatable if you accurately weigh your does on the way in and use a well cited jam funnel so you don't lose anything that comes out. You'll find it easy to hit your recipe to within 1 second = more god shots. The main draw back is size and cost.

Comment

Originally posted by muppet_man67 View Post
                          There isn't any other grinder that can go between different kinds of coffee, roasts, brewing styles, make them all taste great and still do it with practically no wastage.
                          Sorry to disappoint Muppet, but yes there is, and I have one. It's called an Elektra Nino. No jam funnel required either.......

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                            Sorry to disappoint Muppet, but yes there is, and I have one. It's called an Elektra Nino. No jam funnel required either.......
                            Agreed, Gavisconi ..... The Elektra Nino is one mighty grinder in performance, quality and (to my eyes) style.

Comment

So does the Elektra Nino act as a bag grinder as well? Have seen these brought up here in discussion but not paid much attention to them.

Interested to know more.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X