Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rice as a grinder burr set cleaning tool - revisited

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rice as a grinder burr set cleaning tool - revisited

    Was just reading through the latest Barista Hustle posts on FB and came across Matt Perger recommending that someone clean out their relatively new Mazzer Kold by running a couple of kgs of rice through it set on "super fine".

    Sorry but... WHAT THE...???

    Pretty sure April 1st was last month

    Is this really the go to answer for those caught up in the neo/post third wave groove?

  • #2
    Well...

    I guess it'd be similar to adding sand to the oil of your new motor rebuild, to speed up the running-in process...

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Here we go again....Incoming stuffed grinders.... Thanks Matt

      Wish he'd stick to making coffee.

      Comment


      • #4
        They recommend it for breaking in the HG-One as well..

        http://hg-one.com/the-hg-one-grinder...1/breaking-in/
        Seasoning the burrs

        It’s your choice. Let the burrs bed in at their own pace, and perhaps remove the flywheel lever, or accelerate the seasoning process. If you prefer a lower number of turns on the flywheel to grind your shot, the breaking in process can be accelerated by running uncooked par-boiled rice through the grinder. On a set of moderately seasoned TiN burrs, we have grind speeds of 38 rotations for 18g, while at the same still maintaining a relatively low user effort level.
        Personally I would just run a few kg's of supermarket crap beans through your grinder if you felt it needed "breaking in", or ask a local roaster for some old beans.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
          Here we go again....Incoming stuffed grinders.... Thanks Matt

          Wish he'd stick to making coffee.
          Not much time for his mumbo jumbo, the guy has been educated way beyond his level of intelligence.

          Remember, “Intellect is not wisdom.”

          Comment


          • #6
            They are talking about the par boiled rice you get in microwave pouces, not the hard dry stuff. That sometimes gets lost in translation though.
            Wouldn't be a whole lot different using grindz I would expect

            Comment


            • #7
              I think it's just better to stay right away from using any kind of rice, to be honest...

              Far too easy for people to use the wrong stuff...

              Mal.

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree . But I did have quite a good mushroom risotto from the thermomix tonight.

                And that's a coffee grinder, right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                  I think it's just better to stay right away from using any kind of rice, to be honest...

                  Far too easy for people to use the wrong stuff...

                  Mal.
                  im always amused by this snobby predudice against rice for cleaning grinders.
                  So many people do it successfully ( i would guess more than use Grindz etc) without issues.
                  Maybe if you do have problems, its because you dont know what you are doing ?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                    im always amused by this snobby predudice against rice for cleaning grinders.
                    So many people do it successfully ( i would guess more than use Grindz etc) without issues.
                    Maybe if you do have problems, its because you dont know what you are doing ?
                    This comment was uncalled for, I know that Dimal is is more than qualified to pass judgement on this practice, no prejudice (note the spelling) involved, simply common sense, to grind coffee use a coffee grinder, to mill rice use a rice mill.

                    As far as this comment is concerned "Maybe if you do have problems, its because you dont know what you are doing ?" I suspect your the one who knows not what you do.

                    If you add a couple of teaspoons of 240 grit carborundum to your rice it will greatly speed up the running in/cleaning process as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As someone has already mentioned, the folk at HG one recommend using a certain type of rice to season their burrs. They would not recommend it if they had not tested it and proven that it works with experiments.

                      As the saying goes, the trouble with common sense is it's not very common.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TRRR View Post
                        As someone has already mentioned, the folk at HG one recommend using a certain type of rice to season their burrs. They would not recommend it if they had not tested it and proven that it works with experiments.

                        As the saying goes, the trouble with common sense is it's not very common.
                        The HG One is a hand operated grinder, no chance of burning out a motor by bogging the burrs with fine rice grains and consequently stalling the thing, check the size of rice grains and how neatly they slot into the valleys between the cutting edges, overloading and stalling is a real possibility.

                        Regardless, if you feel comfortable running rice through your grinder, go for it, there's no law against it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Maybe, maybe not. Either way, stalling a motor wont do it any harm. Just have to clean it out if it doesn't work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            This comment was uncalled for, I know that Dimal is is more than qualified to pass judgement on this practice, no prejudice (note the spelling) involved, simply common sense, to grind coffee use a coffee grinder, to mill rice use a rice mill.

                            As far as this comment is concerned "Maybe if you do have problems, its because you dont know what you are doing ?" I suspect your the one who knows not what you do.

                            If you add a couple of teaspoons of 240 grit carborundum to your rice it will greatly speed up the running in/cleaning process as well.
                            Uncalled for comment ?.... That is sweet coming from the guy who called MP ... " educated way beyond his intelegence" ...
                            ...."pot ..kettlle ...black". Etc !
                            running in process ??...carborundum grit ?,... stalling motors, ?...not for me thankyou.
                            maybe i should repeat..
                            "if you do have problems, its because you dont know what you are doing" ..
                            ( and sorry mal, the comment was not directed at you personally, but to those who blindly dismiss a simple , effective burr cleaning option)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We pick us the pieces pretty much each week- for people who thought they knew what they were doing. We are more than happy to continue to do so- at our hourly rate.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X