Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had this problem with the Smart Grinder Pro ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had this problem with the Smart Grinder Pro ?

It set in after I'd moved from Sydney to Geelong - and I will admit from the outset that the 'removalists' were as bad as I've ever known ...

The grinder's output is like talc. I had it set, almost always, with the grind size on 11 and the grind duration on 9.8. Once here I found that I could only produce coffee even remotely drinkable by pushing the grind size up to ... wait for it ... 24 !!! Of course the duration was all over the shop, as the 24 wasn't really representative.

Took it in twice to a Breville authorised repairer; but they admitted they weren't really up on "these new models", and I got it back in exactly the same state.

So I've sent it up, reply paid !, to Breville in Chullora. Fingers crossed.

From what we read on the forum the Breville service at Chullora is top notch but as you found, some authorised repairers are hit and miss... but the fact the place you took it to doesn't see them says something about the local reliability I think.

Let us know what they find, it might help someone else in the future too.

Comment

Maybe the top burr has moved to a different setting which shifts the adjustment range, have you checked that?

Also, pretty sure they have a 2 year replacement warranty if it is still in the time frame.

Cheers

Comment

Oh, I agree, Andy ! - which is what made me grumpy at the thought of ... SOMETHING's causing my beautiful grinder to play up.
        My reply-paid parcel reached Chullora mail centre on Saturday, where it has sat ever since. Grrrrrrrr ...
        I shall scan the report when it eventually gets back, and post it here.
        P.S. Are you guys down here ? I shall be purchasing my next kilo of beans from you; and observe that I can pick them up from North Geelong ! Coulda knocked me down wiv a fevva ...

Comment

Artman, I am not a very techo person. I can clean my grinder - meaning that I know how to remove the top burr and blow into it, thus covering my face with coffee [grin] - but shifting the adjustment range ? Nup. Something I must, obviously, learn about. BUT NOT NOW ! - not without the grinder to look at ...

Comment

Originally posted by Marg1e View Post
            Artman, I am not a very techo person. I can clean my grinder - meaning that I know how to remove the top burr and blow into it, thus covering my face with coffee [grin] - but shifting the adjustment range ? Nup. Something I must, obviously, learn about. BUT NOT NOW ! - not without the grinder to look at ...
            Vacuuming would be better though. Coffee dust is pretty clever at finding it's way into all the internals with very little encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by kbilleter View Post
              Vacuuming would be better though. Coffee dust is pretty clever at finding it's way into all the internals with very little encouragement.
              Hmm. I do have a newish Dyson with a collection of appurtenances ...

Comment

....shifting the adjustment range ...
                Don't worry, it's actually very easy. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...tml#post573970

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
                  Don't worry, it's actually very easy. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/documentat...tml#post573970
                  Ah, but I want to make the grind COARSER ... Still, I shall add your excellent document to my Breville files - many thanks.

Comment

Ah, but I want to make the grind COARSER ... Still, I shall add your excellent document to my Breville files - many thanks.
                    The instructions also tell you how to make it coarser too. Just turn it the other way

Comment

Originally posted by MrFreddofrog View Post
                      The instructions also tell you how to make it coarser too. Just turn it the other way
                      Touché !

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        From what we read on the forum the Breville service at Chullora is top notch but as you found, some authorised repairers are hit and miss... but the fact the place you took it to doesn't see them says something about the local reliability I think.

Let us know what they find, it might help someone else in the future too.
                        Difficult to report on, this, Andy: they sent it back with an A4 sheet logging my problem and all relevant dates, together with three tiny snaplock bags - 1 saying '0', i saying '20' and the last saying '50'. Except that I have no idea what my own grind looked like. Anyway, I have, with lots of trials, found that it now works perfectly with settings of 14 for the grind size and 11.4 for the length of grind time. Not the same as originally; but I don't care ! I have a reliable shot to pull again, and I'm laughing.
                        Could only wish for Breville to have provided me with something by way of information about what was wrong ...

Comment

Originally posted by kbilleter View Post
                          I should've asked at the time: were you serious about vacuuming ?

Comment

I always use a vacuum to clean out grinders. Use a small brush on the burrs and cavities to agitate the coffee and the vacuum takes care of the rest.
                            Just make sure you empty the vacuum asap because stale coffee after sitting in the dust canister for a few days doesn't smell that nice.

Comment

My 820 smart grinder pro is having this problem now.
                              I just fully removed both burrs and cleaned it out with a brush and vacuum so it was like new, then reassembled it all back the way it was.
                              It worked perfectly for a couple shots and then made a clunk clunk a couple times while grinding and slowed right down.
                              The grind is now way too fine and takes forever.
                              Adjusting the top burr back the notch 3 (back two spots from the finest setting) and setting the grind to 30, it is still grinding much the same, taking about 26 seconds to output 20 g of grinds.

I pulled it all apart again and inspected the burrs - no signs of damage. Nothing was loose...

Anyone have a clue what this problem is and how it may be fixed?

Comment

Working...
                              X