This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fausto vs M4D

Apologies if this has been covered - a quick search didn't reveal any direct conparison.

It's upgraditis time! Not the Synchronika, but I've decided much as I like my Fiorenzato I would prefer a timed doserless grinder for daily use. A flat burr would probably suit my taste better than the conical too (I'll probably hold onto the Fiorenzato as a second grinder for SO beans that I want to come out a little brighter).

So these two would appear to be direct competitors on specs. Obviously there's a fair difference in price; is the Fausto significantly better in terms of performance or use? I'm kinda drawn to the aesthetics, and the pf holder and grind adjustment knob look like neat features - but maybe not worth the price premium unless there's something else I'm missing...

Any others I should be considering? Budget isn't the primary consideration; I'd rather buy once than score a bargain that I upgrade from in six months...

(I guess ECM/Profi 64 would be logical candidates...)

Originally posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Any others I should be considering?
    Have a look over the Compak E5OD... Between the Macap and Rocket on price. Streets ahead of all competitors on the software interface

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      Have a look over the Compak E5OD... Between the Macap and Rocket on price. Streets ahead of all competitors on the software interface
      Does the E5 OD have the same burr set as the K3?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinang3 View Post
        Does the E5 OD have the same burr set as the K3?
        No.

Charlie

Comment

Thanks for the replies - turns out there's lots to consider and these two aren't even in my final shortlist!

Definitely like the look of both the ECM and the Compak. Probably largely comes down to relatively minor things like pf holders, layout and aesthetics.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
            Lots of choice Matt.
            As discussed, the ECM Titan is another option. These landed a couple of weeks ago. Here's the Titan beside a Quamar Q50P
            Must say I'm a fan of that, though I'm sure it's overkill for a home setup... the plastic grind adjustment gear on the *64 is a little offputting, though I'm sure it's fine in practice, so nice to see some solid looking metal there. Is the dregs tray plastic though? Looks like metal in the ECM promo shots, but plastic in the photo above? Likely to be any big improvements in practice over the *64 models? I guess titanium burrs should outlive me...

Comment

I've been a Fausto owner/user since Saturday, so I'm still on my L-plates.

Adjusting the grind with the dial button is much, much easier than the stiff collar on my previous Mazzer. Setting the grind time (separate buttons for single and doubles) is also very easy. The machine is a bit quieter than the Mazzer, I think. There are some nice YouTube reviews on the Fausto. I went with the black option and I think it's very attractive on the bench.

I'm very, very happy with it so far and I'd include it in the mix of the excellent machines that are being discussed in the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                Thanks Chris, looks the goods. Is the PK range also worth considering/waiting for, or likely to be in another price bracket altogether?

Comment

Thanks Chris, looks the goods. Is the PK range also worth considering/waiting for, or likely to be in another price bracket altogether?
                  You only needed to look one thread down from this one Matt http://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/4...ompak-pkr.html

Comment

Aha! Thanks 👍

Comment

For those playing along at home, the answer ended up being "neither" - went with an ECM S64

Comment

For those playing along at home, the answer ended up being "neither" - went with an ECM S64
                        Have you got it already, how's it tasting.

Comment

Well done Matt, the agony of choosing is over!

The truth is we're spoilt for choice and we can't really go wrong with most of these machines we contemplate buying here.

Comment

Thanks again Paul! Now the real agony begins - waiting for the courier :/

Reckon you're right Richard; they all review well and the differences in features seem pretty minor. All else being equal probably would've prefered a portafilter holder rather than rest - but for the few seconds it takes to grind a double I guess I can live with holding it

I plan on using the timer (will still weigh the dose after, at least to begin with); I'm hoping the timer setting will be pretty much set and forget so software wasn't a deciding factor for me... aesthetics and the matchy-matchy factor was enough to tip me, along with Paul and Readeral's positive reviews of the almost-identical Profi.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                              I need to clarify something for readers of this thread. Nick mentioned that it looked like I hijacked this thread. Far from it. Matt called me before posting so we were already talking. There was lots of off-line Comms that you obviously don't see on the forum. I just want to clear that up 100%
                              I thought it was kinda funny that someone would think a recommendation in a thread asking for recommendations was a "hijack"...

Comment

Working...
                              X