Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baratza sette 270w - Thoughts buy guide

G'day team,

I own a Bezerra gulia and a bezerra grinder. looking to upgrade the grinder and saw the baratza sette 270w review buy Seattle coffee https://youtu.be/adt7fgG_Px8

I got pretty excited with the weight and compactness and small hopper as its just for home use?

Coffee parts are selling pre-order for $769 plus delivery

What is everyones thoughts? It looks the goods to me but need a push from the illustrious snobs?

is there anyone sponsor selling for better deals?

It's not out on sale yet - the reviews are using preproduction prototypes.

That said, it does look very innovative, offering the speed and output quality of grinders many times the price.

The bottomless grind path means that it essentially retains no stale grounds, which is ideal for domestic usage.

Comment

Not sure anyone even has a 270w prototype yet, do they?

There's quite a long thread maybe a two or three pages back, but mostly speculation. For $769 I'd want to see it in the flesh though - I don't mind spending $300 on things that aren't built like tanks but that's getting up there.

I have heard issues with the portafilter arms being problematic for smaller baskets (Guila is ok) and naked PFs.
      Last edited by simonko; 3 July 2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Hi Herzog,
        Thanks for the reply mate. Yes I just thought that it being due September that some of the sponsors may of had a crack of the test model. Being due September to CP I think surely they are out of the prototype stages.
        Being a cynic at heart I actually am reluctant to say its been exactly what i have been looking for. Removable small hopper with the grind path you mentioned so little wastage. Along with the scale to weight dosage etc all with the small footprint.

Comment

Hi simonko, Going to repost part of my message above.
          Thanks for the reply mate. Well I have heard very good things from Baratza/vario in regards to reliability and longevity (sure there will be lemons). For the features listed,I was actually surprised at the price. I see alot of other comparable grinders around the 1k mark (really for what they do it is still expensive but meh). Thanks for raising the arms issue. I will try and take my basket in in sep.

Yes I just thought that it being due September that some of the sponsors may of had a crack of the test model. Being due September to CP I think surely they are out of the prototype stages.
          Being a cynic at heart I actually am reluctant to say its been exactly what i have been looking for. Removable small hopper with the grind path you mentioned so little wastage. Along with the scale to weight dosage etc all with the small footprint.

Comment

Your PF will be fine and apparently an adapter is coming out for those with smaller baskets.

I don't know if it's changed recently but Baratza used to hit a nerve with a few sponsors as the importer allowed little margin for local dealers. But I'm pretty sure Coffeeparts didn't carry Baratza back then either so maybe things have changed. Baratza's cheaper grinders are known for their unreliability, so depending on how sturdy and reliable the Sette is, the sponsors who steer clear of appliance style gear probably won't touch it anyway.

If the grinder works out ok in the field, I might purchase it because of the weighing and bluetooth.

Comment

Certainly will be very interested to see how things pan out with this grinder. May look to down size from the La San Marco SM 95/A.
              Last I've seen on manufacturers site and US stores is that it's arriving/shipping in October. Not sure if CoffeeParts and other AU resellers will be getting it before then (ready to meet AU standards).

Comment

So mid November then...

"The good news is that we have made significant progress on our certifications this week – we have passed EMC (electromagnetic compatibility), the most difficult of the tests. We expect to complete the rest of the certifications within the next three weeks and then production will start shortly after that. Certifications for electrical appliances, such as grinders, is complex and challenging. With the Sette Series we have approached certification from a worldwide perspective. This has lengthened the certification process, but we feel, in the end, that this will simplify our worldwide release.
                The downside is that this certification process has caused delay in production and shipping. We have notified our Resellers in the US and Canada that they will now receive grinders in the 2nd week of October and you (grinder user) can expect to get them very soon after that. We are working on the updated timeline for our International Resellers, but currently are moving towards Mid November for availability.
                Thank you for your patience as you await the delivery of your Sette."

REF: Sette - Delay in Shipping - US & Canada - Baratza

Comment

Appears they updated / altered the design slightly of the portafilter holder. Others have already noted in reviews and testing that the old design wasn't as secure as they would have liked as well as possibly getting in the flow of grinds dropping in to PF.

REF: Sette Series-Upgrade of Convertible Holder - Baratza

Comment

Not surprising given that the units in the field are preproduction prototypes. They were always subject to changes.

Comment

looks like a pretty amazing grinder: small, weighs the coffee and does a 18g shot in 4.5 seconds.

the build quality may not be as bullet proof as other units but for a home user should be fine.

tentative thumbs up.

Comment

I actually watched the vids on HB yesterday - the speed is pretty impressive - pretty close to the Robur!

Comment

Should be hugely popular.

Comment

Just need it with planar burrs to get those chocolaty notes I love

Comment

will you supply these mate

Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                              ...... Waiting, waiting. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these

Comment

Working...
                              X