Macap M4D First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macap M4D First Impressions

Have had a Rocky doserless for many years, upgraded my espresso machine to a Minore III a while ago and have had an itching to do the same with the grinder. The Rocky has been good, but thought that there might be something better out there. Lashed out over the weekend and brought home a Macap M4D.

Apart from not initially being able to figure out which way to adjust for coarse vs fine (haha), its all very good. Have to say, its a pleasure to use. Have had a few sorts of beans through it and settings seem to vary for each. Timed doses are very easy, then maybe top up if necessary. Stepless adjustment is good, honed in on 60ml in 25 secs with about 17g coffee. Great shots, crema etc. Wasn't sure if it would make this much difference, but its pretty much chalk and cheese it seems. just better adjustment, easier to use, maybe consistency of grind is a factor? Everyone is liking the coffee more. Can't complain, it's been a good purchase. Highly recommended. More to come!

Forgot to mention a big thankyou to Julie at CS sponsor Coffee-A-Roma for help with the purchase of the M4D

Comment

Originally posted by mjs View Post
      Apart from not initially being able to figure out which way to adjust for coarse vs fine (haha), its all very good.
      I remember that with my M4 - clockwise screw - anit-clockwise numbers - pointy arrow finer - or is it coarser - numbers down … ?!?!?!?!
      Finally worked out the "adjustment screw clockwise for finer" and forget all the 'helpful' markings!

Congrats on your purchase - a great grinder.
      Enjoy!
      Matt

Comment

For me, it was ... turning the whole bean hopper clockwise = coarser (c = c), still can't remember which way to turn the actual adjusting worm drive haha

At one stage I had it cranked down really fine ..... got to say this thing can grind out some very fine ground coffee, much finer than the Rocky! Easily fine enough to get no shot at all!

Comment

yes after 3 years i still cant remember which way to turn the screw: my guide is smaller numbers= finer grinds.

The manual is totally useless in this regard.

Im also finding the LCD is too hard to read: i would like an LED which changes for the shot.

But in the end its a great grinder.

Comment

Easy... On the worm drive, tighter = finer, looser = coarser.

Comment

Yes, but you still have to turn it one way, then the other to tell which is which. Yes, the manual is useless in this regard. Not much better in all other respects either!!

Fortunately, none of all that affects what comes out the chute!

Comment

Not for me....Tighter (clockwise) = finer = away from you.... Think screwdriver!

Comment

Right handed or left handed worm drive?? haha

Comment

Originally posted by mjs View Post
                    Right handed or left handed worm drive?? haha
                    It depends on whether you are right or left handed and whether you are standing on the right or left side of the machine...

Some users are better suited to a Mazzer :P

Comment

Why not mark your worm drive once you work it out...

Comment

Originally posted by readeral View Post
                        Why not mark your worm drive once you work it out...
                        I've heard that if you keep the worm drive still but turn the entire grinder....

Comment

Lol! Ouch ... my everything is hurting from laughing.

Comment

Upgrade to caterpillar drive - it's more intuitive.

Comment

Yeah but it's not stepless

Comment

Working...
                              X