Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for a Quiet Grinder in different price ranges

Good afternoon Gentleman,

New member here; but not knew to coffee.

I currently enjoy fresh beans in a French press while at home, and an expresso/long black while out. I use a hand grinder of some antiquity. Origin long forgotten. No pedigree. One of the ones in a wooden box with a drawer that comes out and lever on top. Still works ... sort of. Hence French press. Time for a replacement.

One major requirement of any equipment I buy is that it must be quiet. And I mean really quiet. Sleeping significant other, general noise intolerance etc.

I am reluctant to take on an expresso machine for that reason. And for the complexity it brings to my life. Frankly all I am up to at 6am is grinding a few fresh beans, pouring hot water over coarse coffee grinds, letting it sit for three minutes, enjoying the aroma, pressing and pouring. Occasionally I'll manage a Moka pot. About the only way I enjoy coffee more at home is Turkish. Which is a whole different thing. And I haven't had one now in a few years: refer paragraph 1.

I have been to friends houses with expresso machines and I have to say - I've always been a little underwhelmed: seems a whole lot of fuss for a reasonably forgettable experience: then again I never take milk, so problems stand out. Or I'm not that much of a connoisseur. The exception was someone's place who had some very expensive copper Italian Lever machine that made exquisite coffee. Now that was amazing. Forget what it was now. He took it very seriously. Rightly so, rightly so.

So, back to point: I need a decent grinder: one that does French Press, Moka/expresso and, desirably, Turkish.

Now, most of the commercial grinders in cafes I have heard sound like 747's (or modern equivalent) taking off. Dosers make no sense to me in a domestic single use environment. I hate the "clack clack clack" , they add a complexity I don't need, and delay the delivery of the fresh grind. And waste beans. I hate waste.

Ditto (I think) dose measure & grind timers. But above all what I want is quiet. A serene grinding experience that does not shatter my dawn.

So; please give me your recommendations for the quietest half decent grinder suitable for French press all the way through to Turkish if possible. I'd prefer something that doesn't involve turning a handle (I'm old and getting older) unless it is like eg an HG-1, which has a really cool handle and appears effortless. I have thought briefly about the Rosco Mini Grinder - being apparently well crafted and made in Australia - but am unsure how much effort you actually have to put into it: from experience 1 minute on a hand grinder is a looooong time. As I say - I'm kind of at a stage where I just want to push a button.

Lastly the smaller and less conspicuous the better. Not because I don't have the space - but because I like compact and small design. I like quality well made products. Hence why although the Breville 820 BSS may serve function well enough, it is largely made of plastic and underwhelming. I can't see it being bought.

In any event dive in, and don't feel price constrained. I always like knowing what is out there.

Many thanks

Laj

The Lido E would be good, but it is a hand grinder. I don't think you will get a quite electric one.

Comment

Welcome Laj,

Seems you might be in the market for the unicorn of grinders, no harm investigating if such a grinder actually exists, but don't be offended if we don't come up with any other solutions for you.

If cafe grinders sound like a 747 to you, what are you actually hoping the volume of your dream home grinder would be? What is your maximum volume tolerance? What is quiet to me may be loud to you, so some sort of analogy to another kitchen appliance might help us help you assess grinders for volume.. I suspect that the HG-1 will probably be your best bet in the end, as in reality, nothing can beat a hand grinder for quietness.

Al

Comment

Thank you for the replies and welcome.

Really? - no one has thought to design a quiet electric coffee grinder? Goodness. Nothing makes less noise than a hand grinder .... I am disappointed.

I looked at the Lido's and the Pharos, but frankly, listening to them online left me with the impression they were noisy as all get out.

Quiet to means around 60 - 65 db I suppose - where ambient background noise is 40-55 db at home.

An alternative may be industrial ear muffs. Cheaper than a HG-1....

Does anyone have an HG-1 here?

Comment

Originally posted by Laj View Post
          Thank you for the replies and welcome.

Really? - no one has thought to design a quiet electric coffee grinder? Goodness. Nothing makes less noise than a hand grinder .... I am disappointed
          I'm with you on the wish for a quiet grinder. I'm sure there is a market for one, and if it was economically viable somebody would probably have made it already. The fact that nobody has suggests to me that the torque required to smash coffee beans to dust is just too much to make a quiet grinder that is small enough for the house and also able to come in at a price that's palatable to users.

As to the lido and pharos being noisy, the only sound is that of the beans being milled, so I can't see it being possible to get any quieter especially once you add a high powered motor to the mix. A large commercial conical grinder may be your only option, as although they are loud, you only have to put up with the noise for 3 seconds at a time, this would bring in a major hassle switching between grinds for different brew styles mind you.

I'll also add that you can get killer espresso from a small manual lever like the pavoni europiccola or Olympia cremina if you're feeling flush. My pavoni makes less noise than the jug boiling

Comment

I've looked low and high for a quiet grinder for the longest time as well. There is just none. Even the quietest electric grinder can still be pretty loud. My definition of loud (for practical purpose) - if you grind your morning coffee at 6am, would that wake up that person/family sleeping 3-5 meters away?

The cheaper electric grinders (especially <$500) are the worst offenders - screech like a banshee. The HG-1 and EG-1 are much louder than most hand grinders due to their open bean chamber. If you want a quiet grinder, I would stay clear of them.

The Rosco Mini is one of the quietest grinders but it is a hand grinder as you noted. It still generate noise (from bean crushing) but is much dampened compared to others. The Mahlkonig K30 and Robur E I am using are pretty quiet among electric grinders, but are way overkill and still louder than the Rosco Mini.

There're the Monolith grinders (new grinders from US) reported to be even quieter but at $2k USD, it is way overkill for most casual coffee drinkers....

Comment

Thank you Samuel Law and Mr Funk. I am in error: the HG -1 is loud it seems: http://www.home-barista.com/advice/l...er-t38171.html

Pavoni Europiccola you say. I shall investigate. Difficult to use for a dullard?

Comment

Hmmm, post disappeared. Odd. Anyway K30 appears quiet-ish, not least because it only takes a very short time for a single shot. Large, however. And expensive, it seems, here....

Comment

Why not simply buy a sound shield enclosure as designed for commercial blenders? Whisper Blend seems to know what they are on about and grinders and blenders are similar in shape so they may be worth a look.

Comment

I have an hg1 and a lido2.

The lido is quiet. No louder than a tap running. Takes about 40 sec to grind 18g for espresso. (Less time for coarser.) And it'll do your whole range (French press - Turkish.)

hg1 is a very user friendly grinder, but yeah, louder.

the manual lever is definitely a good suggestion. I'd say your friend had a La Pavoni or an Elektra. Look them up. Quieter than a kettle as mentioned above.

Good luck.

Comment

Ahhh - very good Mr shortblackman (is that an expresso btw?). Lido then may well be the answer. Oh yes - it was an Elektra - I remember the look when I googled it. It made lovely coffee.

Very well then, perhaps a Lido and some form of Lever to play with. What would people suggest for a novice? Actually which is the smallest - I like small. Requirements are to be able to make a coffee for myself and my wife each morning and a couple on the weekends, no need for steam.

Something simple. I am not awake before 9am.

Comment

Never owned one, but one day I want to try a La Peppina as my first lever machine - espresso only, rudimentary or no steam capability (depending on model).
                        Extremely simple. Very hard to find.

Comment

Expresso? If I'm in a hurry, yes.

la Pavoni europiccola is definitely a great, small machine. I owned a "professional", which has a larger boiler capacity but little or no bigger footprint. I've got a bigger (quiet) machine now, but I was very fond of my Pavoni. It has its limitations, which are discussed in several threads. Those limitations were rarely a problem for me, though.

if you're in Melbourne, Casa Espresso are great. I notice a second hand is for sale in Sydney too for a good price.

Comment

Arrarex Caravel (please pick on my spelling, which I think is wrong ) is a really cool little lever as well. Never tried one, but I'd love too. Slightly less rare than the Peppina, I think.

Comment

Ah yes, those types of Lever look perfect for me - I don't need steam for milk. Does anyone make this sort of thing now? Odd if no one has. I note the Strietman (?) in this respect. That seems rather exotic, however. And in NL.

Mind you, lot to be said for sticking with my press, moka pot and turkish at home, and wandering down the road for my expresso. They make a very decent coffee. The beans are from Melbourne, as it happens. I buy them for home from them. Name escapes me.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. It seems I am getting another hand grinder. K30 is not in my budget for a couple of coffees at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X