Dose Control Pro Vs Smart Grinder Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dose Control Pro Vs Smart Grinder Pro

hi all.. i may well be in the market for a new grinder and was wondering if any of you have experiences with these two grinders.

From what i have read it seems both are resonably comparable but the main difference the smart grinder pro has .2 second increments compared with the 1 second of the dose control pro.

What one reads vs actual user experiences can be quite different and was wondering the forum thoughts on a comparison on these two grinders

I'd give them both a miss to be honest....

For not much more money, you can grab a decent Italian/Spanish grinder that will walk all over these two; and last forever...

Mal.

Comment

I have a Smart Grinder which was bundled with my BES920 several years ago. I'm looking for a better grinder. The smart grinder is a good entry level grinder but if you have more budget go for something else. I hear the Mcap M2 is a pretty good price and much better than the smart grinder if you are looking at low cost.

Comment

Originally posted by AUFC View Post
        hi all.. i may well be in the market for a new grinder and was wondering if any of you have experiences with these two grinders.

From what i have read it seems both are resonably comparable but the main difference the smart grinder pro has .2 second increments compared with the 1 second of the dose control pro.

What one reads vs actual user experiences can be quite different and was wondering the forum thoughts on a comparison on these two grinders
        Of the two you mention the Smart Grinder Pro is the better option. For espresso, the other one would be a frustrating experience. I have the earlier smart grinder version that controls time by an annoying "number of shots, plus or minus a bit" so it would be an improvement over that. Mostly though I use it as a backup grinder should I need it or for manual brew methods where it does quite ok.
        It was my main grinder for several months when I was starting out (with a Sunbeam 6910) and it was I thought ok (didn't have a lot to compare it to back then). But I recently had occasion to use it as my main espresso grinder for nearly 2 months after I sold my Mazzer SJ and before my Profitec T-64 arrived and boy I had to work on my patience skills (also my de-clumping and distribution techniques). I'd intended to use it for about 3 months to put more money aside but couldn't cope with it any longer.

Unless you're really keen to minimise expenditure (which I do understand) I'd hesitate to recommend the Smart Grinder. As Mal mentioned there are other options that are better for not a huge amount more.

Comment

thanks for the replies and suggestions.. unfortunately $$ were an issue for me and i had a quick ook at the Macap M2 and thats around double the smart grinder pro..

i had only just upgraded my coffee machine from a busted sunbeam cafe series (10 years old) to a sunbeam em7000 and only then found out my grinder (10 year old em0480) was cactus, so a totally unexpected added expense..

after reading the smart grinder pro topic yday i decided this was the grinder for me at $249 6 months interest free.

i dialled it pretty good on my 3rd attempt.. had to stop there as i wanted some sleep last night, tell you what i was super impressed with the quality of my cafe, even drank it without any sugar which is a first for me, really nice creama.. mind you i also used less than 5 day old roasted Brazilian beans

If this grinder is just an basic standard grinder i cant wait for the day i can actually afford an upgrade

thanks again

Comment

Fair enough and a good decision, it is certainly a capable grinder at a good price point and will serve you well. Enjoy!

Comment

Good choice for your situation. Don't throw your em0480 out, I'm sure someone will be able to fix it. Maybe sell it here on CS for just a little pocket money?

Comment

Working...
              X