No announcement yet.

Niche Zero Coffee Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since it's plastic it may have. I made my own from aluminium and didn't notice a change in retention. It would always drop a tenth of a gram or two if I rocked it back and forth, still does.

Comment

• Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
      Since it's plastic it may have. I made my own from aluminium and didn't notice a change in retention. It would always drop a tenth of a gram or two if I rocked it back and forth, still does.
      Mine is also self made from aluminium and I would echo L3N’s experience

Comment

• Originally posted by justacuppa View Post
        has anyone noticed more retention using the NFC disc? Since I installed the disc , I have noticed up to 0.5g of dose difference after grinding compare to a pretty consistent 0.1g difference before NFC. I also noticed when tapping the machine, some grinds would fall out . I am guessing the NFC disc might have introduced extra static in the grinding process?
        With mine, 0.1-0.2g before and after the disk installation which is the weight of one roasted coffee bean. If you completely clean the NZ, the retention I find is about 0.5g. I'm happy with the grinder given that when I get a new coffee, it takes me 1-2 doses to dial it in and using my flow control device on the Synchronika, I waste very little of my mail ordered coffee which by the time it's delivered, costs me $90/kg.

Comment

• Just got mine on Monday and in Melbourne there's not many left if you want to pick one up directly. Got mine from on old famous coffee snob sponsor who sure could talk coffee ? Ended up travelling from Casa Espresso in Cheltenham to Northcote. Thank god traffic was fairly light due to the current crisis. Anyway as I mentioned above I've had many grinders and I did another count and this is number 7 with the last one being the very classy Rocket Fausto made by Eureka and only after one day I can say that this is the best of the lot for sheer simplicity and accuracy. I remember a well know coffeesnob described this cynically (isn't he always) as flavor of the month back when this thread started in 2017 as it was starting to get popular, well I think many months have passed since that premature comment.
          The NFC disk was packaged separately in the box so that's all I had to do after unboxing. Weighed my first dose with 19gms and got 18.3gms out. ? Not a good start but every one after that was 18.9gms. Very consistent. I guess the conical burs need seasoning. I also saw a youtube video where someone had test tubes of exact doses so he didn't have to weigh every time. I thought that was a good idea so I found some small containers in a $2.00 shop. So I fill up a few at a time and they're ready to pour into the grinder. Work flow hasn't increased its just different. Instead of weighing the grind you're weighing the beans but the best part of all is there's no purging after changing the grind or at the beginning of the day or changing beans and its easy to clean. So I'm completely sold on the simplicity of single dosing. It would be hard for grinder number 8 to be anything other than a single dosing grinder. The only negative, and this is subjective, is that this grinder is the ugliest of the lot. Might end up painting the wooden bits glossy black. Anyone done that?

One last thing, I didn't like dosing into the basket by tipping the cup upside down then tapping and shaking it etc as it invariably led to uneven mounds in the basket requiring me to even it out using my finger. So now I just pour it into the basket with a funnel on the basket. One light tap on the bench and its ready for distributing and/or tamping. I'm working on a couple of stands so that I can directly dose into the basket making the work flow even better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200520_061945.jpg Views:	0 Size:	396.8 KB ID:	827960
          Attached Files
          Last edited by barri; 1 week ago.

Comment

• The timber is the only nice looking bit about it! I’m thinking of repainting the metal. And wish they hadn’t put the logo on the clear lid. I was to see the beans not the logo. And there’s a big enough one right under it lol.

I think your retention is just grinds that will inevitably live on the burrs. By your tenth shot you should be getting gram for gram out. I didn’t bother seasoning the burrs, I’ll just adjust to the variations until it settles in.

Comment

• Originally posted by barri View Post
              J The only negative, and this is subjective, is that this grinder is the ugliest of the lot. Might end up painting the wooden bits glossy black. Anyone done that?

Click image for larger version Name:	20200520_061945.jpg Views:	0 Size:	396.8 KB ID:	827960

im with you on that, was gonna get one myself as a second grinder, but i dont like the timber bits at all, but then again i'm not a huge fan of its looks overall. I know performance is more important, but i want both

Comment

• Originally posted by barri View Post
                Might end up painting the wooden bits glossy black. Anyone done that?
                I tried Japan black on mine and it helped a heap. Did investigate having a kit made in acetal ($$$) but I ultimately ended up with a skateboard kit from Joey of skateclaimcreate in the UK- also $$$
                Click image for larger version

Name:	niche.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	828110

Comment

• Looks like a beach house!

Comment

• I just gave the woodwork a light sanding then 3 coats of polyurethane to make it easier to clean.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I saw that small cup on a youtube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogEttZR5_EU ) and ordered some to see what they're like. Some other grinders grinders try to emulate a ZR grinder like the Niche using a device that works like bellows. This is similar and it turns the Niche from about 0.5% retention to about 0.1%. Just a quick push after a shot. Also good for end of day routine. The one I got sits too high so the lid can't close but I don't use it during the shot but after it. ebay link removed as per Site Posting Policy and there are others. Couldn't find the one in the video which sits lower

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200527_102923.jpg Views:	10 Size:	360.0 KB ID:	828809
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Javaphile; 3 days ago. Reason: ebay link removed

Comment

• Like the idea, a bit concerned about forcing air through a grinder though - prefer a thoughtful, safe(r),suck when cleaning. Can the fines be blown into potential problem areas inside a Niche by this method? - dunno - would like to. Barri, can you trim the cup for a snugger fit?

Comment

• Can't see any problem with either vacuuming or blowing, its all the same path but I still vacuum as part of a regular cleaning routine. This has been discussed on this site. https://www.home-barista.com/grinder...ro-t58297.html and here for the Eureka grinders https://www.eureka.co.it/en/plus/id/113.aspx and here https://www.home-barista.com/grinder...th-t56551.html

I don't need a snug fit as I only use this after grinding with the lid open if I feel its needed but one day I might trim it.

Comment

• Vacuuming is safer than using pressurised air at anything above about 20psi, just in case there are points of ingress (into the motor cavity, for example) for coffee particles travelling at speed...

Mal.

Comment

• Are those small blue bellows delivering more than 20psi Mal or are you talking about pressurized cans of air? There are quite a few brands now that offer bellows to provide some sort of ZR including the very popular Eureka atom ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5S4...ature=youtu.be ) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4vaHnPfzc ).

Comment

• G'day Barri...

All good with the use of bellows, just concerned in case somebody thought it was a good idea to use a compressed air source of some kind, from an air compressor for example.

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                                X