Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day Barri...

All good with the use of bellows, just concerned in case somebody thought it was a good idea to use a compressed air source of some kind, from an air compressor for example.

Mal.
    Mal, I didn't think Eureka would produce a product that was possibly harmful to the machine, in fact, I think Eureka have noted the popularity of the Niche and single dosing and done something about it. Anyway for OCD people like me that want's 19gms in and 18.99999gms out the? bellows idea is a good one, particularly at the end of the day

Comment

• Would this currently be the best value single doser ?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAST88 View Post
        Would this currently be the best value single doser ?
        I can see some potential in the LeverCraft Ultra (when there is a 230V version) but it's gonna represent more like 3 Niches...

For mine, the Niche was designed for single dosing. I see Eureka's bellows as more to facilitate cleaning. I still struggle to see any advantage in paying for a digital timer grinder and then using it to single dose. Surely you'd just buy the base model of whatever version/brand does it for you?
        Last edited by Caffeinator; 31 May 2020, 06:18 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post

I can see some potential in the LeverCraft Ultra (when there is a 230V version)
          According to HB both 110 and 230 are available from day 1.

Comment

I can see some potential in the LeverCraft Ultra (when there is a 230V version) but it's gonna represent more like 3 Niches...

For mine, the Niche was designed for single dosing. I see Eureka's bellows as more to facilitate cleaning. I still struggle to see any advantage in paying for a digital timer grinder and then using it to single dose. Surely you'd just buy the base model of whatever version/brand does it for you?
            That sure looks promising, wonder what rrp would be, it has to undercut the monolith to be able to sell. Digital timers are sure overkilled for homw single dosing. Thats why im getting rid of my Anfim SP2.

Comment

• Anyone know where I can get a white Niche at the moment? Would love to pick one up in Melbourne but wouldnt hesitate to order online either if there is stock.

Comment

• Caffeinator
                Caffeinator commented
                Editing a comment
                Unobtanium I am afraid. They are sold out Australia wide.

The next import is already fully allocated to resellers as well. Some are advertising available stock with an eta of July.

Might be best to place a pre-order with your chosen.

• benneb2
                benneb2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah yes, i thought as much. Might have to place a pre-order.

• You can use the drop down menu over on the right hand side and select “quote” fill in the details and your request and those sponsors who can help will contact you direct

Comment

• Mono
                Mono commented
                Editing a comment
                Oops, just read what I wrote, damn brain fart.... should be “left side” for the drop down menu.... sorry

• Originally posted by benneb2 View Post
              Anyone know where I can get a white Niche at the moment? Would love to pick one up in Melbourne but wouldnt hesitate to order online either if there is stock.
              Google "niche zero melbourne" First one on the list is where I bought mine recently

Comment

• Besides zero grind retention (which they refer to as "dose consistency"), is grind consistency going to be any better in the Zero vs a comparatible 63mm flat burr (single dosing)?

Has anyone evaluated this?

I know that my grind consistency is usually better in my 54mm flat burr when the hopper has beans in vs when i single dose.
                Last edited by stralto; 3 June 2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by benneb2 View Post
                  Anyone know where I can get a white Niche at the moment? Would love to pick one up in Melbourne but wouldnt hesitate to order online either if there is stock.
                  https://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/sto...w_disc%29.html

they might have 1 left

Comment

• Originally posted by stralto View Post
                    Has anyone evaluated this?
                    James Hoffman

Comment

James Hoffman
                      Watched the video. He made a general point that beans which popcorn at the end have a coarser grind and the Niche is not exempt from pop-corning. Though I wouldn't classify it as a proper evaluation - no experiment was conducted.

When I first noticed that this grinder was designed for Single dosing I got pretty excited in thinking the popcorn effect would be eliminated, and that grind consistency could be matched to that being dispersed from a full hopper.

Turns out not so.

So it's just no retention?

I'd rather keep my Quamar and purge 4g every day and at least have the option of adding a hopper for longer grinds.

Comment

• Caffeinator
                        Caffeinator commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes- his evaluation was prior to the supply of the NFC disk with Niche grinders. Given he kept his rather than giving it away, I'll rate him over most average palates. Note also that his review took place prior to the availability of the NFC disk. Chances are it's already fitted to his personal Niche...

• Originally posted by stralto View Post

Watched the video. He made a general point that beans which popcorn at the end have a coarser grind and the Niche is not exempt from pop-corning. Though I wouldn't classify it as a proper evaluation - no experiment was conducted.

When I first noticed that this grinder was designed for Single dosing I got pretty excited in thinking the popcorn effect would be eliminated, and that grind consistency could be matched to that being dispersed from a full hopper.

Turns out not so.

So it's just no retention?

I'd rather keep my Quamar and purge 4g every day and at least have the option of adding a hopper for longer grinds.
                      There is no “one size fits all” grinder that I am aware of, each to their own. The NFC disc seems to at least gone some way to resolving the single dosing pop corning phenomena. Grind time has reduced and generally a finer grind setting is needed which suggests less fines. My thoughts.

PS. Haven’t watched the video

Comment

• stralto: Couple of things to think about;

1) The Niche has 63mm conical burrs so a side by side comparison to flat burrs is not really productive. The taste profile for the same bean will be different for flat versus conical.
                        2) Every single doser grinder will have the same issue with lack of bean pressure, there is now a disc which regulates the flow of beans, reduces popcorning and anecdotally increases the uniformity if the grinds
                        3) There have been some blind tasting side by side against Compak K10 WBC, Mazzer Kony and EK43 which are on Home Barista (https://www.home-barista.com/reviews...ew-t57516.html) if this gets removed by mods just Google Niche versus EK43 (98mm flat burr). This includes blind tasting and extraction yields. The Niche (pre NFC disk) beat Mazzer Kony is extraction yields and was within 0.7% extraction yield of EK43 which is arguably the best grinder on the market in the commercial space. The fact that is beat Mazzer Kony in extraction yields means the design even with popcorning is likely getting a better grind distribution than the Mazzer Kony with the same burrs. The difference in tasting between EK43 and Niche were so close that Q qualified tasters couldn't really distinguish the difference, even though the EK43 has a clear advantage on extraction yields.

So in summary don't write it off until you try it out for yourself. Under about 3k the Niche is pretty hard to beat against pretty much any grinder out there, however some people do just prefer the flavour profile of flat burrs. Which is why as some point I will pickup a Mythos / EK43 to do some side by side tasting against flat burrs too see if my palate can taste the difference, but I reckon I will probably keep the Niche as I like single dosing.

I have also used the Niche for Cold Brew and for V60 pour overs but not a huge amount. On the brew side of things it pretty much performs as well as everything bar bag grinders or dedicated brew grinders. The only thing I don't like is making a bunch of coffees in a row with the Niche as unless you pre-weigh coffee it is pretty tedious.

* I do own a Niche and have for about 12 months, I have also owned (or used the following for a decent amount of time) Mazzer Mini E/Doser, Eureka Atom, Mazzer Super Jolly, Elektra Nino MK titan conical and Breville Smart BCG820
                        Last edited by roosterben; 3 June 2020, 07:54 PM. Reason: Fixed the incorrect burr size, thanks Caffeinator

Comment

• Caffeinator
                          Caffeinator commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Agreed Ben. It does work and is certainly a terrific little grinder. NB that the Niche uses 63mm Kony burrs though.

Must say I sometimes wonder just how many could blind taste the difference or whether for most here, it's all theoretical debate. I'd figure that there are not too many Q Grader CoffeeSnobbers.... ?

• I don't remember where exactly, but someone did a particle size analysis and concluded that the most uniform particle distribution comes from loading one single been into a grinder at a time and waiting until it has finished popcorning and has run through completely before loading the next bean. Don't think that popcorning in and of itself is such a bad thing. It mostly comes down to the design of the grinder and whether or not you are using it as designed.

Comment

Working...
                        X