Niche Zero Coffee Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Budgiesmuggler View Post
    How much did you end up paying for your grinders direct through Niche? Trying to weigh up waiting for a future release or buying retail.
    my box said Fastway, I am in Sydney

Comment

• Mine came today as well. Had a chance to make a couple coffee's, so far so good. The grind quality is leagues ahead of my Smart Grinder.

The workflow is actually pretty good, the only thing I don't really like is grinding into the cup instead of straight into the portafilter. Seems like an extra unnecessary step, not to mention I seem to be too uncoordinated to transfer the grinds without having it lopsided.

Comment

• Barry O'Speedwagon
        Barry O'Speedwagon commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a dosing funnel that sits on top of the portafilter. This allows me to empty, say, half the grinds from the cup into the portafilter and 'knock down' then repeat for remaining grinds. The dosing funnel was sort of obligatory for me though, as my machine uses a 49.5mm (or so) basket and it's a bugger finding a similarly size dosing cup.

• liamo
        liamo commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm using an HG1 blind shaker to grind into. This makes less mess from static on the benchtop because it's wider than the NZ cup and it leaves fewer grounds in the shaker because you can rattle the 'plug' to dislodge any grinds held by static.

It also has the workflow advantage for me when preparing 2 coffees, I weigh one dose into the NZ cup, pour into the NZ, weigh the next dose, and then when I'm brewing it takes out the need to get the scales out again for the second grind. Not a significant reason to change but poor workflows do my head in.

• Originally posted by Tronn View Post
      Mine came today as well. Had a chance to make a couple coffee's, so far so good. The grind quality is leagues ahead of my Smart Grinder.

The workflow is actually pretty good, the only thing I don't really like is grinding into the cup instead of straight into the portafilter. Seems like an extra unnecessary step, not to mention I seem to be too uncoordinated to transfer the grinds without having it lopsided.
      There have been a few comments on the forum about dealing with the grinding cup. There's this thread, as well as an image someone shared showing a self-made mod to grind directly into the portafilter.

I've been persevering with the supplied dosing cup and am pretty happy with my workflow. I stir the grounds with a wooden skewer, and give the cup a good shake whilst inverted in the basket. The grinds are pretty flat most of the time. I'm sure you'll work out a good way to do things, it's a bit improvement on the SGP!

Comment

• Tronn
        Tronn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the link.

Yeah I'm not dismissing the cup straight away, I've only made 3 coffee's so far (1 was straight down the drain, 2 were great) so I'm gonna give it a good month of practice and see how I go.

• roosterben
        roosterben commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with CoffeeHack a good shake with the grounds cup over the portafilter will flatten out the grounds, but I also found it annoying at first that you had an uneven mound in the portafilter.

• Budgiesmuggler
        Budgiesmuggler commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok I probably paid a bit overs but less than retail.
        Happy with that to avoid the wait.

• i'm guessing there's no way of getting your hands on a new niche at the moment in AUS? Missed the indiegogo and it all just says out of stock at the moment
      wonder if there's anyone in WA interested in letting go of theirs..

Comment

• Haydenjones
        Haydenjones commented
        Editing a comment
        Not in WA, but QLD, and if my niche ever turns up then i will very likely be looking to part ways with it - i stupidly ordered it through a local company, rather than indiegogo at the end of September, for November delivery, which got pushed to December and then 'we dont know'

so in the meantime i went ahead and purchased a eureka mignon, which i am very happy with

• Originally posted by lemoo View Post
      i'm guessing there's no way of getting your hands on a new niche at the moment in AUS?
      Pretty much, no. They haven’t had any stock released for our shores since the December batch which sold out early October from memory. Retailers get it the same way so they are all out of stock too. Mine arrived a few days ago and it’s excellent. You can taste the improvement in the cup, which surprised me. Naturally, it will depend on what you were previously using. I’m happy with the workflow, and have been single dosing for quite some time so the whole setup works for me. I got the white one, and it’s damn smart looking on the bench. Also has WAF. They do need to improve their quality control, though, as mine didn’t grind out of the box. It was way out of calibration on arrival. Even though it was set for espresso range, the burrs must have been too far apart, and it just broke the beans and then clogged the thing during its maiden voyage. I needed to pull it apart and clean it, recalibrate it. Since then it has been great. EDIT: Apologies for no paragraph spaces. I replied via an app and it removes them for some reason...

Comment

• I got a niche yesterday, bought off Facebook from someone who had ordered but no longer needed it.

can’t comment on taste do far. But seems a bit better than my mazzer major. I’ve been cup dosing for a while so loving the new workflow with the niche.

paired with the Decent.

Comment

• I personally find it annoying seeing people who used the opportunity to buy the NZ but are selling it brand new at way higher than cost price because they know stock is limited.

Comment

• Budgiesmuggler
            Budgiesmuggler commented
            Editing a comment
            How much did you pay for the NZ direct? The price i in paid was lower than what I saw retail websites selling it for.

I bought it off a young guy who wanted to get into coffee at home but then changed his mind given the time it took for the grinder to arrive. Another seller I corresponded with had bought a different grinder in the meantime and was happy with that, so I don’t think they were trying to profit from stock levels.

• Mantodea
            Mantodea commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn't looking at the time of the last release and so missed out on that opportunity. But that's good that you got a genuine price for it.

So it's 900 direct, 1200 at stores, and this one was selling at 1600.

• Originally posted by Mantodea View Post
          I personally find it annoying seeing people who used the opportunity to buy the NZ but are selling it brand new at way higher than cost price because they know stock is limited.
          It took at least a month for the last Australian stock release to sell out, so it wasn’t hard to score one if you were in the market to pick one up at the time. The US/EU releases sell much faster and in larger volumes - presumably as the are relatively ‘cheaper’ for them. Budgiesmuggler didn’t say he paid over market value - might have been a genuine offload. And the Aussie stores actually put their own premium on whatever stock numbers they are able to score.

Comment

338 commented
            Editing a comment
            The stores have a premium which also covers warranty and any guarantees under Australian Consumer Laws. The profiteers add nothing.

• Mantodea
            Mantodea commented
            Editing a comment
            I wasn't looking at the time of last release so had no idea how long it was out for, thanks for the info. Didn't meant to imply that Budgiesmuggler paid over market value, only used it to segue into that I saw some overvalued ones on marketplace for 1.6k.

Also agree with 338. you're paying a premium at stores because they bought it at the same price as anyone else would, so no wholesale discount plus having to cover warranty under ACL to which I would think could be a big hit depending on the quality of the NZ (since it's a relatively new product) if they had to take it back to the manufacturer for repairs.
        Working...
        X