Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eureka Mignon Upgrade

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eureka Mignon Upgrade

    Hi All, I'm looking for advice on upgrading from a eureka mignon. Currently this is paired with a Bezzera BZ10 however I find it slightly noisy and extremely clumpy.

    My budget is <$800. Something quieter than the mignon would be nice. Not so fussed on timed or weighted doses.

    I only drink milk based coffees.

    Cheers

    Ben.

  • #2
    G'day Ben...

    Would be very difficult to go past a Macap M2M for your purposes.
    Relatively quiet, excellent quality and lots of very happy CS owners around to offer assistance if ever required...

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Below is a pic of the grind I'm getting from the mignon, it comes out kind of in pellets. Is this normal for entry level doserless grinders? I'm leaning towards a 2018 model Macap m2m at the moment. Will this solve my problem?

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_073858.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	749832

      Comment


      • #4
        My M2M has been working for about 2 years, and has never clumped at all, no matter what beans I put through it.
        There are some good prices on the old model since the new one was released. It has stepped adjustments, but they are small steps and I have no trouble getting the right setting for a good shot.

        I mostly use a bottomless P/F and get a very good looking cone pour almost every time.
        When I don't, it's because I have been careless or lazy with my tamping. I don't need to do anything special - just settle the grinds in the basket, a light nutation, then a straight firm tamp. No stirring, no fancy leveling tools, inexpensive tamper.
        I believe it's that easy because I'm working with well ground beans.

        Comment


        • #5
          Ben, I can see why you are concerned. Not sure of the problem you are having (besides weird looking) but have you thought of trying weiss technique - swirling around with a toothpick? Or maybe doing what Niche does, grind into a cup then pour into a portafilter. Either a worth a try for a few days, much cheaper than a new grinder and costs nothing to try.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 338 View Post
            Ben, I can see why you are concerned. Not sure of the problem you are having (besides weird looking) but have you thought of trying weiss technique - swirling around with a toothpick? Or maybe doing what Niche does, grind into a cup then pour into a portafilter. Either a worth a try for a few days, much cheaper than a new grinder and costs nothing to try.
            Thanks for the response. I'm currently doing the swirl technique however would like to do away with all the messing around. Like deegee said, i'd like to just grind, levelling bump and tamp.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Silentj View Post
              Below is a pic of the grind I'm getting from the mignon, it comes out kind of in pellets. Is this normal for entry level doserless grinders? I'm leaning towards a 2018 model Macap m2m at the moment. Will this solve my problem?

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]21840[/ATTACH]
              Something doesn't look right there SJ, shouldn't be clumping like that, as a matter of interest have you given it a good clean? i.e. grind chamber, burrs and delivery chute, looks to me the grind path is somehow restricted and the ground coffee is compacting before being expelled.
              https://clivecoffee.zendesk.com/hc/e...g-Jammed-Burrs

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Something doesn't look right there SJ, shouldn't be clumping like that, as a matter of interest have you given it a good clean? i.e. grind chamber, burrs and delivery chute, looks to me the grind path is somehow restricted and the ground coffee is compacting before being expelled.
                https://clivecoffee.zendesk.com/hc/e...g-Jammed-Burrs
                TBH I haven't. However it has been doing this since day one. Thanks for the above link.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Silentj View Post
                  TBH I haven't. However it has been doing this since day one. Thanks for the above link.
                  How long have you owned the machine, was it new or second hand?

                  Even if new its not impossible that it had beans through it prior to your purchase.

                  I assume the burrs are in good condition?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I purchased brand new. I'll give it a good clean this weekend using the link provided and see how it goes.

                    THanks again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Ben.
                      Sorry I can't provide a solution to your problem.
                      Just wanted to say that I have owned a Mignon for many years now and have a very high opinion of it.
                      I use it daily and can say it has never produced anything like your pic.
                      I also have it's big brother, the Atom, only because of a severe case of upgradeitis, but have no intentions of parting with the Mignon such is the high regard I have for it.


                      Cheers
                      Mal

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Also this post from a person called Kolu in Home Barista mentions removing the bottom burr and cleaning under it, would be worth doing.

                        "most probably there is a lot of coffee under the bottom burr carrier. that means 11 or 10 mm spanner, clockwise unscrewing (I thing it is reverse thread, not sure at this moment, you have to turn the same direction as the burrs do to unscrew the nut on top) carrier removal and cleaning the space beneath."

                        As a PS Ben, there seem to be a lot of happy Mignon users out there with very few complaints, there must be a solution to your problem, judging by the regularity of size as well as the shape (almost like cubes) it looks like the ground coffee is compacting in the chute then being pushed out by whats in the grinding chamber, then the process starts over.
                        Last edited by Yelta; 11 April 2019, 06:30 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have the Mignon Specialita which is the latest version and absolutely love it, there must be something wrong with yours because my grinds certainly don't come out like that. Give it a good clean and see if any improvement, maybe you need new burrs?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Silentj View Post
                            Below is a pic of the grind I'm getting from the mignon, it comes out kind of in pellets. Is this normal for entry level doserless grinders? I'm leaning towards a 2018 model Macap m2m at the moment. Will this solve my problem?
                            It might just be the photo but that looks to be very finely ground coffee and may be the cause for the cubic compression of the grounds while they're travelling through the exit chute...

                            Perhaps try a slightly coarser grind and increase the dose a bit at a time and see how you go...

                            Mal.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Under the Eureka badge at the front is a screw. If you undo this screw you can remove the part that holds the exit chute in place: place it carefully aside, don't break the two wires to the switch. Underneath you will find a black plastic grinds guide with a crosspiece. Remove this and clean it thoroughly, making sure all the guide chambers are clear.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X