Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which baratza?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which baratza?

    Ok, just scored myself a Lelit PL41TEM and figure I should upgrade up from my trusty EM0480 grinder. Looking at the Baratza Sette 270, but I notice there is a Sette 30AP model as well which is a bit cheaper. The 270 looks great in terms of features, maybe even overkill, but I'm wondering what the functional differences between the two are? The 270 worth the higher cost?

  • #2
    Originally posted by jaythefordman View Post
    Ok, just scored myself a Lelit PL41TEM and figure I should upgrade up from my trusty EM0480 grinder. Looking at the Baratza Sette 270, but I notice there is a Sette 30AP model as well which is a bit cheaper. The 270 looks great in terms of features, maybe even overkill, but I'm wondering what the functional differences between the two are? The 270 worth the higher cost?
    Suggest a bit more research Jay, Baratza seem to have more than their share of problems.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Yelta View Post
      Suggest a bit more research Jay, Baratza seem to have more than their share of problems.
      I've read a little, thought that with the new models that they have fixed up a lot of the issues?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        Suggest a bit more research Jay, Baratza seem to have more than their share of problems.
        I read a comment somewhere that you should always buy Baratza grinders in pairs, so that you at least have one running at any given time.

        That said, they are relatively inexpensive and offer good bang for the buck. You can buy 6 or more Settes for the price of one Etzmax!

        Comment


        • #5
          The main difference between the 270 and the 30AP is that the 270 series has 9 coarse adjustment steps, but then has an additional 30 fine adjustment steps for each of the 9 coarse steps (totalling 270 possible grind settings, hence the name). The 270 series is designed for the whole espresso to manual brewing (pour overs, plunger etc) range. The 30AP only has the 30 fine adjustment steps, no coarse steps, so only 30 possible grind settings. The 30AP is apparently more suited to espresso than manual brewing but can apparently do either.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by herzog View Post
            I read a comment somewhere that you should always buy Baratza grinders in pairs, so that you at least have one running at any given time
            Better off just to buy pears I'd reckon....

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
              The main difference between the 270 and the 30AP is that the 270 series has 9 coarse adjustment steps, but then has an additional 30 fine adjustment steps for each of the 9 coarse steps (totalling 270 possible grind settings, hence the name).
              It's the other way around: 31 coarse steps (marked 31 to 1 on the upper ring with detents) and 9 positions in the fine adjustment (marked A to I on the lower ring, no detents). Assuming the total adjustment of the fine ring equals one step of the coarse ring (so for example 15, A = 14, I) there are thus 249 possible settings.

              https://www.baratza.com/wp-content/u...ette270-en.pdf
              Last edited by Lyrebird; 29 April 2019, 02:55 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jaythefordman View Post
                I've read a little, thought that with the new models that they have fixed up a lot of the issues?
                In reply to your original question, one difference is the adjustment range - well covered by level3ninja (and Lyrebird) above.

                A second major one is is that the burr holder/adjustment assembly of the AP30 is mostly plastic, and the 270 is mostly metal.

                I had a Bararza Preciso for a while. It had plastic burr holders which were prone to breaking. It had micro adjustments too, which were useless, because the entire assembly was plastic, and rather flimsy. The flexing, and wearing of the plastic parts, required frequent re-calibration until it eventually ran out of adjustment.

                They may have learned from this, because the Preciso was dropped from their range. However, I would not buy an AP30 without a long hard look at the burr carrier/housing assembly to ensure that it is solid and strong. There's nothing wrong with plastic if it's well made, and up to the task.

                Baratza do make most of their grinders to a price point, and seem to expect that users will be prepared for some DIY repairs, or to send them back to the factory from time to time.

                It's also obvious from their track record that they use the buyers of new models as beta testers. If I was tempted to buy another Baratza I would not do so until that model had been on the market for a couple of years and all the initial design/build problems had been sorted out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok, thanks for the replies. If not the Sette, what other options am I worth looking at? bear in mind I prefer to keep a handle on costs?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yep got the fine and coarse arse about.

                    Jay what's your budget? We can only guess how big a handle is.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Forget the Baratza, seems like they just aren't made to last. Look at the Eureka Mignon range, only a little bit more in cost, but much better all round.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                        Yep got the fine and coarse arse about.

                        Jay what's your budget? We can only guess how big a handle is.
                        Ah, look, originally <500, but I am now giving me some wiggle room

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi Jay, around $500, Macap m2m best bang for buck grinder. IMO. Chippy

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Macap M2M or M2D, Compak K3 Push or K3 Touch will be under or close to budget. Settle 270Wi has had good reports so far, haven't heard the same problems with it as with the 270W. Mahlkoenig Vario is a bit above budget but is great bang for buck.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi Jay.
                              If you are open to buying a used machine ("near new"), check out this one in the Coffee Hardware for Sale section:
                              https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-hardware-sale/51782-eureka-mignon-coffee-grinder-near-new-330-a.html
                              IMO, this machine is being offered at a fantastic price and is well within your budget.
                              I have owned one for many years, they are great "bang for buck" machine and should be a good match up for your Lelit.
                              Cheers
                              Mal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X