Best filter HAND grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best filter HAND grinder

What's the best hand grinder for filter coffee from your experience??

Originally posted by Vittorio View Post
    What's the best hand grinder for filter coffee from your experience??
    The Lido I used to have was amazing for clarity of flavour. They’re not the most convenient for travel, but if you’re looking for grind quality they’re good value. There are some new kids on the block that are probably as good but I don’t have any personal experience. If money is no barrier then you could also look at - Apollo, Kinu47 and Hiku.

Comment

james hoffman has two videos extensively reviewing hand grinders.

cheapies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEBfom0mhM

goodies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9OuRl1F3k

Comment

I have leroyc old lido E, and can vouch for its greatness. I added a millimetre scale to it for ease of repeatability and adjustment finesse. I feel the scale allows me to grind for aeropress, then return to espresso grind easily.
        However, I use the porlex mini when away at work. It holds my 18g dose easily, and fits in the back of my aeropress, so very compact.
        If size/price is no issue, lido. If travelling and budgeting- porlex mini. Imo..

Comment

What’s your budget?

Comment

I would consider something for not more than $150/200

thanks guys!

Comment

Try Porlex or Hario, they have quality products that fit that range. There is also a non-branded grinder with steel burrs that is in budget. Any of these would be consistently great for filter.
              The only issue could be grinding time, but for a standard 15g filter, it would not be a concern.

Comment

The non branded (hand) grinder with steel burrs is the Precision Hand Grinder. At $100 I reckon its good value for money. I have one as a expendable travel grinder so that I don't have to worry about losing my favourite.

Comment

Stretch the budget and use the discount code that the site sponsor has (check out coffeeparts in sponsor section) and pick up a Lido ET for $245 not much ‘travel’ like in size but I have a Lido E (non folding handle version) and really like it. Big and more aggressive burrs mean better result (my opinion) and faster grind time
                  http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/lido-3-hand-grinder

May be had cheaper if you know where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Vittorio View Post
                    I would consider something for not more than $150/200

thanks guys!
                    Jump onto site sponsors websites and have a look. The two with the biggest ranges of hand grinders are Alternative Brewing and Coffee Parts. If you can get a Lido 3 on sale for just over $200 I’d highly recommend it. Otherwise the Precision Hand Grinder that ‘Otago’ mentioned is amazing value at $100. I’ve got one and I’m stoked with it. It’s capacity is a little on the small side, but that’s the only real negative. Don’t get a Hario or Porlex they are absolute crap compared to the Precision Hand Grinder and not all that much cheaper. An extra $30-40 for steel burrs and a much better design is well worth it. I’m not sure if any site sponsors are selling it. Talk Coffee in Melbourne have had them, but that’s all I know of.

Comment

Agree that the ceramic burr grinders eg. Porlex and Hario are pretty bad. There are lots of positive reviews about them online, but that’s because most reviews lack useful context, so you get no sense of how good they are. They’re probably better than preground; that much is true. Spending a little more for something with burrs that are sharp and held securely instead of smooth ceramic that rocks around is probably well worth it; spending $60-$90 on a ceramic burr thing that you then feel you have to upgrade strikes me as false economy.

I’ve got a comandante, for what it’s worth. Grind quality seems great; I haven’t done much real analysis with it, but it’s perhaps feasible that it’s even in the realm of stock EK43. Bad points: I’m not so sure about the adjustment range; there is a spindle with tighter thread pitch you can buy, but that’s an extra $70. The body is also fairly fat, which makes it uncomfortable to hold for longer grinding sessions.

There’s a unibody aluminium grinder ... forget the name ... that looks fantastic. There’s so little play in the shaft; it’s amazing. But I think it just uses italmill burrs, so I don’t know how great the grind quality will be.

Comment

Originally posted by luca View Post
                        There’s a unibody aluminium grinder ... forget the name ...
                        Would that be the Helor?

Comment

Originally posted by Otago View Post
                          Would that be the Helor?
                          Feldgrind?

Comment

Originally posted by Otago View Post
                            The non branded (hand) grinder with steel burrs is the Precision Hand Grinder. At $100 I reckon its good value for money. I have one as a expendable travel grinder so that I don't have to worry about losing my favourite.
                            Is this the handground precision grinder with the side mounted handle?
                            I think you are talking about the woodgrain one... I can't find any utube clips, or other guides/reviews on it...
                            Any links?

Comment

Best filter HAND grinder

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                              Is this the handground precision grinder with the side mounted handle?
                              I think you are talking about the woodgrain one... I can't find any utube clips, or other guides/reviews on it...
                              Any links?
                              No. The ‘Precision Hand Grinder’ is just a small travel grinder, completely different to the Handground. No site sponsors currently sell it so it’s not possible to provide a link. A former site sponsor is selling the wood grain version for $99. Not too hard to find if you go have a little look around the interweb.

Comment

Working...
                              X