Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinder under $600

Hi all

So I'm about to upgrade my grinder finally and am just wondering what everyone's recommendations would be, I don't mine new or second hand.

The grinder I'm quite keen on is the baratza 270wi but was just curious if anyone had any other suggestions.

Will be used with nuova simoneli oscar

The Eureka Mignon range might be worth exploring.
    I haven't got one yet and am looking at a Silenzio or Specialita which are a bit out of the price range.
    But most models seem to be well made and reasonably suitable for single dosing.

Comment

They don't come up for sale used very often, but if you can find a Mahlkoenig Vario gen 2 or gen 3 (not the Baratza Vario) it will beat anything in the price range. They're about $700 new but I bought one for my brother in law that was only a few months old for $600 last year. Find one that's a couple of years old or more and you might get it for under $500.

Comment

I sold a Mahlkonig Vario and Macap m4d.
        The vario is a killer grinder full stop regardless of price. Low retention and footprint.

Currently using a Ceado e37 but it’s bigger and faster.

Comment

Just curious what's the difference between the mahlkonig vario and the baratza vario ?

Comment

I was looking at Baratza Sette 270Wi because of low retention but was too scared by horror stories.
            Didn't have enough patience to score used Mahlkoenig Vario gen2 or gen3...

Ended up with ex-demo Eureka Mignon Specialita. Easy to use. My only complain is portafilter "holder"... I wouldn't mind if they come up with less flimsy fork.

Comment

Also the big factor I like with the 270wi is the weighted grinding, as I don't own a super accurate scale it would save me the invest in them aswell.

Or I've found a good working condition mazzer mini electronic for $400 and with the left over cash get a good set of scales
              Last edited by Howze; 2 July 2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howze View Post
                Also the big factor I like with the 270wi is the weighted grinding, as I don't own a super accurate scale it would save me the invest in them aswell.
                A scale good enough to brew coffee with is approx. $30 and is handy to weigh the yield as well as the dose

Comment

i just typed in "1kg 0.1g scales" into ebay and the first ten listings are under $12 with free postage.

Comment

Originally posted by Howze View Post
                    Just curious what's the difference between the mahlkonig vario and the baratza vario ?
                    Lots. TampIt is the man to describe it in detail, but it’s essentially a difference in build quality- different burrs, lower grade parts etc. It all adds up to a less robust grinder that doesn’t give as good a result. From Baratza the Sette range and the Forte are the best options.

Comment

I'm in the market for a grinder in the same price bracket - the 270wi is quick, however as you've mentioned there is reports of longevity issues (take from that what you will). Other options in the price range that might be worth investigating (seem to come up used semi-regularly within your price range) are - Eureka Mignon, Macap M2M, Compak K3

Comment

I was going to suggest a Macap M2M.
                        I have had mine paired with a Unico Splendor and Europiccola for the last three years, or so, and it really is a cracking little grinder.
                        I am planning to upgrade in a couple of months, if not before, and I will be hanging on to mine.

Comment

I ended up going with the mahlkonig vario, should hopefully be here in the next week or so

Comment

If I were in the market for a new grinder at under $600 would look seriously at the Compak K3 touch, 58 mm burrs, stepless adjustment, built to last, proven track record.
                            https://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/sto...e_Grinder.html

Comment

Originally posted by jonuk
                              Is it actually worth paying 600 usd for a grinder? are they much better than what I could get for 100usd?
                              Depends on what you get, but you're not likely to find top quality in the $100USD range.

Also, keep in mind we are an AU based site and the figures being spoken are AUD not USD.

Comment

Working...
                              X