Help needed - 20 years of grinds in La Cimbali MD6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed - 20 years of grinds in La Cimbali MD6

I recently got hold of a La Cimbali MD6 grinder from a closed cafe. Although it is working, it has not been serviced in at least 10 years. In short, it needs a good clean (and probable burr replacement). The grind selector was stuck which indicated a lot of bound muck. After a bit of elbow grease I managed to remove the top brass burr holder. OMG - there was so much caked on grinds (even starting to oxidize the brass). I managed to get the top fixed burr off (after removing a stack of caked on grinds) and discovered a colony of mites or insects living under the burr. I suspect there may have been a few insects parts served with the coffee! I also finally managed to get the lower moving burr off however i need to get the brass holder off as I suspect there is a lot of crud under it. Trouble is, not quite sure how to do it. There is a central black plastic knob. I suspect I need to detach the burr holder from the motor axle but have no idea how. With brass being a brittle metal I don't want to force anything so am hoping some experts can help out. I also want to remove the grinds hopper and give a good wash in soapy water as it is filthy. But how does one do this in minimal steps?

Also, stupid question, but what is the black projection that sticks out above where the portafilter used for?
    Oh, and when I take the top off the grinds hopper, there looks like a screw hole but no screw. Should there be one for some reason?

Thanks

Worked out the black projection is a tamper. The bottom portion is broken off so I didn't recognise it as such.
    Replacement burrs - $600. What!!!! Think I'll wait a bit on that one. They're not razor sharp but not dull either so should be some life left in them.

Comment

Welcome mate...

Pretty sure you can get them for a lot less than $600...
      https://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/...mbali-md6.html

Mal.

Comment

I use a "double water trapped" compressed airline (full sized compressor) at 40 psi for all such issues. It may be your best friend...

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          Welcome mate...

Pretty sure you can get them for a lot less than $600...
          https://coffeesnobs.com.au/grinders/...mbali-md6.html

Mal.
          Thanks for the welcome.
          Well that was the price listed at Coffeeparts as a special order. Are there any other parts suppliers in OZ besides Coffeeparts. These are the guys I have used before and the prices didn't seem that bad back then.
          Thanks for the link. Problem is, there is a big black ball on top of the shaft that prevents slipping a socket over. As it stands I can't get to the centre nut. I have a photo but it seems I can only link to photos on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by TampIt View Post
            I use a "double water trapped" compressed airline (full sized compressor) at 40 psi for all such issues. It may be your best friend...
            If I can get the parts out it might to the trick. To date I've been levering chunks out the a screw driver and chisel.

Comment

Originally posted by ekrabappel View Post
              If I can get the parts out it might to the trick. To date I've been levering chunks out the a screw driver and chisel.
              You'll leave less marks with something a little softer like a bamboo skewer.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.
                Well that was the price listed at Coffeeparts as a special order. Are there any other parts suppliers in OZ besides Coffeeparts. These are the guys I have used before and the prices didn't seem that bad back then.
                Thanks for the link. Problem is, there is a big black ball on top of the shaft that prevents slipping a socket over. As it stands I can't get to the centre nut. I have a photo but it seems I can only link to photos on the web.
                Yep, Coffee Parts are excellent to deal with but I did find a couple of other places that listed the burr-sets for a similar or slightly higher price than that listed in the thread I linked to. Google is your best friend in these situations.

You only need one more post and then you'll be able to upload and include photos...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                  Yep, Coffee Parts are excellent to deal with but I did find a couple of other places that listed the burr-sets for a similar or slightly higher price than that listed in the thread I linked to. Google is your best friend in these situations.

You only need one more post and then you'll be able to upload and include photos...
                  Will do. I've noticed a few posts relating to the use of Mazzer burrs in place of Cimbali but I've yet to find a post to confirm this can be done without problems.

Ah... that explains it. I'll upload some pics soon. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                    You'll leave less marks with something a little softer like a bamboo skewer.
                    Good point although a bamboo skewer might be a tad soft for this congealed gunk. A thicker bamboo spatula or the like would be good.

Comment

Hmmm... looks like I'm still stuck with posting image URLs. Bugger.

Comment

Hmmm... looks like I'm still stuck with posting image URLs. Bugger.
                        Hmmm...

Used to be that only five posts were required; might be ten now?

Mal.

Comment

Or he's not going about it in the right way.

Java "Picture what?" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
                            Or he's not going about it in the right way.

Java "Picture what?" phile
                            Yeah, there is that...

Mal.

Comment

Just putting it out there, but I’m not sure plowing good money into this machine is a great idea. Based on your description, it sounds pretty clapped out.

Unless you’re wedded to the idea of doing it as a restoration project, throwing 600 bucks at it would probably be throwing good money after bad.

That money would go a long way towards a quality new or lightly used grinder that will give you many years of service.

Comment

Working...
                              X