What Grinder Budget Up To $2,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Grinder Budget Up To $2,000

Had a chat with the MfF and Home Affairs, and have agreement that if I have spent $2,600;on a machine that will last 10+ years, why not invest in an excellent grinder that will last us as long, and be as reliable.

scope:

Budget: $2000 (don’t have to spend it all)

Not Negotiables
    • Available in Australia
    • demonstrated long service life
    • service easily available in Australia
    • small (500g) hopper available
    • minimal residual retained grinds
    • doserless

Nice to haves
    • Timed dosing
    • Medium footprint
    • up to 450mm tall with small hopper
    • minimal mess
    • dose to a cup or a p/f
    • single dosing

Any other things I’ve forgotten

Conventional grinder will always retain some grinds. At <$2k- Eureka Atom variants for speed, silence and ease of cleaning.

Happy to weigh and dose your own? No brainer. Niche Zero ticks all your boxes other than the timer box.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
      Conventional grinder will always retain some grinds. At <$2k- Eureka Atom variants for speed, silence and ease of cleaning.

Happy to weigh and dose your own? No brainer. Niche Zero ticks all your boxes other than the timer box.
      As above, had a M4D, was looking at the Atom then found out about the Niche. I personally don’t think that you can go wrong with either of the suggestions it comes down to what is more important. Of course the Niche hasn’t been around long enough to answer the reliability question

Comment

The Eureka Fillet Mignon is good.

The Madcap M4D.

The Mazzer Mini E.

There is a lot really. I have Mazzer Robur I love but it is big. Bigger burrs are great but you need room in your kitchen. Grinders with doses are still quite popular too.

Most grinders except cafe grinders are flat burr but the Niche Zero has conical Kony burrs. Conical are very easy to dial in and consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post
          Thanks!
          The Atom 65 looks good. Has a “blow up” system for minimising retention (implemented by pushing on the hopper lid which acts as a sort of bellows to clear the burrs of unground beans and grinds). Eureka Video also suggests single dosing is possible. Has 65 mm burrs, otherwise same as Atom AFAIK.

Comment

definitely the niche, and you come in nicely under budget. f-all retention, compact, designed for single dosing, easy to adjust. don’t have to purge between different coffees. I don’t even check the weight of my ground dose anymore. you can pull long shots without bitterness or astringency. it’s actually such a fantastic grinder. it may look a little like a toy, and granted it’s new, but it is built solidly. highly recommend.

Comment

I would also support the recommendations above, to buy a Niche grinder.
              Definitely the one I would buy if I didn't already have a Kony-E...

Mal.

Comment

SCODY 2 hits your requirements and is bombproof for reliability.

Comes with a big hopper, but a smaller 500g one is available.

Has a nice feature where you can pause the preset timed grind halfway through, allowing you to settle the grounds in the portafilter before finishing the dose.

Comment

Niche

Quiet, easy to use, easy to adjust, little/ no grind retention, consistent, great grind quality, small, looks great and did I say QUIET.

Pre weigh a few days shots into small plastic containers - so easy. X gms in = X gms out.

No contest!

Comment

I can speak for the Eureka Zenith as it does most of what you are after. Ive never been more happy with a a grinder and its made up to now a huge impact on the rest of my coffee.that said though from what i'm reading on here i should start looking into a Niche Grinder... I dont want to change the subject but can someone let me know if the Niche would be a upgrade from the Eureka?

good luck with finding what you want and also great that you are looking to spend time looking for a decent grinder as i think this is something that many fail to see when looking at a new Coffee machine.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by flashpixx View Post
                      • Available in Australia
                      • demonstrated long service life
                      • service easily available in Australia
                      • small (500g) hopper available
                      • minimal residual retained grinds
                      • doserless
                      I don’t believe there’s a grinder available that ticks all of your boxes so you need to decide what’s most important. If we look at your ‘must haves’ above the only grinders I can think of that will go close to meeting these requirements are the Eureka Atom and the Macap M4D. If you go up to the Eureka Zenith you definitely get a better grinder that is probably still small enough with a short hopper, but retention is a lot higher.
                      Lots of people have recommended the Niche Zero and I’d agree that it’s probably a good option. It doesn’t have a proven long service life, but it has had some serious in-depth testing done on it over the last few years during development by people that know what they’re talking about so I think it’s worth considering.

Comment

I have had exactly 12months (to the day) user experience with a Niche since it's delivery, purchased via the crowd funding at discount, Happy Birthday!. Prior to that single dosing on a Mazzer mini-e - which I still have and have not used since the Niche arrival, zero chance of buyers bias. Still love using the Niche, switch beans and switch back again multiple times, no problem, 4.00am espresso during noise curfew, no problem. A single dosers friend in so many ways. It has been doing a minimum of four, 20g (home roasted beans) grinds per day. I have cleaned the Niche four times in it's first year. No complaints, at all, yet, other users of this Niche, have been, and are, also very impressed.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and thoughts.

I do have a grinder now that I bought as part of a package with the ECM Mechanika, so no thought went into it - took the dealers recommendation.

I do occasionally grind 150g of beans for the wife for her filter coffee at work, so just having a Niche might mean 4 or 5 doses.

The Eureka Atom 65 is definitely on the shortlist as it does "appear" to purge retained grinds, has timed dosing that seems accurate to within 0.2 g in a 20 g dose. It's also not too big, and it comes from a company thats been building grinders for a long time.

The Niche certainly does get a great review, and it's starting to build a good reputation now that it's been around for a little while.

I do like the design and output methodology of the Baratza Sette 270Wi. Simon is single handedly driving the reputation of this grinder!!

Comment

Originally posted by flashpixx View Post
                            Thanks everyone for your recommendations and thoughts.

I do have a grinder now that I bought as part of a package with the ECM Mechanika, so no thought went into it - took the dealers recommendation.

I do occasionally grind 150g of beans for the wife for her filter coffee at work, so just having a Niche might mean 4 or 5 doses.

The Eureka Atom 65 is definitely on the shortlist as it does "appear" to purge retained grinds, has timed dosing that seems accurate to within 0.2 g in a 20 g dose. It's also not too big, and it comes from a company thats been building grinders for a long time.

The Niche certainly does get a great review, and it's starting to build a good reputation now that it's been around for a little while.

I do like the design and output methodology of the Baratza Sette 270Wi. Simon is single handedly driving the reputation of this grinder!!
                            Would you consider getting two grinders? Your budget would allow you to get a good espresso grinder like a Niche Zero, Eureka Atom or Mahlkönig Vario for yourself and a Baratza 30AP for your wife’s filter.
                            The Baratza 270wi is probably the best option available at the moment that will do a good job of both espresso and filter and ticks quite a lot of your boxes, but it’s got question marks over its longevity and it’s generally considered to be not quite as good a pure espresso grinder as the ones I’ve mentioned above for example.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                              Would you consider getting two grinders
                              I will likely keep the current grinder. It does a good job of the filter coffee grind. Leave it set for filter and she can do some beans when she needs them.

That leaves me with the Atom, Niche, or something else I’ve not considered in that price/performance range to choose between.

Comment

Working...
                              X