Eureka Atom Specialty 65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Atom Specialty 65

Nice man from TNT delivered my new grinder just now. He actually tried to deliver yesterday (3 days ex Sydney to Perth!!!).

I purchased the grinder from DiPacci in Sydney, dealt with the Director Michael who could not have been more helpful.

Not sure if I'm breaching forum rules by plugging a non site sponsor?

I was, and still am today in awe of the service, the follow up and the support Michael has provided. I was a brand new customer this time last week, now I'm a rusted on fan. Wouldn't it be great if all sellers of goods and services of any description understood customer relations!

Until I get the chance to unpack and set up my new baby, here's a pic of the box

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eureka Grinder In Box-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	763326

Looking forward to hearing about your Specialita 65 experiences.

What colour did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by matth3wh View Post
      What colour did you get?
      Thanks Matthew

Black, it was black or black when I ordered, so I chose... black

Cant wait to set it up

Comment

Originally posted by flashpixx View Post
        Nice man from TNT delivered my new grinder just now. He actually tried to deliver yesterday (3 days ex Sydney to Perth!!!).

I purchased the grinder from DiPacci in Sydney, dealt with the Director Michael who could not have been more helpful.

Not sure if I'm breaching forum rules by plugging a non site sponsor?

I was, and still am today in awe of the service, the follow up and the support Michael has provided. I was a brand new customer this time last week, now I'm a rusted on fan. Wouldn't it be great if all sellers of goods and services of any description understood customer relations!

Until I get the chance to unpack and set up my new baby, here's a pic of the box

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23748[/ATTACH]

I bought one too from the same vendor. Superb experience too. You’ll love the grinder too..

Comment

Originally posted by Gabster View Post
          I bought one too from the same vendor. Superb experience too. You’ll love the grinder too..
          Awesome wondering how to fit my Tiamo cup under the chute. Looks like it’s designed for a pf only. Have to make up a mount for it, looks to be quite simple.

Comment

Setting Up
            Out of the box and on the bench today. Opened it up to have a look at the lovely 65mm flat burrs.
            Zeroed the grind dial (just back from the burrs very lightly touching) and placed a small dot at that point on the grinder body adjacent to the 0 on the dial as a permanent reference point for the graduations on the adjustment dial.
            Set about setting the timer initially to deliver 21g of ground coffee. At the speed this thing delivers grinds the 0.05sec adjustments are quite handy. Set at 9.35 sec for 21g.
            Then adjusted the grind to deliver 34g of espresso from my 21g in 27 - 30 seconds.
            As I was about 1 full graduation too fine initially I needed to go a bit coarser.
            This adjustment has a flow on in terms of grind time, the grinder delivered more weight in grinds at the coarser setting.
            Another gotcha with the grinder is the “bedding in” or whatever it is of the burrs. The first 10 grinds or so are of no use for setting time/weight as the adjustments aren’t linear until this bedding in process is complete.
            This isn’t mentioned in the manual but would be a useful addition.
            You do need at least 750g of coffee to set up the grinder as you may waste 300g or so just bedding it in, or if you are like me and go blindly on adjusting, while the burrs are bedding in, you will go through a lot more.
            lets just say I’ve run out of beans, and I thought I had plenty....

Other observations

did I say it was fast.... currently 2.25g / sec
            very very VERY quiet.... shhhh
            I can sit my Tiamo cup on the p/f fork albeit a bit wobbly. A simple job to broaden the prongs a bit to hold the cup steady. To start grinding you need to press a button which would be directly behind the p/f when placed on the fork. There is plenty of room for me to press the button with my finger while the cup is there.
            The screen is bright and easy to read, buttons are intuitive. I haven’t had to resort to RTFM as yet...

Next step is to fine tune the dose (once I get some more beans) then on to taste testing.

To Be Continued......

Comment

I wouldn't worry about bedding in of burrs in the sense it is part of the process of dialling in a grind. While bedding in it might move slightly to requiring a finer setting. Burrs these days are machined quite well by robot.

Even my Robur, there may have been a bedding in process but it wasn't an issue day to day, I just used it normally.

Comment

It sounds like your initial adjustment issues are similar to mine on the 60mm. Mine were due to retention, which you should have less of with the larger burrs. But I went through close to 2kg chasing my tail. Once I figured out the retention and that the level of beans in the hopper changed things as well I had it dialled in in under 200g. Thought I had it all figured out then a couple of kg later the burrs must have seasoned because the grind setting I needed shifted and stayed there.

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                  It sounds like your initial adjustment issues are similar to mine on the 60mm. Mine were due to retention, which you should have less of with the larger burrs.
                  I never found retention in a Robur ever affected pour times. They are 71mm conical burrs equivalent to much bigger flat burrs.

Now I can accept contention regarding retention on flavour but I have never noticed a difference.

Hopper levels affecting pour times could be significant although it would depend on the grinder.

Retention will always increase with bigger burrs all else being equal.

Grinders are such simple things in theory but each one will be different.

Comment

Originally posted by wattgn View Post
                    I never found retention in a Robur ever affected pour times. They are 71mm conical burrs equivalent to much bigger flat burrs.

Now I can accept contention regarding retention on flavour but I have never noticed a difference.

Hopper levels affecting pour times could be significant although it would depend on the grinder.

Retention will always increase with bigger burrs all else being equal.

Grinders are such simple things in theory but each one will be different.
                    Do you just see the word grinder and feel the need to talk about both your Robur and all grinders being different? You're talking out your arse again because this is a thread specifically about experiences with the Atom 65, and not only that but you're dead wrong about increased retention in this instance. In this case the standard Atom with 60mm burrs has more retention because the grinding chamber is identical but the 65mm burrs take up more of it and leave less room for retention.

Comment

Don't hold back 'ninja...

Mal.

Comment

. In this case the standard Atom with 60mm burrs has more retention because the grinding chamber is identical but the 65mm burrs take up more of it and leave less room for retention.
                        Which is why I considered the 65 over the 60. Initial retention assessment is around 2g after emptying the hopper through the burrs. If I leave the manual button on for the full 60 seconds grinds will continue to fall out even after the grind Chamber is empty.

Comment

Do you just see the word grinder and feel the need to talk about both your Robur and all grinders being different? You're talking out your arse again because this is a thread specifically about experiences with the Atom 65, and not only that but you're dead wrong about increased retention in this instance. In this case the standard Atom with 60mm burrs has more retention because the grinding chamber is identical but the 65mm burrs take up more of it and leave less room for retention.
                          I think on grind retention and hopper level neither are much important for most grinder and neither is bedding in. I have had grinders other than a Robur...been a member here since 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by wattgn View Post
                            I think on grind retention and hopper level neither are much important for most grinder and neither is bedding in. I have had grinders other than a Robur...been a member here since 2005.
                            Hopper level isn’t an issue in this case unless you are relying on the grinder delivering a consistent weight in a fixed time. A hopper with 100g or more of beans delivers more grinds than a hopper with 50g of beans or less over the same timeframe.

As for bedding in, I’m not sure what was happening as I’ve not experienced it before, but for the same grind setting and time, with the hopper full, for the first 500g of beans at least, there was a stark difference in grind volume over at least 15 grinds.

Mine has settled down now, but I’ve put at least 1.5kg of beans through it. It now consistently delivers 21g over 8.75 sec

As someone said, truth is always stranger than fiction!! (Or I made it up )

Comment

Originally posted by flashpixx View Post
                              Hopper level isn’t an issue in this case unless you are relying on the grinder delivering a consistent weight in a fixed time. A hopper with 100g or more of beans delivers more grinds than a hopper with 50g of beans or less over the same timeframe.

As for bedding in, I’m not sure what was happening as I’ve not experienced it before, but for the same grind setting and time, with the hopper full, for the first 500g of beans at least, there was a stark difference in grind volume over at least 15 grinds.

Mine has settled down now, but I’ve put at least 1.5kg of beans through it. It now consistently delivers 21g over 8.75 sec

As someone said, truth is always stranger than fiction!! (Or I made it up )
                              I had the Macap M4D and I think hopper level did have some effect with that but as you say volume in a fixed time is the issue. I keep the level the same most of the time and so the grind time is much the same. You can also dose manually. It is a fast grinder.

Bedding in is a real thing but there aren't many people who won't be making coffee while it is happening so it is just another variable to start with.

Comment

Working...
                              X