Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah sounds about what mine did

Comment

After putting about 5kg of beans through the Atom 65 since purchasing it pulled it down today and did a full clean.
      Total retention was 3.5g.
      About 0.8g of that was in the small outlet between the burr chamber and the chute. So that 0.8g would be exchanged each time the grinder is used.
      There was about 0.2g stuck in the burrs.
      The the grind chamber retained 2.5g sitting between the bottom burr and grind chamber wall.
      As can be seen the chute has no retained grinds at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11995033-13CF-4AFE-8C4D-A0A5207B5F6B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	924.6 KB
ID:	750976Click image for larger version

Name:	EE7D791D-E088-43D3-B203-34CD030EBBB9.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	929.6 KB
ID:	750977

Comment

Hi Flashpixx. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the atom 65. I also purchased the same grinder a bit over a month ago. It is a fantastic upgrade from my breville smart grinder, both in terms of taste, and enjoyment of use.

What are your experiences with the composition of the ground coffee? The one issue I have with my grinder is that I get a bit of clumping... clumps are typically around 3mm, and and quite resilient to being broken down (far more so than clumps from my breville). These clumps don’t make any observable impact on a tamped bed of grounds, but they do make it a bit difficult to distribute the grounds pre-tamp. On the other hand, if I’m grinding slightly coarser than espresso, the grounds are wonderfully fluffy. Issue seems to be present for both light and medium roasts. I’m not actually sure whether or not this impacts the final quality of my espresso, but it certainly does annoy me!

Comment

Originally posted by LiamCollopy View Post
          Hi Flashpixx. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the atom 65. I also purchased the same grinder a bit over a month ago. It is a fantastic upgrade from my breville smart grinder, both in terms of taste, and enjoyment of use.

What are your experiences with the composition of the ground coffee? The one issue I have with my grinder is that I get a bit of clumping... clumps are typically around 3mm, and and quite resilient to being broken down (far more so than clumps from my breville). These clumps don’t make any observable impact on a tamped bed of grounds, but they do make it a bit difficult to distribute the grounds pre-tamp. On the other hand, if I’m grinding slightly coarser than espresso, the grounds are wonderfully fluffy. Issue seems to be present for both light and medium roasts. I’m not actually sure whether or not this impacts the final quality of my espresso, but it certainly does annoy me!

Hi LiamCollopy welcome to the forum! Thanks for the question. Yes it certainly is a great grinder.
          As for clumping, I've not noticed any change in grind quality since owning it, other than one bean that I don't use any longer was "oily".
          I'm using a Snobbery Bean currently the Espresso Organic and another local dark roast bean from Bolt Coffee Roastery.
          My workflow may be different to yours - grind into a ss cup invert into the pf, level with my finger, spinny thingo to distribute, and tamp.
          I wouldn't say the grind is clumping...

Comment

Most likely down to the beans...
            Anything a bit more oily than usual has the propensity to result in clumps of more coherence.

Mal.

Comment

Some beans do clump a bit more than others, but they all do it to some extent... beans from Industry beans, Monastary, Boston Bean, blends / single origins. The only time I dont see clumps is when my grind is a little too coarse (with shot times around 24s or below).

Ive uploaded a couple of pics below... is this similar to what you see Flashpixx?

https://imgur.com/o1s8t3X
              https://imgur.com/K2ttm2M

Comment

The ACE system on the Atom should force clumps through the fitting and break up clumps and then they fall down a long but steep chute. On the Mignon Specialita I can see small clumps that have been broken up so they distribute well. You really can't get big clumps with these grinders.

Comment

I finally got the Atom 60 and it seems most of the same behaviours occur with the 65 too. It is all good though.

I had it block once after a big change to the grind setting which was an annoyance but I am impressed with how it all comes apart for cleaning. A few screws but nothing that is a problem. I have had the grinder for a few weeks now and have put through about 1.2 kg. I also got the VST 15g basket. I changed the way I do things in order to quantify what I am doing on the new grinder better.

Pesado dosing cup. Remove PF and dose into it and then use dosing cup to seal around portafilter and shake once or twice then use a distribution tool to level the tamp. I weigh to 15g.

Yes it is a bit of a dance on timed dosers to get even dosing. I fill the hopper to the top of the cone and I am down to two shots per day. If I have more, I don't sleep well.

I bought the 60 as it was $400 cheaper than the 65 and I am pleased so far. Quiet and nice controls. Grind is probably the same as the Mignon Specialita I had but the build is somewhat better in the hopper and the PF. I also like the controls better.

Comment

Hi everyone - I found this thread while googling clumping for the Atom 65 and after reading through all the comments it seemed like this was a very knowledgable group that could help with some of my issues.

So....I have a Rocket Appartamento and I recently upgraded from a Baratza Sette 270 to the Eureka Atom 65. My initial thoughts on the Atom 65 are, well, I hate it. It took me about 2 lb of beans (thankfully junky beans) to get it in the range for pulling a decent shot. I kept making adjustments to go finer too quickly which would then stop up the grinder and I would have to go coarser and then slowly finer while the grinder was running. Even once I got it 'dialed in' it seems like I am always chasing a grind. I've been using the same beans for at least 12 shots at this point with the exact same weight and general puck prep process and the shots are all over the place. Some yield 10g in 40 seconds, while others yield 40 grams in 20 seconds.

With the kind of rave reviews this grinder gets I was expecting to absolutely love it, but the reality is I'm producing worse shots and lattes now than when I had the Sette 270. The one thing I will caveat all this with is that I have an inkling that my Appartamento is running above the 9 bars of standard pressure. I'm waiting for a pressure gauge to confirm that and adjust the opv on the machine, but it never seemed to really be that much of an issue when pulling shots ground on the Sette.

I know that was a lot, and its most likely hard to diagnose an issue without seeing the problem but any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. I just feel like after spending USD$1,100 on the Atom 65 my espresso shots should be better and more consistent, and they arent.

Thank you!

Comment

Nalmog, not sure if this will help you but a member here, Level3Ninja, has suggested that it takes 3 shots at least for the grind change to stabilise on the Atom 60. Ie the first shot after a change still has some of the prior grind level, etc. I have a Atom 60 and think Level3Ninja was accurate, I always let any change settle in before making a second adjustment. That said I find I don't have to adjust that often.

Comment

Yeah took me over 2kg on the Atom 60 to get a good shot purely because I was chasing my tail. The shot would run too fast, so I'd adjust it finer. The next shot would run slower but still too fast. So if adjust it finer again. The next shot was pretty good but a touch too slow, so I'd adjust it coarser. The next shot was much too slow, so I'd adjust it coarser. The next shot was still a bit slow so I'd adjust it coarser. The next shot was a bit too fast... and on and on.

Your puck prep may also need to change. What are you doing between grinding and tamping?

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                          Yeah took me over 2kg on the Atom 60 to get a good shot purely because I was chasing my tail. The shot would run too fast, so I'd adjust it finer. The next shot would run slower but still too fast. So if adjust it finer again. The next shot was pretty good but a touch too slow, so I'd adjust it coarser. The next shot was much too slow, so I'd adjust it coarser. The next shot was still a bit slow so I'd adjust it coarser. The next shot was a bit too fast... and on and on.

Your puck prep may also need to change. What are you doing between grinding and tamping?
                          Appreciate the responses. The chase you described is definitely reminiscent of my experience right now as well. I’m going to try your advice and pull several shots at the same grind before making an adjustment.

I’m using a Saint Anthony Industries distribution tool and tamper for puck prep. If I see there is excessive clumping I’ll break up the clumps with a WDT tool.

Comment

I guess if you have suspicions about high pressure on the Appartmento then tackle that first.

I would hope you are single dosing too, at least for the time being. Changing grind will change the dosing weight. Honestly I am beginning to think it is a waste of time to use timed dosing. it might be great for a cafe where you are running the grinder all day over dozens of shots and you can just check it now and then. For home use, not so straight forward as the grind can change during the day and into the next day. You are left chasing your tail. I remember with the Robur I used to just dose by volume and a full basket and using my finger to wipe the excess off the top. I think that approach is still better than timed dosing.

Other users will also find it next to impossible to understand your shot preparation unless they are literally looking over your shoulder.

The other thing of course is sometimes users are using impossibly low weights in baskets or using weights of coffee that are inappropriate, either too little or too much. Each basket is different but will have a target weight so a 15g VST basket should generally have about 15g in it not 17g or 13g.

Finally, coffee that is over roasted or under roasted can cause major issues. Over roasting means sticky coffee with oils that can screw up the pour and under roasting causes a lot of issue also.

Comment

Working...
                            X