Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed deciding on an entry level grinder

Hi guys

I'm preparing myself for the likely scenario of upgrading the grinder with a budget for around $500.

Based on my research, it looks like the best options are:
    - Compak K3 Touch/Push
    - Eureka Mignon
    - Macap M2M
    - Sette 270 or 270wi

I'm currently single dosing each time I make coffee so it would be best to go with a grinder that best fits this usage. Aesthetically, Eureka Mignon looks the best and has small footprint but keen to find out from your personal experiences pros and cons of each of these grinders.

Sette seems pretty good too but not sure about it's reliability and plastic build doesn't excite me either.

I'm currently using Breville Smart Grinder Pro and hoping I will be able to see significant difference in the cup with the upgrade.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I will suggest Mahlkonig Vario (used) was one of the best grinders I've used and had a tiny footprint.

Comment

whats more important, how it looks or what it does? very important question often overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo View Post
        whats more important, how it looks or what it does? very important question often overlooked.
        What it does is more important but ideally would like something with bit of a balance. Don't think wife would appreciate some big ugly thing sitting around on the kitchen countertop.

I think my wife could live with the look of all the grinders I have on the shortlist, but not sure about Mahlkonig Vario though...

Comment

The Vario imo was better than the M4D which is way better than anything on your list.
          Theres not much retention with the Vario so good for your single dosing.

I had chute blockages and clumping with the macap. 0 with Vario.

Comment

Originally posted by davltay View Post
            The Vario imo was better than the M4D which is way better than anything on your list.
            Theres not much retention with the Vario so good for your single dosing.

I had chute blockages and clumping with the macap. 0 with Vario.
            Could you please expand on what you mean by better? In terms of grind retention or in other aspects as well?

I guess even if I want to get the Vario, it would mean having to wait for a good used example to come up for sale as brand new is way over my budget.

Comment

Yeah retention build quality, ease of use.

Comment

I presume Mazzer Super Jolly Automatic isn't ideal for home use, especially if I'm looking to use it for single dosing?
                There is a barely used one on scumtree for sale for $650, which I could probably negotiate down, but regardless of whether it's a good deal or not, I want something that fits my needs.

Comment

Try this for single dosing; cheaper, better, from a fellow CSer so less risky than scumtree:

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...k-up-only.html

Or one of these:

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...-modified.html

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...lectronic.html
                  Last edited by level3ninja; 4 November 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm located in Brisbane and would prefer something that hasn't been tinkered with as a noob.
                    Budget-wise, I would need to negotiated down the price fair bit anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by coladuna View Post
                      Unfortunately, I'm located in Brisbane and would prefer something that hasn't been tinkered with as a noob.
                      Budget-wise, I would need to negotiated down the price fair bit anyway.
                      The first link Ninja posted for the mazzer E is what I would be buying, at $450 and setup for single dosing it’s a dam steal.. Far better than anything on your list. And it’s got new burrs installed.

i would buy used from CS long before I consider buying coffee gear off gumtree etc. the chances are good that anybody on this forum would have taken way better care and maintenance of their equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardent View Post
                        The first link Ninja posted for the mazzer E is what I would be buying, at $450 and setup for single dosing it’s a dam steal.. Far better than anything on your list. And it’s got new burrs installed.
                        That's pick up only from NSW anyway though. Well, this grinder I saw on gumtree supposedly only had 5kg of coffee through it so I can't imagine it would be in terrible condition.
                        Regardless, it's a doser grinder so probably not suitable for my requirements anyway. It's a big grinder too.

Comment

You could always message the seller asking about postage. They don't appear to have had much interest (surprisingly), and may be wiling to drop it off at their nearest pack n send or similar. The only way it's been tinkered with is bypassing the hopper switch that doesn't let the motor run if the hopper is not in place. Should be a 2min job to unbypass.

Comment

As a three Vario owner (one with optional steel burrs for the coarser grinds, like my modded "stirrer plunger"), I would add to the davltaypost. In the Turkish to espresso range the Vario will trounce any of the grinders on that initial list (and the "E" or even my old Major for that matter) in terms of extraction and "goodness in the cuppa".

I am a function first guy, so the less faffing around the better. The Vario is a piece of (Ditting) Swiss engineering that "just works". No static, clumping, excess retention, uneven particle spread (my pet peeve), poor dosing (timer is within 0.1g - the limit of my scales) or any of the other "traditional grinder headaches" are included - to the point they are now distant memories. My 2014 Vario is still not showing any sign of wear (even under a microscope) despite grinding over 300Kg of coffee - and that is on the original "long life ceramic" standard burrs.

None of my previous grinders (about 50 of them, some in cafes) come close in terms of lack of fuss / easy to live with domestically - and as a bonus it makes a better tasting coffee with VST baskets.

I really have a sly chuckle when I read about all the arcane dosing (including funnels) & distribution methods (Weiss, Staub etc) which the Vario bypasses as utterly unnecessary. Surely not creating a mess in the first place is a better option?

Anyway, just my two cents.

TampIt

Comment

Saw a used Macap M4D listed in the for sale section. Any thoughts guys? It is a bit over my budget though.
                              It's really hard to decide as there are varying opinions on the web. Vario does seem like a good grinder, but reliability and less than appealing building quality is kind of putting me off TBH.
                              I haven't written it off my shortlist however.

Comment

Working...
                              X