• Show
Clear All

• Seems Legit...NOT

Click image for larger version

Name:	fake niche.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	763512

It seems there are some fakies doing the rounds.

And yet, heaps of punters fall for that load of rubbish...

Mal.

Comment

The risks of outsourcing your manufacturing to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        And yet, heaps of punters fall for that load of rubbish...

Mal.

Yes.

Everyone wants a bargain.
        It was posted on a La Pav lever FB group.

Originally posted by herzog View Post
        Apparently people have been receiving a cheap Chinese knock off of a Chinese product.
        So some must have fallen for it.

Comment

Careful! Not everything made in China is cheap rubbish. Their factories are tooled up to produce high quality produce if the wholesale customer is prepared to pay for it.
          Once, it was low labour costs that allowed cheaper products but not any more. Now, it's more about economies of scale, cheap raw material sources and more lax quality control

Comment

Agree Flynn, poor quality control is probably the number one issue.
            Even the Chinese are now outsourcing to cheaper labour cost countries, but they do have a gigantic market and over the last decade they have focused
            on supplying themselves first as a priority, and feeding their largely US customers second...with mixed results.
            Their marketing is full of unscrupulous, unrestrained exaggerations and outright lies.
            But they are where Japan was in the 1960s when the Japanese would get hold of an Italian car, disassemle it to nuts and bolts, and copy every component to make their own cars.
            Look at them now.

Comment

Seems Legit...NOT

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
              Careful! Not everything made in China is cheap rubbish. Their factories are tooled up to produce high quality produce if the wholesale customer is prepared to pay for it.
              Agreed but not the point I was making.

The risk I was referring to, involved with outsourcing your production to China is theft of your designs and IP.

There’s been countless cases of this. Sadly, Kickstarter designers have been particularly vulnerable. They get their project funded, choose a factory in China for their full scale production, and within months, and sometimes even weeks, there’s exact knockoffs appearing.

Not saying that’s what happened in this specific case though. Could just be a straight out scam.
              Last edited by herzog; 22 November 2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IrisGanache View Post
                It seems there are some fakies doing the rounds.
                I doubt there is even a knock-off product. I bet (someone else's money) it is just a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto View Post
                  Their marketing is full of unscrupulous, unrestrained exaggerations and outright lies.
                  Sounds a bit like our financial services industry

Comment

Agreed but missed the point I was making.

The risk involved with outsourcing your production to China is theft of your designs and IP. .
                    Well I infered wrongly sorry, but it isn't just China that has stolen IP. Where was that fake Rolex or Vuitton handbag made? Not necessarily China.
                    The Japanese did it in the 60s when they were on the way to becoming a manufacturing giant. In fact, it has probably been going on for ages (millenia).

Comment

Whenever I hear of people entrusting their manufacture to China I think back to toy manufacturer Mattel's experience. They supplied the child safe paint which was to be used on one of their product lines. The Chinese manufacturer sold off the child safe paint and substituted a low cost leaded paint for children's toys. That's the mentality in a nutshell. This was some years ago but the profit at any cost mentality still lives on in China.

Comment

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/1-in...year-cnbc.html

“but China remains the world’s principal IP infringer across all types of IP theft, according to a spokesman for the IP Commission, which estimates up $600 billion annually in cost to the U.S. economy from these actions.”

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                          Whenever I hear of people entrusting their manufacture to China I think back to toy manufacturer Mattel's experience.
                          Yes. I was disappointed to see Niche end up there. I guess it's all about bucks in the bank and greed in margins- so often at the expense of local industry.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                            Whenever I hear of people entrusting their manufacture to China I think back to toy manufacturer Mattel's experience. They supplied the child safe paint which was to be used on one of their product lines. The Chinese manufacturer sold off the child safe paint and substituted a low cost leaded paint for children's toys. That's the mentality in a nutshell. This was some years ago but the profit at any cost mentality still lives on in China.
                            Why Mattel Apologized to China - TIME

"On Friday, Mattel's executive vice president for worldwide operations, Thomas Debrowski, met with the Chinese product safety chief Li Changjiang, to apologize for the company's own weak safety controls. "Our reputation has been damaged lately by these recalls," Mr. Debrowski told Li. "And Mattel takes full responsibility for these recalls and apologizes personally to you, the Chinese people, and all of our customers who received the toys."

Comment

Some Chinese companies which go into partnership with manufacturers from other countries do steal the original design.
                              Take Honda...which manufactured their generators at the Kipor factory in China. There was a disagreement, Honda pulled out, but Kipor kept producing the same design gennies under their own name. (I have 2 of them and one came in handy during yesterday's blackout).
                              China has brought confusion and deceit to leather goods. "Genuine PU leather." PU=polyurethane, which is not leather. Or "genuine leather" which is actually PU or pvc. Or "genuine leather" which is leather fibres pressed and glued together to "make belts, coated with PVC or PU which last 6 weeks if you're lucky.
                              "Made in Italy" leather handbags actually made in China.
                              Rollex watches made in China and definitely not Rolex with one "l".
                              Murano glassware made not by craftsmen in Venice, but by Chinese in China -- who coped the design from tourist photos (now not allowed in the Murano showroom for this very reason).
                              The list goes on...
                              What's wrong with this?
                              It's bloody dishonest. Full stop.
                              It's theft.
                              The quality is probably not as good as the original.
                              It deprives the original companies of profit earned from good practices and investment in R&D.

Comment

Working...
                              X