Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I work out what sort of grinder to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I work out what sort of grinder to get?

Hi! Umm... so I need a grinder.... I like coffee, I care greatly about the quality, but I struggle with the technical side of things that get you to the desired result and I’m a ‘researcher’ I like to over analyse everything too much.
    So where do I start to figure out what I’m looking for in a grinder?
    i make 2-3 short blacks a day, sometimes I have a guest that I will make coffee for but very rarely, I’m not social like that.
    I have a good friend that sends me coffee that he roasts, so it’s very good coffee, fresh.
    I have a good machine (Nemox napolitana; it’s built in grinder broke, I was happy with it)
    I do like to vary the coffee beans up, not drink the same one day in day out so that would be a bonus if it’s easy to change out *or* cheap enough for me to own two grinders (I will be hunting second hand preferably)
    do I want a doser or no? Do I want electric/timer etc or not necessary?
    what else ? I see grinder convos in here get very technical and complicated and that’s all way above my head 😓 many thanks in advance for any advice!

G'day "Trixitrine"...

First things first I guess, what would your budget limit be?

Mal.

Comment

Up to $300 second hand price, I guess (please don’t roast me ��)

Comment

This one might be right up your alley...
        https://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-ha...tml#post668274
        Great little grinders from a very reputable manufacturer and well supported.

Mal.

Comment

Thankyou x so these are good? Another person I spoke to offered me a nuova simonelli MCF, which is practically the same thing from what I can work out, can not find very much info about them at all, but interesting 2 people have recommended almost identical things to me so far, both of which I have never heard of until tonight lol

Comment

Hello again...

Yes the NS MCF grinder is a re-badged Eureka such as the one being listed in our 4-Sale section that I linked to. Not sure which option of the MCF you're being offered but I would recommend the Eureka without the Doser as a better proposition for home use - less to go wrong and simpler to clean.

Mal.

Comment

As it turns out it’s even more complicated! I have discovered the one I was offered is a Victoria Arduino cased eureka badged as Nuova??? I’m so confused!
              It has a doser.... its $200... is that good?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8DD4DFF0-6439-4F56-BAF2-78C319829B03.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	751321
              Attached Files

Comment

How well do you know the seller of the MCF?
                Is a user history with KG throughput available?
                If an older machine, has the burr-set been replaced recently? If not, you might be up for a replacement set which can cost from $50-80 - Would this be acceptable?
                As I mentioned, for home use a doserless machine is more practical in my opinion - based on a couple of decades of personal experience...

I guess the rest is up to you re: cosmetic condition, etc...

Mal.

Comment

man... i love a doser when i first bought a "proper" grinder... whacking it after a long grind makes you feel like a real "barista"

...... for a few weeks anyway....

brushing, cleaning, trying to get the last of the grinds out of it to ensure a consistent amount too the shine away pretty quick for me

Yeah had a Eureka Mignon before, and they are great, and small footprint on your bench... I would have kept it if I didnt have a few giant grinders to choose from back then

Comment

Originally posted by Trixitrine View Post
                    Doser vs doseless: the executive summary is, if you run a cafe or regularly entertain multiple guests or you have a large family which makes multiple coffees a day, you will want a doser.
                    Given you make 2-3 short blacks a day, you will want a doserless grinder, unless you don't care about making coffees with stale grinds.

I personally think only fast grinders should be paired with dosers.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixitrine View Post
                      As it turns out it’s even more complicated! I have discovered the one I was offered is a Victoria Arduino cased eureka badged as Nuova??? I’m so confused!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24844[/ATTACH]
                      No I wouldn’t pay $200 for that, UNLESS it’s just had a professional service including an electrical test tag and has relatively new burrs and a proven service history.

Comment

He is a reputable seller, and I might be able to find all of that out ☺️ But as of right now - no I do not know. The more I read; oh and I f oud your sticky post about choosing a grinder - between that and the advice here I feel I agree, doserless for my needs.

Comment

I recommend a lido hand grinder. It grinds 18g beans in 45sec, and has tiny retention.
                          Only issue, is you have to wind the handle. Maybe test it at espresso setting to see if it's too hard a job. Personally I don't mind the effort.
                          I have a adhesive scale affixed, so it's easy to mark the setting for one bean, and change to another

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                            I recommend a lido hand grinder. It grinds 18g beans in 45sec,
                            damn thats quicker than my Porlex mini that takes forever

Comment

I had a porlex. Very poor, and slow... I got a precision as a French press grinder, way better.
                              But the lido grinds at espresso in same time as the precision at French press grind.

Do yourself a favour, save up for a precision

Comment

Working...
                              X